2013 STI Rotated Turbo Project

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by digitizedsoul, Dec 16, 2013.

1. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

links?

2. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

I'll have to find them. They are obviously shot in Mexico as he is burying the speedometer.

3. digitizedsoul

just pm me them

4. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I would strongly encourage you to think twice about hard wiring your pump. You need the stock FPC in place to send a PWM signal to the pump to regulate how much fuel it flows. Not doing so will mean your pump will not prime before startup and will be running 100% duty cycle all the time not to mention if you are ever in an accident your pump will still be pumping fuel through possible broken lines.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  5. digitizedsoul

I will not be wiring it that way.
    I'll hook the battery supply to a relay fired by the PWM-based controller.
    Basically the FPC will use pulse width like it does now, only what it controls with that pulse width will change. Instead of it directly controlling the ~13.5v / XAmps normally going straight to the pump off the wiring harness, it will control my relay with my battery supply.

Retain stock FPC PWM control, but bypassing stock small gauge wiring, OR I might wire them in parallel since it's DC, I haven't decided I have to break out a flow path from the subaru manual of that part of the harness first.

it will be similar to this:
    http://aeromotiveinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/16301.pdf

Being an electrical engineer this part comes naturally.

6. integroid

Still not following you. The only thing the pwm signal will do is open or close the relay. You are still not getting a pwm signal to the pump.

7. digitizedsoul

8. digitizedsoul

wrong page of that thread but you get the idea

9. integroid

So you are just rewiring the FPCM and sending it cleaner power with new wire. I thought you meant you were bypassing the FPCM entirely and pretty much just running a straight wire from your battery to a relay and the PWM signal was going to trip the relay to close and send power to the fuel pump.

10. digitizedsoul

11. digitizedsoul

Interesting setup this guy went with, he got the full aeromotive kit but retained stock 4231 series config for plumbing.
    Pro's / Con's of series VS parallel?

[​IMG]

12. digitizedsoul

13. integroid

Nice.....which FPR are you using?

Also, I would run the lines in parallel but just make sure the lines are equal length coming from the distribution block.

14. digitizedsoul

using the aeromotive one there in the top right of the pic, i'm going to go through their instructions and see what they have to say.

15. Justin V

Justin V Member

parallel has some thing about vapor lock, but I don't think it matters are you are not maxing it creating large pockets for vapor to form.

I like series but that's because it seems to suit the firing order or some logic of that nature made me opt to keep it.

16. integroid

Pictures were so big that I didnt see it:)

17. digitizedsoul

I post pictures like texan's make steaks. BIGGER = BETTER!

I'll probably do it like they have in the instructions, king said that's how he does them and I think that's series i'm going to check it out now been busy with work today.

18. integroid

Yeah, this is one of those topics that it seems no one is really right or wrong. I would just say do what makes you feel comfortable and go with it. I cant remember the exact reasoning I went parallel but also cant remember why I didnt stay series either.

19. digitizedsoul

I am going to do it like this guy did.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aeromotive instructions have it flowing the same way, he just made it nice and neat.

[​IMG]

20. Justin V

Justin V Member

Not quite equal length, but I guess I don't get it.

21. integroid

It is ran in series so no need to run equal length.

22. Justin V

Justin V Member

Second pic is parallel, line in between the rails T's to supply both rails, then both rails merge at the regulator and return to the tank

23. integroid

wouldnt that be considered series? I mean from an electrical flow. that is how series would look like.

This is how I have always seen parallel and the way I ran it on my Subaru
    [​IMG]

24. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

No that's series. Parallel has the distribution in the middle and each line feeding and returning from the rail are equal length which is important. In series everything is flowing the same direction so it doesn't matter if the lines are equal or not.

25. Justin V

Justin V Member

Maybe you dudes are a little rusty seeing that you don't own subaru's any more. But this is series
    [​IMG]

And this is parallel

[​IMG]

There is a big difference, the first pic the fuel flows one way, just like a series circuit. break the line and the fuel never makes it past the break.

The bottom pic is what he said he is going to do. Fuel enters the T "SPLITS" like a junction on a parallel circuit fuel flows separately to each rail so that if a line broke one branch would still get fuel. Then the fuel exits at the top of the rails to meet the regulator where it builds pressure.

26. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I stand corrected. The location of the distr box threw me off. I still think it needs to be equal length in parallel but does it really matter?

27. integroid

I'm with dummy^^^

28. digitizedsoul

The 2nd image comes from aeromotive's install instructions. This is how TSM installs them as well as everyone else i've asked.

29. digitizedsoul

Also i've only seen agency power and other fuel rail kits installed with equal length lines in parallel. I have yet to see an aeromotive install done that way leading me to believe that it isn't required.

Aeromotive steps down the line size from 8AN to 6AN after each rail too which creates a venturi effect of positive pressure in the rails. This might be why it doesn't matter, but I am not "fully qualified" in the field of fluid dynamics, only self taught.

30. digitizedsoul

Some teaser shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

31. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Pretty sweet dude

32. jdiwatts

jdiwatts Member

DS,

It's been a while since I've seen you. Looks like you've been busy with the car since last I saw you. Glad you got a taste of uber-fastedness, if only for a short while. Keep the positive attitude and get that thing back together. I definitely want a ride in that thing (without the 5.0 involved like the TT 370Z after the dinner at Perimeter).

My Scooby is my Daily, so I tried to restrain myself in doing anything crazy to it. That's what my 93 5.0 LX is for. Even it will be tame compared to yours, and most scooby builds that surpass 400whp (I'm only shooting for 400-450whp with my 5.0L using a pair of slightly oversized jounal bearing T25s).

I wasted a couple of hours yesterday skimming through this thread... so keep it interesting ;).

Was the head just getting a valve/seat job? or are you getting it ported?

Congrats on the wife's bubble belly and hope you get the car done before that little distraction shows up. ;)
    My boy showed up almost 8 yrs ago on July 4th. He's been a rollercoaster, but it's been fun (mostly)

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  33. digitizedsoul

thanks a lot man, posts like this from people like you are what maintain my motivation to give back.

Hopefully some more updates soon.

34. Justin V

Justin V Member

You don't know it but I'm racing you. Started putting mine back together. Still got a long way to go, but we're going to see who finishes first.

Also what head studs you running? I'm thinking about swapping to some h11's or CA625+
    Wasn't sure if you were getting the block pinned this go round in preparation for some high boost.

35. digitizedsoul

ARP head studs, no pinning of the block I would have had to re-machine everything. In my case all it needed was to be re-honed, rings were fine and pistons were fine. Didn't want to remachine the entire block just to put pins in when I most likely will not need them for pump gas on this turbo.

Also, EPIC RACE BRAH! I raced Al Friedman (dynoflash) last time, and he gave up halfway through and decided to go stock location and change his plans, so this will be even more fun.

36. digitizedsoul

37. integroid

I guess this means you will be busy this weekend!?!?!

38. digitizedsoul

Very :evil::drool:

39. Al.SpecB

Al.SpecB Member

There goes some of my leave time. :) but you know I'm always willing to stop by, help out, lend some knowledge, drink your beer and assure that little details wont blow your motor. LMAO!

40. digitizedsoul

bwahaha LOPEZ with the wit

i need two AVCS exhaust cam gears can someone txt brandon I don't have his number maybe he has a pair. If anyone else has a pair let me know.
    Otherwise everything is on hold. Mine have to be rebuilt and cleaned, the spring in them complicates that.

41. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I have 3 pairs.

42. digitizedsoul

too bad you aren't local,
    and selling them.
    i could get them from flatirons in CO tuesday at the soonest.

43. digitizedsoul

I doubt troncalli would have them in stock, but they did have the oil cooler today which was kinda cool. i'll call them in the morning for the helluvit

44. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Don't take that long to deliver. And everything is for sale. $800 and I will be in Atlanta at 2:00 Pm. Not being an ass being serious.

45. digitizedsoul

well they are 156$ each from flatirons and something like that from subaru, problem is I have a date with doug on wednesday and I hate to stand a nice guy like that up on such short notice.

46. digitizedsoul

matt ball perhaps he has a ton of stuff

47. digitizedsoul

nah matt doesn't have any :(
    Waiting for troncalli to call me back.
    Delette what if I met you at the SC state line or something, just exploring my options. 300$ from subaru, 320$ from flatirons in CO but both would be next week i'd have to reschedule tuning which sucks.

800$ kinda ridiculous, but conway is practically myrtle beach. That's like a 5hr drive lol I don't blame you.

48. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

It's entirely too late in the day now man. We are fixing to go out. Sorry.

49. Justin V

Justin V Member

find ihadmail on nasioc, he was in Aiken SC and parting a sti engine recently.

50. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I know James. I will text him now.