2013 Black STI / JPM / ETS / TSM / BallEngines

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by digitizedsoul, Jul 17, 2014.

1. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Wise decision. Do I miss my old WRX. Certainly! Would I do it again if I went back in time? Certainly but I would've stopped at the 315 hp 93 octane only. Be we all get older and we all obtain different goals in life. Do what makes you happy!

2. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

Wife and I have been talking, we even went and drove an F150 ecoboost.
    That truck is pretty freakin awesome no doubt, and the potential of that 3.5 twin turbo is absolutely there. However, i'd be trading even and keeping what I still owe on my subaru pretty much the same, plus the only ones we found at THAT price point had like 70+k miles on them.

In hindsight the reasons I would even consider getting rid of my subaru are the lack of ability to pass emissions without dropping more cash on it, the fact that she hates riding in it (lol) that i'm always wondering when or if something will break next and how much that will cost.

I started thinking about how it's probably best to wait on getting a truck until I can get what I want and not have to cut corners and get something with a ton of miles on it, so I started wondering what my options were and remembered a conversation I had with a member on here at one of the dinner meets recently (I think it was matt? (not shiring)) who got a 335i and I thought HMMMM....

I could get one with reasonable miles on it (N54) 4dr for like 10-15k and even if I put my STI back to stock and sold it at market value, i'd be able to pay off what I owe and pay for the BMW at the same time eliminating my car loan. Since that's another one of the key reasons i'm considering it, this idea is sounding more and more appealing.

Might even be able to hang onto my 6266 and use it later on :D

3. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Like we talked about when I picked up the hoist, I bought a 6 speed 335i coupe earlier this year and have nothing but good things to say about the platform. You can hit a very conservative, reliable 400 whp with intake/exhaust/tune.

4. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Keep in mind though that the BMW will cost an arm and a leg if it ever has issues....parts are not cheap and the maintenance with the cooling system is just ridiculous. So I'd be inclined to say a BMW isn't a better choice than the STi. I went from a Subaru to a BMW....and the BMW was my favorite car ever but I was always worried about what was gonna happen and how I was gonna get it fixed when it did happen.

5. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

What stuff are you worried about breaking? The aftermarket things you have done, or OEM parts?

6. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

It's a built motor....they rarely last more than 50k-60k miles.

7. digitizedsoul

Ha, I completely forgot that we had talked about that! I KNEW there was someone else who had gotten one.

I would have to stick with a sedan over a coupe since I have a kid and stuff, and finding one of those with a 6spd is pretty much impossible.

I did find an auto though for like 12k with only 80k miles on it (2008) so that would mean it has the N54 and the piezo injectors versus the bosch solenoid ones.

8. digitizedsoul

Open deck with an ovaled cylinder is also pretty expensive to fix...
    Or broken half shafts lol

9. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Very true.....luxury ride oh man do I miss that. My M3 was so dang comfty.

10. digitizedsoul

It's more that i'm pushing the EJ pretty hard with my setup. I'm at the limit of 93oct for sure with 85% IDC and certainly right smack up against the limit with cylinder pressures for the open deck without pins.

Ryan raced his buddy in a Coyote 5.0 mustang (and beat him) but it ended up being a run that went deep into 6th so he was @ WOT for quite a while and he ovaled a cylinder and lost compression.
    Hence, his complete rebuild of his 08 blue GR before he sold it.

Just makes me nervous and makes me not be able to enjoy the car.

Plus my wife hates the open dump tube which would be 500-600$ to fix, plus I need to put a cat on the car to pass emissions in gwinnett which is who knows how much more plus it would hurt performance especially if I have the dump tube recirced.

I don't know there are a lot of reasons with a primary one being that if I jump ship to a 335 for like <15k$ I can pay off what is left on my subaru and pay cash for the BMW and walk away owing nothing, and like Chris said throw an intake, exhaust and tune on it for 400-450whp. My STI only made 521whp so that isn't that far apart.
    BMW would easily make more torque to, I only got like 421tq or something.

11. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Figured that's what it was, but was just checking. :)

12. digitizedsoul

Car is sold.

R.I.P "DeathRoe"

Another chapter of life and my subaru love will start soon...
    New thread will be created then.

13. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Enter FozzyRoe?

14. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

coincidentally, someone posted it on fb this morning.

15. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

Wow. props for getting it back to stock and sold so quickly. Good luck man! looking forward to seeing what's next