2013 STI Rotated Turbo Project

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by digitizedsoul, Dec 16, 2013.

1. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Double 24" monitors here dude. Just a fugly engine bay to look through like all Subaru bays are. :rofl:

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I have to admit it is hard to figure out what we are looking at since the pics are so big. Yes, I have triple 27" IPS monitors at work so it isnt the monitors. Might just be the way the pics were taken and too much of a close up shot.

I hope king figures it out....I am sure it is something simple that was overlooked.

3. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

It was mainly just to show the firewall connections, i threw the other pics in for grins.

nmind..

4. Justin V

Justin V Member

That was speculation as to why my cam gear wouldn't come off my cam. It was just vacuum seal from the pressure and clogging of the holes.

the tightness is probably because the cams have a greater duration, therefore a wider lobe that starts ramping up earlier. I could see a big difference between s1's and s2's, so s2's to stock is even more drastic.

5. digitizedsoul

yeah but mine were the oppisite, the stocks started ramping up much earlier, the S2's were much less ramp and just sudden resistence near the marks.

6. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

what you are describing sounds like less duration more lift.

7. digitizedsoul

i'm sure it's fine, just something I was considering as a possibility for it to not start, but yet still show being in time right.

the other is that the coils aren't on the plugs right as mentioned earlier. I am tempted to roll up to TSM and check that myself, I need to drop off some coolant and other things I had for the car anyway in case it's needed.

8. stirhino

stirhino Member

Nice build, Sorry you lost the other motor. Glad you like my video of the 04 vs. that dodge when I hit the wipers by accident. I'm back in the game with a built '11 with a 6266

9. digitizedsoul

haha!!!! dude, wipers AND hit the horn. easily the most enjoyable STI video on youtube.

i'm guessing you were 140+ in that one pull based on the gear selection and RPM haha.

Do tell, whats up with your new build? GR like mine? 6266? Where is the pictures? build thread? I'm waiting on mine @ TSM right now but it might be a minute :(

10. stirhino

stirhino Member

Not to take away from you thread but a little info on my new car can be found here.
    http://wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35555

I would say I was over 140 for sure. It took him over 20 seconds to catch me to do his fly by after I let out of it. LOL

Hope to see you around soon.
    Ryan

11. digitizedsoul

confirmed, intake drivers side cam gear installed with dowell in wrong hole.
    i called it.

either me or my buddy did it, either way, and i ain't saying which, it was our fault.

live, pay, and learn.

[​IMG]

12. stirhino

stirhino Member

What issue did this cause?

13. digitizedsoul

it wouldn't start after putting it all back together on a fresh build.

14. digitizedsoul

haha you can even see my pitiful attempt at a mark with a sharpie on where the correct area of the sprocket is

15. stirhino

stirhino Member

That sucks but your probably relieved to have found the issue.

16. digitizedsoul

yeah i had a suspicion ever since putting on the timing belt, that the intake cam on that side didn't really feel like it was "under tension" long enough when I was turning it to line up the marks.
    I mentioned this earlier in my thread to Justin, aaaaaaaaaand I was right.

ALWAYS TRUST YOUR GUT INSTINCTS!

17. jdiwatts

jdiwatts Member

Sooo... when is the new ETA for it to fire up? :)

18. digitizedsoul

cam gear comes in friday, not sure but hopefully friday or saturday.

19. integroid

Glad it got figured out!

20. Justin V

Justin V Member

Its been 2 Friday's and Saturday's did you go so fast you're stuck in China?

Also a 2 legit question.

Put my cams in today... did you have to shave the heads at all to clear the s2's lobes?

This is kinda what I'm seeing
    [​IMG]

21. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Yes in some cases you have to make clearance for cams.

22. Justin V

Justin V Member

Thats about as clear as mud. Is this one of those cases? GSC says S1's and S2's do not require clearancing, only the S3's do.

I've had to shave a bit for some kelfords but that was actually off the top cam block/ girdle and only because they were actually touching.

23. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

It's as clear as it can be dude. I've seen Kelfords fit yet on other heads they don't. It's a case by case basis. Subarus castings are in no way consistent.

24. digitizedsoul

No, just lost motivation to visit this site and update this thread. Unless you are a noob trying to sell something early or a scammer, moderation is absent here.

PM me or hit me up on facebook.

Regarding the heads, yours are about as close as mine were, which is pretty close. However I think yours are even tighter then mine were which would have resulted from the milling of that little relief at the factory.

Andrew said in his experience with S2's from GSC they are always right on the edge like that.

25. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

A little birdie told me yours was running and awaiting a tune. Congrats!

26. digitizedsoul

Yep other then some minor fuel leaks on some of the AN fittings I forgot to tighten when I was mocking it all up and the drivers side intake cam gear going on wrong (wasn't me) it runs fine.

should be broken in and base mapped tomorrow.

27. digitizedsoul

Car made 414whp on 93oct @ 14.7psi (spring pressure) while breaking in. This means that at 22-23psi it will be pretty impressive.

28. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Congrats man, any final pics?

29. liltoua

liltoua Member

Nice!!! See things are looking up :)

30. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

That's awesome man. Congrats

31. digitizedsoul

Mike owes me the dyno sheet (not that it matters, it's not the final one hehe) and I'll take some pics when I get the car cleaned up. It's a MESS from sitting out in the driveway on ramps for 6 months.

32. digitizedsoul

I even found a dead dragon fly in the defrost vent lol

33. digitizedsoul

homelink mirror literally fell off when I hit it on the way home in 2nd, screws had 0 loctite on them from the factory.

factory facepalm.

at least it's just screw it back in easy

34. Mike@TSM

Mike@TSM Member

Ask and you shall receive ;)

[​IMG]

35. digitizedsoul

dat spool :bowdown:

36. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I've got a hook up on some great detailing product/ detailers if interested

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  37. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

It's a good thing we have a paying vendor for that. :p

38. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Speaking of which where is his vendor page at?

39. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

40. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I need to get my contact prescription check...I swear I didn't see it a minute ago.

Anywho this is good stuff.....makes the Nissan, Merc, and Harleys shine!

41. digitizedsoul

yeah I love justins stuff, and I still have some I might use.
    Car is filthy though I think it's beyond waterless lol, at least by my own hand.

Has an exhaust leak at the usual spot (downpipe > catback) because I don't have the grimmspeed adapter. Looks like i'll have to get that because it's annoying the crap out of me lol. I love the smell of exhaust, she doesn't.
    Also it sounds like poo idling with that sputter from underneath.

42. integroid

Put some jbweld on it:)

43. digitizedsoul

Lol maybe! I keep none in stock at the house to avoid being tempted to use it.

Had some leftover meguiers (spell?) So I detailed it this afternoon right before the rain hit.

44. digitizedsoul

45. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Glad to see you decided to let Doug tune it. What prompted that decision?

46. digitizedsoul

Just the way the cards fell.

I do need to put about 4-6" of fuel line on the supply from the firewall to the aeromotive supply T.
    It's got the hammer effect pretty bad (GR fuel stumble) when you are applying like 20% throttle, and back off to like 5% throttle (something you do CONSTANTLY when on the highway easing around cars).
    It leans out on the AFR gauge as well which tells me that's exactly whats happening.

Most folks just add the extra line to eliminate the harmonic resonance or hammer effect and it works beautifully. I might explore that before doing the final tune after I finish breaking it in.

All I can say, is if this is how 414whp feels, 500+ is going to melt my face off.

47. digitizedsoul

wifes response to her first ride in the car and a quick 2nd gear hit with the wastegate open:

wooooooooow that was JUST like a rollercoaster LOL!!! (baby kicked her right in the ribs heh)

he gonna love it

48. digitizedsoul

funnily enough she didn't even notice the sound

49. stirhino

stirhino Member

Glad to hear it's running now we need videos!

50. digitizedsoul

I don't think I could hold a candle to an epic highway kill video like yours serenaded to the wonderful ballad of "Take me home tonight" complete with accidental windshield wiper activation and horn activation.

I mean, with the bar set that high..... LOL

I need to get some yes, I might wait for the final tune but if I can get someone to ride along and shoot I'll do one now.

I do have one regret of the dump tube off the TiAL, when it's open I can't hardly hear the turbo :(
    #bigturboproblems