2013 Black STI / JPM / ETS / TSM / BallEngines

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by digitizedsoul, Jul 17, 2014.

1. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

Awesome! That would be really nice of you man.

I'm going to have the calipers all red with white brembo stickers soon, and also it's going to the body shop on the 31st to have ALL the little body things fixed so it will be brand new flawless again afterwards. I can't wait!
    Bumper will actually be trimmed properly around the FMIC and everything.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  2. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I would be down to get back into some video work. Im interested in this music that you put together...

3. digitizedsoul

Awesome man! We will definitely regroup on that.
    Especially since, tomorrow morning i'm dropping it off at the body shop on an insurance claim for when the wheel barrow fell on it, and a LONG laundry list of other things. Might even be a few surprises in there, we will see :D

4. digitizedsoul

Also in other news, as most of you read and know I got sober now almost a year ago (~8mo now) and returned to one of my original dreams, passions and lifestyles which is Bodybuilding.

I went from 185lb's to 220lbs in the last 24wks (no, I don't use drugs, sorry I know it makes the story cooler) and lost about 2" off my waist in the process.

Some of you may not even recognize me next time I make a meet, i've had to buy an entire new wardrobe haha.

5. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

...progress pics? or come out to another meet! :p

6. digitizedsoul

lol i'm weird in that I hardly ever take progress pic's, but just for you matt

[​IMG]

7. digitizedsoul

Car dropped off at Service King in duluth (Sterling auto) with very specific instructions.

I also reminded them I'm datalogging every key start and pedal press, so if they DO decide to attempt a joyride (it's in I mode so 4krpm rev limiter and 8psi of boost) it will be logged.
    I never did setup a valet map, should have though.

8. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

damnit that progress pic seriously reminds me i need to get back into a gym

9. digitizedsoul

It's seriously the highlight of my day. The gym is my battleground. The iron is my enemy. I get to murder it legally every single time.

Bar be like, i'm not going up :hsnono:
    I'm like, :coolugh: move bish!
    Old lady on treadmill be like :eek:hnoes:

No more pic's, it makes matt :pssh::keke:

10. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

:|

I really need to resume my training as well. I miss it.

I have not seen a gym in almost a year now. Not to mention that I have been paying, and still am, for the membership.

Silly me.

11. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

[youtube]C_ESeEZD_OY[/youtube]

12. digitizedsoul

lol classic!
    now someone drop the one of george pee'ing in the gym showers from seinfeld

13. digitizedsoul

So looks like late NEXT friday (11th) for getting my STI back from the body shop. Pretty much every single panel had some type of ding, scratch or damage of some kind. Pretty unbelievable really.

How do they fix a scratch on plastic anyway? You can't exactly sand it right?

I will still try to come to the meet on tuesday. Can't miss the opportunity to stuff a nerf ball in justin's exhaust.

14. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

LOL a nerf ball or your balls?

15. digitizedsoul

Actually, his fender exit exhaust is perfect height for a piss.

Talk about hydrolock...

16. digitizedsoul

So body shop is doing all the damaged panels from the wheel barrow and other incidents, but all the little rock chips on the hood and trimming the rest of my front bumper to fit the FMIC will be on me.
    Stupid allstate.

Anyway, that will be one of my next projects, bake / black out the headlights, finish trimming the front bumper and doing the brakes.
    I'm going to have to setup a time with Sparta to get all that done, he's the man when it comes to pretty much all that.

Finally got the white Brembo stickers from china lol

Should be able to tackle some of it the weekend of the 18th since I get the car back on the 14th.

17. digitizedsoul

So car is back from body shop, looks A-MAZING.
    Brotha from anotha motha Justin (Eco auto clean babyyy!) is going to detail both subies this weekend hopefully.

I'm wondering about one thing, the 3m-ish clear plastic protector things subaru puts on the rear fenders from the factory:
    They removed one since they painted there, and I told them not to replace it because it looks lame, but I thought they were removing the other one as well (maybe they forgot??) so i'm wondering if I can just peel it off myself and buff it a bit or would I regret that? I hate having one on one side but not on the other.

18. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

19. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Did you get all your brake stuff in?

20. digitizedsoul

Yep I am ready to do the brakes too!

21. digitizedsoul

Rolled back to service king and in 5 min they removed the last piece of 3m and cleaned it all up. Guys are really top notch up there customer service is like stellar.

22. digitizedsoul

My triple JCS Pod's A-pillar pod started peeling and bubbling :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Emailed Jason (owner) about it, and literally 90sec later he replied saying he would pay return shipping and fix it for me.
    Can we say customer service? :D

23. digitizedsoul

flat foot shifted hard 2nd to 3rd earlier and the clutch slipped for like 1 full second.
    Never done that before, and I have only launched on this clutch like 5 times (3 were at the 1/2 mile lol) so it can't possibly be worn already.

le sigh.

24. integroid

Which clutch do you have?

25. digitizedsoul

ACT Xtreme full face

26. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Possible you glazed it? If so it should burn off.

27. digitizedsoul

After reading up on this clutch it appears that it holds 565lb/ft at the FACE, and my car made 434wtq so it's probably not far from that at the flywheel.

Also a couple guys noted that repeated launches OR fast / flat foot shifts cause it to slip sometimes (what mine did) so i'm not that worried at this point.
    I already know as soon as it wears out i'm never getting another ACT again lol.

Probably get the comp twin disc everyone raves about that has stock pedal pressure but holds like 550lb/ft. I think Mike put one on his car (TSM Mike)

28. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Yeah, I used a ACT clutch once. It lasted all of 9 months auto-xing. Mind you I was teaching my wife to drop the clutch at launch, but not worth the cash in my book. I only had 240 Wtq.

29. integroid

I have been using ACT since they first started in the early 90's. I have tried many of other brands but always seemed to go back to ACT. I have seen people wear out stock clutches in 4-6 months.....If you dont know how to drive a manual, the clutch will never last long.

30. digitizedsoul

Haha you got that right! There is a reason I haven't taught my wife how to drive something with a clutch using this car.

I think it was a glazing honestly from all the extremely "easy" engagements I had been doing for so long daily driving it. I think it needed a good romp, it hasn't slipped again since.

31. integroid

I could see that....just like with High Performance Brakes.....you will glaze the rotors if you dont get on them from time to time.

32. digitizedsoul

I flat foot shifted 2 more times from 2nd to 3rd since the first time it happened. Both times it slipped with each time worse then the previous.

Who knows.

33. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Flat foot shifting really isn't that great for the clutch. Sounds like it's on it's way out.

34. digitizedsoul

With a turbo this big, there isn't much of a choice.
    Especially with a d-bag in a mustang GT in the other "lane" (in mexico..... at a drag strip.... in virtual reality.... not in real life.... etc)

35. digitizedsoul

So i'm taking off all of next week to burn some time off before end of the year.
    Will probably do my brakes at some point during that week since i'll have downtime.
    Front's are DONE so I need to get this done.
    Let me know if you are still down to help out Sparta!

36. Drowland87

Drowland87 Staff Member Supporting Member

Someone on the Facebook page was talking about an install day I believe for Saturday.

37. digitizedsoul

Which explains why I missed it / will miss it.
    I don't use FB.

38. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

You aren't alone.
    Call me old or whatever you want...I never have and never will participate in that shit storm of a social experiment. I'd rather do something productive.

Like try and figure out how to get some new WRXAtl swag :)

39. Drowland87

I hadn't logged into my Facebook for years. Now I use it for our group mostly.

40. Drowland87

It is Jeff Bowman this Saturday doing the install day.

41. digitizedsoul

Sweet, he's a cool one. I won't be here this saturday though :(

42. Drowland87

:( well I'm sure there are several people willing to help, myself included.

43. Western

Western Supporting Member

I'm just around the corner from you...So just give me a few days notice and I'll be glad to help!

44. digitizedsoul

Blaaaaahhh, i'm considering going back to stock to do something else...

Just a quick inventory produced this list of needed parts:

Stock TGV's
    Stock injectors
    Stock rails (still have stock fuel lines I think)
    Air pump / EGR stuff (probably still at All Pro from when I gave it to them)
    Stock exhaust manifold
    Stock up pipe
    Stock turbo
    Stock downpipe
    Stock TMIC
    Stock intake

I could leave the aeromotive 340 in there, it was pretty cheap. Nothing I can do about the built motor and GSC S2 cam's so they'd just stay too I guess. Hope the stock tune wouldn't complain about the cam's lol.

That would leave me with the following list of parts to sell:

ETS Rotated turbo kit w/6266
    ETS FMIC and piping
    Aeromotive fuel system / FPR
    Bosch 1000cc injectors
    Cobb AP V3 unmarried
    Innovate LC-1 AFR wideband gauge (no bung on stock downpipe)

This is just hypothetical, but i'm heavily considering it.
    Does anyone have any of those stock parts?
    What are some guess-work figures on what I'd be selling would be worth?
    I think my car black book's at around 30-31k since it only has 39k miles. I still haven't put the brakes on it yet.

I am also open to selling the car in the private market as-is, but that seems like an awful lot of grief. I know Robb didn't have much luck going that route with his either. Ryan had to take a huge loss doing that too.

45. Drowland87

46. Drowland87

I could be wrong but I would highly assume you would need a tune for the motor let alone the cams.

47. digitizedsoul

Nah the pistons and rod's won't matter. It has the stock flywheel and crank pulley, so no CEL's from false misfires on that stuff.
    Cam's might confuse it but meh.

48. Justin V

Justin V Member

I feel you dude. I just spent 4hrs pulling the motor from my donor car. I have valve seals and cam seals to freshen up the heads but as I look at that motor on the stand... I am so over these cars and just don't want to. Aside from some wiring and redoing the intake manifold with the 07 harness and stock tgv's my car will be 99% stock and ready to sell.

I don't know the direction you are going in, but I haven't had much luck moving parts, my turbo kit and intercooler have been listed for months. I thought my price was fair considering it has 1200 miles on it and comes with a killer b reservoir and crawford aos, but no interest.

Be prepared to take a loss. I think the motor will run fine with the cams, I'd just ask Doug or whoever tuned it if the AVCS and longer duration could ever cause the valves to overlap on the stock tune.

49. digitizedsoul

I was hoping you'd post. But not with grim news! Months? Wow, and you are much more known on nasioc then I am.
    Seems everyone is going forward facing and crap these days.

I want to get an F150 3.5 v6 twin turbo so I can haul a 4wheeler again and pull a boat again. I miss both of those things a lot. I also worry about my car every single time I drive it and i'm kind of sick of that too.

In other news (and matt can whine all he wants about posting it) I can now add a lambo AVENTADOR to my kill list :)
    Boooooooy you talk about a look of surprise when I stayed right on his fender for 4 gears.

50. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

nooooo