2013 Black STI / JPM / ETS / TSM / BallEngines

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by digitizedsoul, Jul 17, 2014.

1. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

Could I pick up that ATE blue? I could use an extra can! Is rather top off than switch to the amber.

2. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

Man you guys are awesome, had no idea bout any of this!
    However, I have the nav head unit, not that one :(

3. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

If you want to keep that but replace everything else, you can do a factory integration solution like the JBL MS8, RF 3sixty.3 or others.

4. digitizedsoul

Yeah that's a really tough decision, the nav works halfway decent and has XM traffic integration which is handy (even trumps google maps half the time)

However it will only play "divx" format videos from a USB stick, and annoyingly relies on both the e-brake AND vehicle speed (via gps) for playback of video and entering nav info for a new address.

It's also a little bit clunky of an interface, touchscreen kinda meh I have always preferred physical buttons.

5. digitizedsoul

But it does have HD radio which I use all the time, and isn't entirely prehistoric in those regards.

6. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

do you have the same shitty nav system that I have? It truly is the worst part of the stereo.

7. rsutton1223

Pioneer. Trust me.

8. Matt

AVIC at that... none of the other crap appradio or anything.

9. digitizedsoul

I'm really annoyed actually no one has made a true android head unit yet.
    CarPC's are the only way to go with native android.
    Folks have written dozens of GUI's that work amazingly well.

10. rsutton1223

Too much to develop for. The fragmentation within Android is horrific. They are trying to make it more streamlined and consistent as of late but there are just so many devices out there with different coding that the cost of development is really high.

11. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

CarPC's are a royal pain in the arse and never completely stable.....don't do it.

12. digitizedsoul

If I did do one, it would be my 5th. Well acquainted with that scene, and yes I will not be doing another one.

I found a setting called "SVC" (speed volume control??) in my Fuijitsu ten nav head unit, cranked that all the way up to 20 and it seemed to help balance things out quite a bit.

Also I have the kicker 10" factory add-in sub which amp's the speakers AND the sub I believe. Whenever I crank the volume, the sub loses power for sure, but down low it sounds amazing. I bet if I messed with what was amp'ing what it would help out even more.

All of this of course is just folly since I will likely end up replacing it all, but not for a while as it isn't free.

13. Matt

what are your equalizer settings?

The cabin on the BRZ is different from the Impreza for sure, but I've got a custom setting that seemed to help the speakers wake up.

[​IMG]

I dunno if that will help yours, but it's a start and you can tweak it from there.

14. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

15. digitizedsoul

Oh wow yours are way different then mine.
    I had to bring my lows down a little actually otherwise the kicker sub just completely dominates at lower volume and you can't even hear the other speakers.

I'll take a pic shortly. Another annoying thing is that SOME settings (SVC being one of them) are "per mode" settings, so if you switch from SAT radio to USB or Bluetooth, you need to define the settings again. I think the EQ is global though.

16. digitizedsoul

THIS

I have read of several doing tablet drop-in's.
    The only reason I haven't is because I lapsed my hackerspace membership and don't have access to a 3d printer anymore, and also I have a tough time committing to one type of tablet (dimensions, size) knowing how often they get updated / upgraded.

This is probably the ultimate setup though, you can run torque like he did for OBDII stuff, and also have all the other goodies. Integrating voice control with android and the steering wheel controls would be a sweet setup indeed.

I might pester your new "IT guy" a little :wiggle:

17. Matt

Come to think about it, that might not even be the updated settings, either. I'll check it when I get to the car in a little while.

18. Matt

soooo yeah. I was a little off. here are the newer settings I've been using.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sound position is actually turned off for me. I've messed with all sorts of options and that's the one that works best for the car. surprisingly.

19. Matt

Any update to your stereo woes?

20. digitizedsoul

Well I have it a lot more balanced and stuff now, but i'm still trying to figure out how this built-in amp on the kicker 10" is powering the other speakers, and if so which ones.
    I could always just upgrade that sucker and see how it does heh.

21. rsutton1223

It only powers the sub. You can buy that as an add-on from the dealership.

22. digitizedsoul

wheel barrow fell off my garage wall hook (hook broke), and landed on my passenger rear door with it's two "feet", sliding down the rest of it's trip to the ground.
    Door will probably need to be replaced now.

23. OddJob

OddJob New Member

That sucks man, sorry your weekend just turned to poop. I use to know the name of two places that specialize in Subaru parts like this. Let me see if I can find the info for you.

24. KGraska

KGraska Member

You can probably just get an outer door skin if they cant repair yours...shouldn't be too bad. Pics?

25. digitizedsoul

Trying to forget the wheel barrow incident..... :|

In other news, attended the Georgia 1/2 mile event put on by WannaGoFast in Clayton, and faired pretty well. Ran a 147mph top speed and spanked a 911, 150shot nitrous breathing camaro drag car and actually my toughest race was barely taking out a fellow subaru forester STI swap with a VF39! Talk about a driver mod though, this guy launched that fozzy like NASA did the Saturn 5 in apollo 13. Dude was OUT!

[youtube]ZibioUt5ppE[/youtube]

All video credit for that run go to Ben Francis for his awesome generosity!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152741525121983

Not sure if that link will work, but that's Ron Ewerth's forester. Look for me to blast past him in his 2nd run (after the mustang and hilarious commentary) but he launched on me HARD, and my launch control failed horribly with a bog.

All in all it was a great day with Justin from TSM running a 148mph beating me out by 1mph for fastest subaru!!!!!! (Not an official class btw)

26. digitizedsoul

In other news, reviewed my datalog from the above run, and noticed that my inlet air temp went from 109 (heat soaked from being in line) to 143 when I let off at the end.
    Clearly my front bumper is blocking most of my intercooler (it in fact is doing just that) and so it's time to completely hack it up or get a different one.
    Varis makes one and i've seen one other, but neither really look that good honestly. What are the options for GR front bumpers?

27. wEaK Squad

wEaK Squad Member

I'm really tempted to throw a sprayer on mine or a slim fan on the back side of it and see what happens

28. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Have you moved the location of your stock inlet temp sensor? If so where to?

29. liltoua

liltoua Member

Great run man! Saw all kinds of videos from that event. Look like a blast. I was going to head down there to watch, but the weather man said 50% chance of rain :(

30. digitizedsoul

It's actually just before the throttle body where ETS welded the bung for me.

31. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

YEAH YOU RIGHT!! :naughty:

32. rsutton1223

Nice run man. Congrats.

33. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I see....SD tuned.

Does the 2013 really have a airflow issue for the FMIC? Would the problem be more of insufficient flow for the intake itself (ie the air filter?).

On my 2004 the FMIC always had great flow but the inlet always needed improvement. Mine was more important since I couldn't do SD.

Just a question for thought?

34. digitizedsoul

My intercooler is only about 20% exposed right now.
    Out of 30 rows, maybe 5 or 6 are showing.
    Front bumper needs hacking up BIG TIME

35. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Oh wow yeah that will make a difference. Now I remember cutting out quite a bit on mine.

36. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

V-Mount?

37. Enzo

Enzo Supporting Member

James, that rx-7 (the only one still running rotary) that was killing it throughout the day had a sick V-mount on his FD body.

38. digitizedsoul

V Mount, like tilted back?
    Not sure what that is.
    I do know my bumper covering it sucks right now, and on the street you never notice that. Only when doing these insanely long WOT pulls like a 1/2 mile.
    Or highway kills lol

39. Enzo

Enzo Supporting Member

The intercooler is shaped live a "V" but this way ">" the there is more surface area. Process west as one for around $4K

40. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Still dont think this will help him much. I would say open up the front bumper opening first and see how much that helps before going radical with a vmount.

41. digitizedsoul

Yeah my bumper is a huge problem. I would have run no bumper if it wasn't for the horrible aero, and it would have ripped my fender liners off LOL

42. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Vmount isn't going to solve much in his case....that bumper needs to be opened up.

43. Justin V

Justin V Member

I think ur prollem is the heat under the hood. no turbo blanket no wrap or ceramic on the manifold. didn't notice if the scoop was blocked off.

But you are generating a lot of heat in the bay itself (after the intercooler) and the turbulence from the scoop being open allows it to swirl rather than exit.

its science bro... look it up

I'd be happy to log my AIT temps when I am back up as my manifold and uppie are wrapped and turbo is coated and blanketed. scoop has been deleted and replaced with louvres

44. Enzo

Enzo Supporting Member

Since I still have the stock TMIC I don't have a ton of piping or anything under my hood but this was an issue in my old pontiac. I used a spray on coating that looked terrible but it worked. Here's a thread on nasioc that I read a while back on downpipes but about halfway down in the first post there is a bunch of information on pipe coatings and pros and cons between types

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445812

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  45. digitizedsoul

Haha just found this gem of me against vision motorsports owner in his forester sti swap.

[youtube]GQsI4O79t2U[/youtube]

46. Justin V

Justin V Member

Saw that one from the finish line... nice pull

47. rsutton1223

I would do these things first as well before hacking up the bumper. The turbo and header really need to be wrapped or coated. All of that heat is just hanging out and getting sucked in through the intake.

To be honest...other than removing the black plastic section of the bumper that is not painted (I did that too), I haven't seen anyone open up the bumper anymore on the 11+'s and that is on some pretty large drag builds. There is one guy that did a V mount setup and the fab work is pretty extensive. Doesn't look worth it in my opinion unless you are going to be seriously road coursing the car on more slow speed setups like Auto-X. Otherwise...everyone just removes that satin black plastic piece and seems to work great with that setup.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  48. digitizedsoul

Yeah I should have wrapped and coated when it was apart, but I was in a hurry LOL.
    Maybe I can survive the winter temps ok and re-visit it in the summer.

49. digitizedsoul

also lol @ "it's science bro!"

Nice finally meeting you Justin, we need to collaborate minds sometime and put some miles on these cars of ours.

50. digitizedsoul

Wow it's been a while since I posted anything in here.
    I'll just quote my FB post for now:
    "It's pretty cool when you can bust all 4 tires loose in an AWD car in the dry with just boost, no clutch. SUBARU POWER BRO!"

With that said, I'll be doing the following in the next 3 or 4 months most likely:

New Tires
    New pads
    New brake fluid
    New SS brake lines
    Crawford AOS
    Retrofitted / black out headlights (read, dana)
    Correct my front bumper finally (read, steve)

Later on possibly next year in the summer I want to slap on a Tomei Expreme TI single exit exhaust and plumb my wastegate dump tube back into the exhaust. As fun as it's been, being a street car means staying <14psi unless you want it opening. Sometimes it's PERFECT and a flawless addition to an otherwise boring fly by, but most of the time it attracts a lot of attention when you are just trying to blip around someone.

I am also toying with the idea of switching from the Grimmspeed EBC to my Hallman Pro RX. I'm currently weighing the pro's and con's of doing so.

Pro's:
    Quicker spool, even if it's barely noticeable
    No flutter in the sound of the wastegate from the solenoid opening / closing hundreds of times per second. Especially with the dump tube, WOT @ 25psi sounds horrible because in the sound of the dump tube you hear the wastegate opening / closing super fast. I can even hear it in my videos of the 1/2 mile from outside the car.

Con's:
    Loss of SI-Drive knob functionality. Without using it to control boost electronically, what good will it be? And it's a really cool feature of the car. I really wish Cobb would develop functionality for it beyond it's factory use.