2013 Black STI / JPM / ETS / TSM / BallEngines

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by digitizedsoul, Jul 17, 2014.

1. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

I run those rotors w/ the Stoptech pads for the street and it's pretty decent performance. I've noticed a difference in pad bite certainly over the past year and change I've had them on. I'm about to run the DBA t3 4000 rotors w/ Project Mu BForce pads. A lot of the TougeFighter guys love the PMu pads.

2. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

DBA Rotors with Hawk HPS pads.

3. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

I ran the DBA rotors with Hawk Ceramics. I have the Hawk ceramics on the V as well.

4. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

Ceramic's dust less right? What are the other pro's con's?

5. digitizedsoul

6. rsutton1223

7. Drowland87

Drowland87 Staff Member Supporting Member

Call and confirm on the DBAs first. A friend of mine ordered some for his EVO IX MR and it turned out DBA was back ordered until August or September.

8. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I've got the DBA's in stock, sorry I'm a little late, if you haven't m already picked them up I'll get you a quote

9. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

Hey dude, you should add the WannaGoFast event video to your first post w/ the dyno videos.

10. digitizedsoul

Ha, yeah I should! First I need to fix all the broken links from deactivating facebook lol.

Just ordered these from TougeFighter, WHAT A DEAL wow if you need this stuff be sure to ask Sparta before you buy from anywhere else, he's nearly giving stuff away over there haha.

[​IMG]

11. digitizedsoul

I'm going to go talk to Discount Tire about some PSS's probably this or next week. Gonna be another 1000$ but got to do it.

I would really like to paint my calipers STI red while i'm doing all this but haven't done the research on the best way to do it. Also I don't have a stencil for the "STI" lettering on them now and i'd really like to keep that.

12. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

13. digitizedsoul

ha sweet! didn't even know it was a sticker. Do you guys know anyone who's done the right color red already and can save me the trouble trying a few swatches and waiting to dry to compare?

14. digitizedsoul

15. digitizedsoul

I think i'll skip this even though it would look amazing.
    Powder coating is probably the only real way to do it, after talking to some friends most paints won't stand up to the heat and will flake off pretty shortly after some aggressive mountain runs, etc.

Just thought i'd try while I had the wheels off and calipers off to replace the rotors.

16. Matt

pretty sure Robb did the stickers when he powdercoated his....twice

17. rsutton1223

Had to powdercoat the Subaru calipers have heavy road course use. Mountain runs and any straightline stuff had no effect on them at all.

Most of the V guys paint theirs with no issue. I painted my first...hated the way the color came out (it was too dark) so I sent them to thepowdercoater.com and got them done (he did the second round on the Subaru calipers as well).

FWIW...the rears on the Subaru were always painted and even held up to heavy road course use.

You would be fine with paint. You don't road course the car.

18. Matt

I meant just the stickers... but yeah.

19. rsutton1223

Yeah. Regular vinyl cut at home then I cleared over everything with hi-temp engine block clear when I painted them and powdercoat guys use them as well. I don't think anyone uses a stencil.

20. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I painted my calipers with high temp caliper paint....zero issues.

21. digitizedsoul

Got the brake hardware in:

[​IMG]

They quickly passed quality inspection:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. digitizedsoul

Also forgot to post these up from this spring when my STI got lost in the woods near deal's gap :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. digitizedsoul

24. digitizedsoul

went with that (2 cans to be safe) and 1 of cleaner, 1 of primer and 1 of clear coat.

25. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

That's what I used. Cleaning and prep is the key.

26. digitizedsoul

Ordered 1 can of cleaner, 1 of primer, 2 of color and 1 of clear.
    Should be enough I think for 4 calipers.

Going to clean, sand, clean again then prime.

In other news i'm going to get Michelin PSS's on today at the Lilburn discount tire. I am getting them installed, warrantied, tax, out the door for 900$ even PLUS the 70$ mail in rebate from michelin so really 830$ once I get that back.
    (Shout out to Kevin Arroyo and thanks Justin from Eco Auto clean for referral!)

Once I get them on i'll likely park it for a while until I get an alignment done at All pro and also do the brakes. Not sure that Steven / Brandon want to waste time helping me paint my calipers while doing the brakes, so I'm seeing if Dana / Touge Fighter will assist me with the overall process. Always nice to have an extra set of knowledgeable hands.

Soon i'll have pic's of nice new painted brakes, slotted DBA's rotors, and new rubber all around. Gonna be sick!

27. Justin V

Justin V Member

If you want to get real froggy, I had the original red 4pots that had been sprayed black, the black chipped and red showed through so I used aircraft stripper to take them all the way down to bare metal.

Pepboys sells it.

I repainted with black duplicolor ceramic high heat something... the cheap stuff.

I figured they're brake calipers and going to be dirty and behind the wheels most of the time.

You doing the calipers on the car? or disconnecting the brake lines and rebleeding later? Mine were off to rebuild with new seals and boots anyways.

28. digitizedsoul

Haven't decided yet, since i'm doing pad's and rotors they will be mostly off minus breaking the fluid seal so might just do that. I don't really need to change fluid since mine never gets to it's boiling point just street driving.

29. digitizedsoul

In other news, took off the o'l dunlop SP 600 stockers today at 37,700 miles. I got my moneys worth out of these suckers!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put on PSS's in 255 size. They look awesome, i'll put up some pic's later.

30. digitizedsoul

The entire car felt different after putting them on too. I know that is always the case but on this car it felt particularly noticeable. Seems like even the clutch engaging felt different and better haha.

Now to get all pro to make sure alignment is proper and do the brakes / paint calipers.

31. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Im down to help with install. Like I said though, not sure what my schedule is this week but I will let you know when I catch a break from work!

32. digitizedsoul

Sweet, paint should be here tomorrow for the calipers, and the brembo stickers.

33. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Man you wore those tires out! Belts almost showing.

34. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

How I feel whenever I change something on the car....

Bought an iphone charger, felt like car was pulling better. :rofl::rofl:

35. digitizedsoul

Ok while waiting on the brakes, I'm considering adding these:

Description Qty Price Total
    STI Transmission Mount Subaru STI 6MT 2004-2015
    Part# STI D1010FE000
    Availability: 10+ In Stock
    Fitment: Confirmed for 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Limited Sedan 2.5L

$86.95 $86.95
    Whiteline Gearbox Positive Shift Kit Subaru Models (inc. 2008-2015 WRX / 2008-2015 STI)
    Part# WHI KDT901
    Availability: 10+ In Stock
    Fitment: Confirmed for 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Limited Sedan 2.5L

$49.32 $49.32
    Empty Your Shopping Cart Sub-Total: $136.27

Group N tranny mount and whiteline positive shift kit. The reason is two fold.
    1. I have mis-shifted (especially 1st to 2nd) more often then I would like to admit even with the holy shift kit and I attribute it to the transmission moving / flexing and with the shift kit you actually feel this even more it seems.

2. The access plate behind the clutch / flywheel (used for engine assembly / dissembly) had the bottom left bolt break off on me when I was putting it back on after the initial build. As a result I used a ton of fujibond on that area to try and compensate, but pretty sure it's leaking. I know I have a tiny oil leak somewhere, and it appears to be coming from there. I figure while I have the tranny dropped to access it and try to fix it I can install these at the same time.

Anyone know a place to get a better deal then RSD?
    I think the Group-N tranny mount will be good since i'm almost exclusively street driving, and the whiteline positive shift kit bushings have such a great reputation especially in that combination.
    Should I worry about the pitch stop too?

36. Justin V

Justin V Member

Hi James!

My tranny was all dooded out. I know you just spent a bunch on brakes and tires so here are some options on the tranny.

My mount was ghetto fab-oo-luss. It was a stock mount just filled with a tube of polyurethane or silicone from home depot. It fills the voids in the tranny mount and limits lateral movement. Pitch stop does front to rear.

Aside from that I have every bushing. Kartboy stabilizers F & R then all the TiC ones.
    I did the Kartboys on my buddy's GR and he said the front was too noisy so we removed it and just left the rear.

The TiC was probably the cheapest bushings, that's usually why I buy stuff.

They have the tranny cradle bushings that are nice, those are a PITA to install as they like to walk around especially after greasing them. I had the kartboys before, didn't know it so that's why I ordered the TiC.

I also did the trunion bushings. Mine is an 04 tranny so they were the press fit bushings, the new ones drop right in so I don't know if they have more slack. That was a big difference.

There's a bushing in the shifter lever but I don't think too much of it. As it just mostly stiffens F to R movement.

I'd fill the stock mount, kartboy rear or torque solutions is probably the cheaper option, and consider the trunion ones, that twisting is the most complex movement and the first connection out of the tranny. The rest just hold stationary stuff in place or minimize deflection in one direction.

The trunion is a biatch to install because the bolts to not come out of the linkage because the tunnel is too close. But with the cradle and mount removed you might be able to move the tranny toward the passenger's side and get it out.

I'm gonna try and pull my trans in the next few days if you need pics of the linkage.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  37. digitizedsoul

Wow thanks! Tons of good info, great to have in the thread.

Yeah the NVH is key since it's just for the street and I do drive it with the wife and baby sometimes. Also it would probably annoy me too haha.
    Everyone has said that the whiteline combined with group N mount (or your homemade filled idea) is not bad for NVH but stiffens up the torque twisting quite a bit.

My problem has always been primarily 1st to 2nd during a hard launch, but 2nd to 3rd and even 4th to 5th have been issues before where you are aligning the shifter for the next fork. You almost have to "aim" to compensate for the torque which fluctuates obviously.

38. Justin V

Justin V Member

Yeah those stock cradle pieces are thin and flimsy. I think they'd make a big difference.

What shifter is in it? Stock? Spt? Kartboy? I missed down shifts with the kartboy, but stock heads can rev to 8k!

I went gangsta and put a 5" extension on the lever and loved it. So close to the steering wheel. The extra leverage made it easy to find gears and the kartboy shifter shortened the throw so I wasn't rowing a boat with the extra length.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  39. digitizedsoul

Wow that's awesome! I have the holy shift kit, so kartboy shifter, kartboy bushings WITH the SPT linkage / arm (since I had the SPT short throw originally)

That is the true holy shift kit. Often people leave out the SPT linkage because of cost but still call it the "holy shift kit".

40. digitizedsoul

Just submitted a claim with allstate for when the wheel barrow fell on the side, fender got dented, wheel liners falling off / useless, and bumper needing to be fixed since the FMIC cutout.
    Going to be awesome to get all this stuff fixed it's been driving me INSANE.
    Also going to remove the carbign craft carbon fiber license plate border since the clear coat is completely ruined on it. Don't ever buy their stuff, it doesn't last 5 minutes. My car doesn't even sit in the sun too.

Hopefully the brembo stickers will arrive by then from freakin CHINA (no clue that I had bought them from a chinese seller) so I can do the brakes.

Also coming up at some point is the work @ TSM getting the dump tube plumbed back into the downpipe, and might wrap the exhaust components at the same time since I never did to begin with.
    Only thing left at that point will be addressing the tiny oil leak coming from somewhere behind the clutch / flywheel (access plate or whatever).

41. digitizedsoul

For anyone who's interested (most people already know the full story) I posted my first thread on NASIOC in the members car area.
    Feel like i've been selling myself short by not exposing myself to a national audience with a build like mine.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2743417

was a beast to put that together haha, pretty cool seeing it all in order with pic's and remembering the journey.

42. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Ever get the brakes on? I should be free this weekend

43. digitizedsoul

Not yet, still waiting on the white brembo stickers from china haha.

They should be here by the weekend though. I have the paint ready to go.
    Where would you want to do it at?

44. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

sorry my cousins are slow over there with all the economic turmoil.

:p

45. Matt

and blowing stuff up...

too soon?

46. crazyazn

but on a serious note, its great to be reminded and see the journey you and the car have taken over a relatively short time.

47. crazyazn

just because we invented Firecracker, doesn't mean we always get the BOOM right

48. Matt

[youtube]Uwzg7SYZKF0[/youtube]

*done*

back to your regularly scheduled roe'd out.

49. digitizedsoul

lol!!!!!!!

and jeff, yeah, I was feeling really nostalgic about it lately after deciding i'm going to keep it and started spending money on it again (tires, brakes, etc) so I thought it was time.

I REALLY need to get some driving footage for a video I want to make. I do my own music and have some epic stuff I want to use.

50. crazyazn

the most i can be of help is a photo shoot, which actually i've been wanting to do with you and the car, but i haven't figured out how i want to do some details yet. As for video, I know Dana has a video background, I'm just not fully sure if he has time or want to get back into it just yet with work and life going on.