2008 STi Discussion Thread (Please keep all 2008 STi talk in here!)

Discussion in 'General Community' started by josh booth, Oct 24, 2006.

1. V_WRX

V_WRX Member

"Most station wagons are modified sedan-type car bodies, having the main interior area extended to the near-vertical rear window over what would otherwise be the enclosed area of the sedan version. A hatchback car, although meeting a similar description, would not enjoy the full height of the passenger cabin all the way to the back; the rear glass of a hatchback being sloped further from vertical, and the hatch tending not to reach fully to the rear bumper, as it commonly would in a station wagon. Station wagons also have side windows over the cargo area, whereas some hatchbacks have thick "C" pillars and no cargo area windows."

I don't want to argue but i get annoyed when people call it a wagon. Technnically it's a hatchback, even though it's a four dour. The difference between a hatchback and a wagon is that the roofline on the wagon extends all the way to the back, (with a large area behind the rear axles) to form a 90 degree angle (usually) with the trunk door and the bumper. Wagons also have the 3 side windows/overhangs roughly the same size. You wouldn't call a four door golf a wagon (actually it has a wagon version sold in europe with 3 rows of windows). Or the mazda 3 hatchback, the twin brother of the new impreza. :) I wouldn't mind the new impreza having a true wagon version, it would be more practical.

Sorry about the threadjack./

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

me rikey!!!

I want THAT one, with the 6 pots and the roll cage.

:wiggle:

3. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

i love it

4. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

i remember when people were bitching about the quad exhausts on the new 3s...and now everyone love em.. i think this design will grow on people

5. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

Except for having to buy run-flat tires all the time, or risking not having a spare. I didn't like that when I looked at the M roadsters and coupes, unless you wanted to use the trunk space for an extra tire.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

This one fro m the side reminds me of a larger m roadster.

I like it, I want one.

7. Deke

Deke Active Member

I like it until I look at that ugly ass rear end. It ruins the whole effing car for me. It's a freaking mazda 3!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I mean seriously, look at the first picture on this thread. Take your finger and cover up the top rear section (everything that wouldn't be there if it was a sedan). Now how much better does that look!? And that's just a finger chop! Imagine the real thing! (and I'm not talking about the sorry excuse for a sedan the new wrx is). I different rear end would make the car 10x better looking. Nay, 100x better.

I do spy "RECARO" on the seats though...

And I am extremely grateful it doesn't have a huge wing on it...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  8. Think they would get better track times if they checked the air pressure in the front tire?

[​IMG]

9. WJM

WJM Banned

^^HAHAHAHA.

N00bs.

still ugly as fuck....but better than the non-sti.

10. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

it does youre right..damn..now i gota finger print on my monitor...thanks...lol

11. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

if the chip fits my car and the algo's are fixed, i'm happy... remember folks this still has to be lev2 compliant, which is what fucked up the 07 ecu.

12. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Somebody at Subaru should be fired for putting those tail lights on the car. What are they, 10 years late to the party on those???

13. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

IIRC, from the Subaru brochure the LED tails are a safety thing

14. FACE

FACE Active Member

would look much better with the rally wing...

15. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

i havent had a flat tire since i got the M.. i like me runflats =)

16. Well, I for one like it.
    I plan on getting one after the bugs get worked out for the first MY. Probably used, or maybe new if I have the funds by then.

I hope they have black with gold wheels as an option. :D

17. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

De-chrome the taillights and we're in business.

18. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

we were rockin clear tail lights 10+ years ago...like mentioned.lol i guess it's okay? but, for 33k or whatever it cost...i wouldn't.

19. RamblinWRX

RamblinWRX Member

the front tire isn't flat, it's just in a depression in the road.

20. ddwyer50

ddwyer50 Member

looks hideous. I was about to say it looks like a mazda but I was beat to it

21. It actually looks ok. Lolol.

22. 4sevens

4sevens Member

Looks crammed in there.

23. Yeah, I noticed that it did look cramped in there... But I think it might be the helmets and the huge seats for testing making the open space look smaller. I dont see those ginormous seats going into production, but we'll see.

24. Kolgoth

Kolgoth Supporting Member

The LED part doesn't bother me - it's the Altezza chrome that does... LED is good - "Euro Lights" (never understood that term since it came from the JDM Altezza) however are not anymore - 1999 was a long time ago - leave them there! haha

Alex - if I get one - you're definitely blackin out the tails!

25. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

Just my opinion, however, it seems like with many forms of design, when designers can't reinvent timeless design one more time, they bring back something that was best left where it was in history. Seems like what is happening to BMW is now spilling over to other auto makers.

The lines and moves of the Mazda 3, most particularly, the reverse upsweept rear quarter window, can be traced back to the AMC Gremlin; they also appeared again on the BMW M3 series ZCoupe.

These remain some of the weakest design moves of all time and simply can't be re-invented to overcome what they in fact are, just poor design ideas best left on the cars they originally appeared on.

26. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

You own a Matrix and a blob eye subaru and you're talking about other cars being ugly? ;)

27. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

I don't really care for the new Rexes or STi's. I just don't care for the design.

Mark

28. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

hey now..... the blob eyes are the bestest looking Subaru's...:wtc:

Those tail-lights are hideous though. LED tail-lights would be nice, but not when they look like those.

29. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

you shut your face

bugeye FTMFW

30. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I have to agree, except if you count the GCs, then that is the winner

31. BelvnAWD

The point was that no Subaru has ever been considered a paragon of automotive styling. I'm not going to even start on Toyota, outside of the MKII MR2s, what Toyota Product was ever considered a style icon, and don't even try the Supra, awesome car yes, cutting edge style, no. While many may not agree with the Banglized BMWs, I still think you'll have a vast majority of people agree that Bimmers look nicer than Subbies. The Mazda 3, especially the speed, is also considered a nice looking little pocket rocket by most of the automotive world...

And I owned a blob eye!!!!

32. KtownSubaru

KtownSubaru Member

Yea you're gonna catch a lot of crap for insulting the bug-eyes

33. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Bugeyes FTW!!!

34. deadred

deadred Member

I have to say that the new design has definately grown on me alot. Bugeyes FTW though.

35. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

A lot of people who have seen my 08 tell me that they had their doubts based on pictures, but when they're looking at my car in person they like it a lot, especially in the blue. Sure it's a total departure from previous models, but change is good. I mean, not a single WRX on the road could really be called gorgeous. They just look menacing and fast as shit, like "that car will burn my rice-a-riffic ass." Once I get some pictures of my car up, you guys will see that it carries the tradition quite well, especially from the front with the blacked out grill, which is the last thing that unsuspecting boxster owner will see before he is royally pwned. Based on these shots, I think the STi is gonna be hot as shit. It just looks like a real live rally car, which is the way WRXs should look.

And I like the bugeyes. They made me want a WRX...with that sweet commercial from like 6 years ago...remember?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7xFJ8yefRA

^that one!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  36. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

i like the 5 door option
    i wish my wagon was an STi but the 2008 5 door i would consider if i didnt have a wagon

37. That commercial is why I drive a WRX. I remember telling everyone to shut the hell up so I could listen to that commercial... After it was over I then realized I was in my in-laws living room and I just told my wifes parents to shut up...

Worth it. :wiggle:

38. BelvnAWD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More official "teaser" pics...

39. rexrocker

rexrocker Active Member

Mmmm, fender flares. I'm still reserving judgment until I see it in person...I briefly saw a red '08 at SOG yesterday and the first word that came to my mind was...FUGLY. We'll see...

40. baddriver

baddriver Active Member

What's the relevance of the date in the image 10-24-2007?

is is being fully unveiled then?

41. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

42. Hot damn!

not digging the 5 spoke wheels - too ordinary. But I am DIGGING that dark grey or black - whichever.

43. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

44. longfury

longfury Active Member

According to a brochure that was leaked to NASIOC, the BBS wheels are optional...

Still looks like poo. I'll take one Evo with a DSG style gearbox please. The STI appears that it will not have such a gearbox. Which is a big selling point to me. My knees are not as good as they used to be and the day that I can't drive a traditional manual are coming fast.

45. BelvnAWD

I REALLY like that! A used one in 2010 should be what, 22k?

46. Demo24

Demo24 Member

dsg will be coming, has been said so from the start of any rumours about this car.

I however really like it! Tails and all! Put that dark bit on the front and everything will be good.

The evo got fatter and slower, this one should have lost some weight and gotten faster. Hopefully thats the case! If so, might have to seriously consider getting me one. :cool:

47. longfury

longfury Active Member

I know a DSG will come eventually. The car is not pleasing to my eyes though. I also don't want a hatch/wagon. The STI has not lost much weight. We really won't know much till the USDM model is announced. It could be heavier than the JDM model. That goes for the Evo too.

The Evo has not lost its great handling and that's what matters to me. The STI will still have more understeer at the limit than the Evo. I don't see Subaru changing that. I drive an RX8. That car is miles slower than even a base WRX and I am miles happier. Handling is more important to me than all out straight line performance. I know, I am strange.

48. I couldn't agree more. The Evo seems to have gone way off base with it being heavier than previous models, while the STi is supposed to be lighter than previous models... can you picture the Evo in a rally?? :hsnono:

49. BrianGT

BrianGT Banned

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The RS is a good bit lighter than the GSR and that is probably what they will base the rally cars off of.

50. longfury

longfury Active Member

I really think I have lost my love and desire to own a Subaru. I never thought I would be defending the Evo after owning my first WRX. Now I can only see myself in a Legacy GT Spec-B. Its the only car that Subaru makes that appeals to me. Even then I would only get it if I could not get a BMW 3 series or an Audi A4 or the 135i sedan thats rumored.

I think it may have to do with my accident in my 04. After rolling the car and see the roof collapse it really scared me off. I did buy an 06 but was very terrified of another roll over and roof collapse.

Combine all this with the styling of the new Impreza and I just can't see myself ever owning one again.