2013 STI Rotated Turbo Project

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by digitizedsoul, Dec 16, 2013.

1. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

James (ihadmail) says he may but he has no way of getting in the shop until Monday.

2. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

6 1/2 hrs. My truck drinks gas. Thought it was a very fair price delivered last minute. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

3. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

I found one but can't find the other so i'll just have to reschedule tuning and delay it a few days. no big deal.

4. digitizedsoul

5. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Are you running a stock header?

6. digitizedsoul

Unfortunately.
    I want the ETS one or kelly's (tigwerks) one but budget sais no.
    It's the last piece of the puzzle.

7. digitizedsoul

Mike likes the invidia one, still too pricey new though.

8. rsutton1223

That would make a huge difference on your build. I really like the Invidia unit as well. There have been a ton of proven builds on that piece.

9. rsutton1223

I would actually be tempted to figure out when you can get one and wait on tuning for that personally. Since you have a DD now...that final piece is a big enough deal at your power levels that it would be worth waiting on and would save you tuning money in the long run.

10. digitizedsoul

Talking to kelly now :D

11. Justin V

Justin V Member

I like the invidia one

1/2 as much as them otha's

Are you getting a break in tune or going to drive it some to let the rings reseat and what not?

12. digitizedsoul

yeah i'm going to put a few hundred or a thousand miles on it and let it have a few dozen thermal cycles before tuning.

kelly has a deal going on right now with his I think i'm going to grab.

13. digitizedsoul

looks like this will be part of the project soon.

[​IMG]

14. digitizedsoul

It's a good 321 design so twin scroll-like up to the 2 bolt collector / uppipe.
    can't believe I don't have an AOS lol. will probably need one now.

15. rsutton1223

An AOS is a must have as well. Kelly is a good guy. He has a CTS-V wagon.

[​IMG]

16. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

hrm, so i understand mostly what a AOS does, but what exactly is the point that one should get one for their motor?
    From my point of view I see it on these built motors and not too often on stage 2 cars, so just wondering what mod is making it a part for consideration.

17. digitizedsoul

well it keeps a nice suction on the crankcase to help ring seal (no matter what the mod level) and keeps you from burning oil from the crankcase vents going back into the inlet tube.

in my case with my ETS inlet tube, there are no nipples for these returns, so without an AOS I would at the very minimum need breather caps on mine since they currently just vent to atmosphere.

18. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

AOS also keep the intake and your intercooler nice and clean if it's a good and properly routed system. Crawford is one of the best kits for the Subaru. Ixiz is an example of a worthless pos kit.

19. digitizedsoul

Debating on cerami-coating that header before putting it on.
    That might create a scheduling issue so I might skip it and/or do it later. Not exactly a difficult piece to remove once it's in the car.

def no wrap this time, my experience with it is pretty poor.

20. rsutton1223

You need to wrap or coat it in something. Even if you use the Defi wrap as a temporary measure. The way our exhaust manifolds sit directly under the block is really bad for heat soak. Especially if you are getting it dyno tuned...you will run into major problems with rapidly climbing IAT's as you get deeper into the tuning. I would not just leave it bare if you want good results.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  21. digitizedsoul

22. digitizedsoul

i'll get it coated, this is just to get it broke in and check for leaks. it's easy to remove from in the car, one of the few pieces that are lol.

23. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Way to go, think you'll get it started before Monday?

24. digitizedsoul

That's the plan!

25. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Nice....He sure does know how to weld:)

26. digitizedsoul

Yep he sure does!

I think I did one of the two:

put my coils in reversed on one or both sides

flipped the injector plugs wrong on one or both sides.

primed it just fine for oil and got pressure and good flow, put my fuel pump fuse back in and it made good pressure no leaks in the new system, but wouldn't fire.

flipped one sides coil plugs and it tried to crank so maybe that's it i'll fool with it more tomorrow.

heard of crank position sensors doing this but none of my teeth were missing to my memory and the CPS is in there and plugged in, also no DTC's

yawn this is more of a journal for me to remember tomorrow then anything

27. liltoua

liltoua Member

Looking good James!

28. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Make sure you have the fuel lines in the right place. Easy to get the switched.

29. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Not getting some Forged style determination with that hammer right there are you?

30. digitizedsoul

haha, FORGED STYLE FTW!!!!!
    beat it into submission.

actually the ETS up pipe support bracket that connects to the two tranny bolts wasn't the right shape / size after switching to the tigwerks header. His header is about 0.5-1" to the left of the stock one so the bracket just misses the bolt holes, even after some "forged style motivating" lol

31. digitizedsoul

32. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Why the sad face? What's going on?

33. digitizedsoul

Car is at TSM now. It will get broken in on the dyno and setup with a break in map.
    I thought I had either the coils reversed or the injector plugs backwards but neither seems to be the case. Either way it won't start but cranks and builds oil pressure fine.

I will let king figure it out I don't want to risk messing up my investment at this point.

34. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Cool deal.....wouldn't be surprised if the fuel feeds are backwards....I done that once.

35. digitizedsoul

It builds 50psi while priming and cranking so I don't think it could be that.

36. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Mine did to. Puzzled me for a bit.

37. digitizedsoul

how is that even possible? with the design of the FPR isn't it a check valve of sorts you can't have pressurized fuel coming in via the return can you?

38. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Not really sure about all that but I remember I did that and I was getting pressure and everything. Called WJM and he immediately told me to check the feeds and swap them....voila it cranked on demand. It may be a matter of where I was checking the pressure at vs where yours register. Dunno it's been many years now.

39. digitizedsoul

Here is what it is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

40. digitizedsoul

i did top (black) feed, bottom (gray) return

41. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

King will be able to fix it right up. I bet he'll swap that stuff over and it'll crank. Don't get discouraged!

42. digitizedsoul

I want to get him a huge burger king guy outfit.

THE KING

43. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I want to say he had one at one point or another...

44. digitizedsoul

yeah its very hard for me to imagine that hasn't been done already, he just fits the personality of the king without even wearing the costume lol

45. Justin V

Justin V Member

could be the coil packs not on the spark plugs. They can easily go in crooked and miss the plug completely.

If thats the case drain the oil, you don't want to break in on thinned out oil from all the fuel wash out.

46. digitizedsoul

lol that would be hillarious.

I just looked up a ton of pictures of the firewall connections for the fuel lines, mine are definitely right so i dunno

47. digitizedsoul

Justin I know you had (or thought you had) an issue at one point with one of the cam sprockets not being on the dowell properly.

With my new GSC cams, when I went to put the belt on and load up the drivers side intake cam to set it, I noticed that the amount of turn I did under cam lobe contact was a lot less then with the stock ones.

In other words with the stock ones you started feeling resistance a lot earlier in the "rotation", with the GSC's it was a much shorter time under load before the marks lined up.
    Made me wonder if the difference in the cams accounted for this, or if the sprocket was on with the dowell in the wrong hole.
    I checked and it seemed to be right, but I can't really tell without comparing to the stock cam.

48. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I'm confused....so your fuels line are on right or you haven't heard yet? Your pics are too effing big to be useful....lol.

49. digitizedsoul

to me, they are on right, according to my pictures I took of my car, and pictures i've seen of everyone elses GR's.

50. digitizedsoul

also get a real monitor lol