2013 STI Rotated Turbo Project

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by digitizedsoul, Dec 16, 2013.

1. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

Current Parts:

Garrett 60-1 "classic" journal bearing turbo (.82 hotside)
    Ultimate Racing up-pipe wrapped / coated
    Ultimate Racing downpipe wrapped / coated
    TiAL 38mm external wastegate with dumptube
    Bosch 1000cc fuel injectors w/pigtails
    4 bolt downpipe gasket
    4 bolt T3 gasket
    Oil supply line
    Oil drain line
    Coolant supply lines
    Tigwerks Oil Drain AN converter
    Omnipower 4bar MAP sensor
    GM Fast Response IAT Sensor
    4" Inlet air filter for turbo
    Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS
    Hallman Pro RX MBC (Probably won't use)
    IAPerformance Subaru GR Stumble Fuel Kit Fix
    TiAL Q BOV w/11psi spring
    TSM / Aeromotive 340lph fuel pump
    ETS FMIC & boost tube's w/AIT bung & TiAL BOV flange

Parts I Need:

AFR bung drilled & welded in DP for LC-2 wideband gauge.

Pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  2. digitizedsoul

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  3. digitizedsoul

If anyone could chime in regarding the oil lines that would be great.
    Currently I am confused as to the oiling requirements for this turbo.
    Forced Performance sells primarily journal bearing turbo's, and they explicitly state that using the stock oil supply line will starve THEIR turbo's of oil. Now that may not be true for all journal bearing turbo's, but i'm inclined to think that I fall into that category with this project.

They sell this:
    http://store.forcedperformance.net/...e=FPMLSSSubaruAVCS&Category_Code=Acc-OilLines

Very expensive for what it is, and all it looks to be doing is simply capping off the flared end, and removing the filter.

I need to figure out if I really need their custom solution, or if I can just replace my AVCS hard lines with a braided solution and T into the turbo that way. I am having trouble finding any aftermarket AVCS oil line solution so i'm guessing most people make their own using fittings and such, so any help in this department would be great.

Also the coolant lines and what size nipple is needed, thread pitch, all that sort of information would be helpful.

4. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

5. digitizedsoul

Yeah I saw that one, I basically wanted someone to "bless" it before I purchased.

so that will take care of oil supply, oil drain (on stock setup) is just a rubber line off the bottom of the stock center housing like 3" long going right into the head.

Does anyone make a kit for that or should I just find the right thread pitch nipple for the new turbo CHRA and improvise a length of hose based on where the new turbo will sit?
    Last thing I want is leaks there.

6. digitizedsoul

7. integroid

Yeah, the P&L kit is the exact one I had on my car. I think ball was making them for a little bit but dont think he has them anymore.

8. b reel

b reel Active Member

British Standard Pipe Thread is used on Garrett CHRA's and can be had from Summit, Barnett or the webz

oil return is AN-10 with a new gasket
    TigWerks makes the adapter for this and can be had from Import Image
    oil feed needs to be AN-4 with no restriction but will need a filter for safety... I'll know for sure by end of day

9. digitizedsoul

Ha! I knew he made one, perfect. That will solve that problem beautifully.

10. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Make sure you don't go too big on the oil line as you can also push too much oil and make the turbo bleed oil.

11. liltoua

liltoua Member

Now that's a proper turbo ;). This looks like fun!

12. digitizedsoul

Yeah, i'm pretty excited.
    OP updated with new parts list. I just placed an ebay and import image order for the majority of what I need.
    Also picked up an Omnipower 4bar MAP sensor since I plan on running high boost on my S# SI drive setting and want enough headroom.
    Also stock one has like half the resolution.

Just need to decide on a FMIC now... get it in house, get an IAT sensor put into the boost tube and also get a bung put in the downpipe for my LC-2.

13. integroid

Dammit...I have a brand new AEM 4 bar map sensor

14. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Can you take another pic of the turbos, same as the last one, but from the other side?

15. digitizedsoul

ha integroid, you should have told me man! facepalm for you me thinks, I would have bought it.

Chris:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Awesome, thanks

17. b reel

b reel Active Member

Chris you've seen this turbo in person

18. integroid

Have I seen this in person?

19. digitizedsoul

Ha, you guys got jokes.

Where can I find a simple and short length 10an oil drain line with the fittings already on it? I've never put an AN fitting on before, not like I can't learn but would be nice to get one already pressure tested.
    Even on Ebay they are all just hose and fittings that you put on yourself, there is one prefab but it's in china shipping takes 4wks, no thanks on that.

Also what is a good IAT? Haven't been able to find one yet except for a proprietary one for the AEM EMS.

Also you guys need to help me pick a FMIC lol. ETS is my favorite so far because of the core size (and I plan on running a Varis bumper eventually to expose the entire core) but i'm not set on them by any means. Theirs is also at the top of the price range (since i'm excluding cosworth).

20. jchon3

jchon3 Supporting Member

One snail to rule them all....
    that thing is massive lol :clap:

21. b reel

b reel Active Member

AN fittings aren't that hard to make, all you need is a vice, roll of tape and some hose cutters

no Eddie you've not seen this turbo, it was Tal's old setup

22. integroid

That beautiful wrap job looks familiar though:)

23. b reel

b reel Active Member

can't wait for him to put some heat in it, shit is going to stink to high heaven for a few days :rofl:

24. digitizedsoul

has it never been ran since it was wrapped? lol yeah that will smoke / stink.
    probably when steve and I are trying to tune it.

25. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Video it! Should've seen my car on the break-in.....smoke was coming out making me nervous as heck as I was doing my breakin procedures.

26. digitizedsoul

is 10" long enough for the turbo drain?
    I would think so but just getting opinions. I obviously don't want a bunch of excess forming a big loop for the oil to pool in.

27. digitizedsoul

28. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

The drain needs to have no loops and no kinks. It's not pressure fed (pressure is very little here). It's primarily gravity fed after the center cartridge.

29. digitizedsoul

Got a 10" with two 45" fittings so that I can line it right up with the tigwerks adapter. Should work good I hope.
    Updated OP, one more thing off the list.
    Basically just need a FMIC, hard pipes and an IAT put into one of the hard pipes.
    Also need the inlet / air filter tube. Waiting for ultimate racing to email me back.

30. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Can you not get the IAT reading from the stock MAF itself?

31. b reel

b reel Active Member

too long and you'll also need to insulate it as it runs pretty damn close to the up pipe. I bought some fire sleeve off ebay that was from AJ Foyt's Indy car team. :naughty:

32. integroid

Yeah I think I just used a gas line hose with a sleeve over it for the drain.

33. ballistic

ballistic Member

Nice! Didn't realize you were going rotated so soon.

34. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I don't think he did either.......kinda fell into his lap for a great price.

35. techlord

techlord Active Member

thought I recognized that turbo.

36. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

That turbo was on my car for a while.

37. digitizedsoul

and how did it work out for you?

38. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Very well but iirc he also had some excellent head work on his engine which made all the difference.

39. b reel

b reel Active Member

and those heads are in Miguel's bugeye, Ferrea valves, Ver 6 cams and port work if memory serves me right.

40. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

The heads and block are in Miguel's bugeye.

The turbo worked great for me. Never had it on the dyno but it pulled harder than the turbo I had before which I hit 527 on race gas with. The prior turbo was pretty much the same thing with a .63 exhaust housing.

41. digitizedsoul

awesome! exactly what I wanted to hear :D

42. digitizedsoul

Do either of you guys have a link to the specs on this turbo like flow rate and such?

43. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

All you need to know is:
    1) it a good sized turbo
    2) it pushes a lot of air

44. b reel

b reel Active Member

Let Me Google That For You

[​IMG]

45. digitizedsoul

Got some new goodies:
    Oil relocation kit for AVCS / oil supply, new exhaust gasket for downpipe, Tigwerks Fab AN convert for turbo oil drain.
    [​IMG]

46. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

So I see that you going to pullz on tuning for your tune. Why not let Doug do it esp since you have an AP already?

47. digitizedsoul

Just looking for a different kind of experience.
    I want to be heavily involved in the configuring of my ECU, drive around while tuning with Steve and solicit feedback, be engaged, and the most important part "learn".
    This is opposed to sitting in a yellow box in front of a dyno output screen waiting for the thumbs up that sais "i'm done".

Not trashing anyone, both methods target a type of customer, i'm just more the hands on - involved type of customer. There was a time I was the "show up and fix it for me" type of customer, but not anymore.

Also being locked out of my own car's ECU is completely, absolutely and with no debate out of the question entirely, so the AP would be out no matter what direction I went.

48. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Nothing wrong with that.

49. Justin V

Justin V Member

IAG has a used Crawford FMIC setup for a grand for your car... if you want a good one. You might need to mod the pipes for rotated fitment and get that bung welded.

Man you jumped on this. I have the P&L line for sale and am sourcing my Oil feed and drain fittings. Is it not worth it for you to hit up the summit store? Autozone has the GM/ AEM IAT sensor and pigtail. I have the part numbers on my other computer I can get for you.

50. digitizedsoul

don't know where the summit store is, i could use the part number sure.
    wish i would have known about the p&l line I just got one.