2014 auto cross inquiry

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by kohlby777, Jan 13, 2014.

1. 06Scoobaru

06Scoobaru New Member

54.361 for me. I had a lot of fun. I Also got sunburned.

2. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

So... tell me about this match tour thing that coming to town?

3. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

4. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

Points 4:

Just a quick thanks to ApexShift for the ride-along advice and discussion and thanks to Superdue for the general advice after the event.

Now, to make sure I get the next one an hour earlier.

5. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

So... match tour... Is there a schedule posted somewhere that I am not finding?

Mainly what time tech and registration opens.

I assume its about the same schedule as normal events.

It sure going to be fun getting my ass handed to me at this event. lol

6. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

I took me some time to find it too:
    http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/2014 Atlanta Match Tour Event Information1.pdf

Edit: anyone know how the evo school/TNT works on friday?

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  7. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Thanks for the schedule post.

So if I am reading this correctly there is a test and tune AND the EVO driving school planned for friday?

EDIT: I was about to ask the same thing.

I really want to get out there and play with tire pressures. Jay and James were saying I should be running 40+ psi and I was only running 32ish.

8. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Pressures all depend on your tire and driving style. So first question is what tire do you have?

9. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I am running NT05s and with 32psi in the front the sidewall is barely rolling over.

Normally I gauge my tire pressures by the roll over amount. To much roll add air, not enough roll take out out.

Once I get that squared away, I tweak it to how the car is rotating\pushing etc.

10. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

I am not familiar with the NT05s tire and what there pressures require or what others are running.

I guess this also proves there are many methods to setting tire pressure. As I always use the tire temps (inside, middle and outside) on all four tires, and adjust till they are balanced as much as possible. Camber/caster can play a big 'roll' to in tire temps.

To me when the temps are balanced the tire's grip is achieving as much grip as possible. I really don't pay attention to how the car feels, as I know I am getting the most grip I can.

11. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Do you use a laser to take the temps?

12. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

I do and that is a really BIG topic for debate. As the laser only measure surface temp, while a probe measure the internal temp.

I personally think that surface temp is a better gauge for autocross and internal temp is better for endurance racing; IE anything longer that 60-120 secs at at time.

13. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

So with your method of gauging tire pressure, what pressures are you running?

And are you still on those stock dunlops?

I think I agree with you temp thing, the surface is going to be better telling for autox. You can also feel how hot the internal is getting by how warm\cold the air you let of of your tires is.

14. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

at turner I start at 37 front and 42 rear.

I am still on the factory tires, but I did noticed Saturday that I will need to be getting some new ones soon!:eek3:

I am bleeding some air out due to temps increase air pressure, but sometime I don't because it is cold enough out that the first run did not increase the tire temps enough.

15. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I just put on some Z2's. We'll see how they do next weekend. They initially feel softer. I say this because turning them at slow speeds in a parking lot or something, it's harder to turn the wheel. Looking forward to seeing how that translates to the track.

16. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Could this just be because of new rubber vs old heat cycled rubber? What did you have before?

17. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

So have we found anything out about that TNT on the friday before the match tour?

18. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Duke - It's a lazy day for the most part. I believe you get 5 or so run tickets, you hand these off to the start guy before each run. Then you buy runs. Not sure about the cost.

Millhouse - Usually going from old, almost slick tires, to new tires, the new ones turn easier because of less rubber concat and more flex in the tread pattern. These are harder to the feel in wheel input, so I'm hoping they're that much more sticky with heat in them.

19. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Interesting, do you have a contact person that I can send an email to asking questions?

EDIT: Does access to the TNT come with the match tour $95?

I know the Nittos that I put on were slippery as all hell till after I put 2 or 3 runs on them. I launched the car off the line spun all 4, then again when I gave it throttle coming out of corners the first run. It was an interesting ride... lol

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  20. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

The driving school, TNT, and match tour are all 'seperate' events; though at the same location.

The driving school is thru Evo driving school. Not sure of the contact info, but u do know you have to sign up on there site.

21. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

So for those who dont check the soloatlanta forum.

The TNT tickets are going to be sold that day, and they think its going to be $20 for 4 runs.

22. 06Scoobaru

06Scoobaru New Member

Anybody on here have any luck at the match tour event?

23. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I trophied on Saturday in the class competition, but was out skilled on sunday during the VERY wet autox day.

A couple subaru guys from out of town made it into a the shootouts, but no one local.

24. 06Scoobaru

06Scoobaru New Member

25. kohlby777

kohlby777 Member

When is the next autocross event? I've seen two different schedules for this year/talk of site conflicts

26. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

There was talk of one on June 1st, but u don't think that is official. We did loss one of our site earlier this year, and the guys are still scrambling with our current sites to mend the schedual.

27. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

not here; I now know I need some fresher rubber

28. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

I stopped by to take a break from working on a editing project and had to get some photo's for my brother in-laws sponsor (he runs a white e30 in SM).

It was neat to see the out of town cars show up, some serious money at play on some of them.

Link to full: GALLERY
    Anyways here are some pics..

[​IMG]_DSC0014 by thelucid1, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC0012 by thelucid1, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC9976 by thelucid1, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC0163 by thelucid1, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC0160 by thelucid1, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC0089 by thelucid1, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC0080 by thelucid1, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC0095 by thelucid1, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC0268 by thelucid1, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC0151 by thelucid1, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC0483 by thelucid1, on Flickr

[​IMG]_DSC0516 by thelucid1, on Flickr

29. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Awesome pictures!

There was someone else out there with a camera on saturday, but I havent seemed to find any pictures yet.

I worked a corner with your brother in law, nice guy.

30. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Are you going to be able to convience the wife that you need some more rubber by the next event?

31. crazyazn

Thanks! I wasn't intending on even going until my bro in law needed pics, but I'm glad I stopped by. It makes me itch to get things sorted out on my car, but it looks like I'm holding off until next year, give the paint some time to settle, and I have to rework some suspension to stabilize the car a bit better with my new tire setup

32. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Was your's that very nice looking hawk eye that I saw roll by with the fender flares at some point?

33. crazyazn

yup that was me, and thanks! :)

34. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I didn't know you had your car out there! Son of a...

Laraine again showed me how to drive in a National event. I didn't do to well. New tires and a new alignment set-up and 4 wetish runs. Finished 8th out 14 I think. STX was one of the largest groups.
    We didn't want to bother sitting in our car all day in the rain on Sunday, so we blew it off.

35. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

I hope so, just trying to figure out if I want the stock rims or maybe 17x9.5/10 for autoX. I am leaning toward the 17x10, but I just can find any with some ridiculous offset.

36. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Honestly 9.5 is about the widest you'll want to go because 245mm is about 9.3 inches. If you with a 10 it will be alil to stretched. That is my 2 cents.

37. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Yup that is what I am going for. I don't think the tire rolling is a good thing in a car this big. Also with a slight stretch it will help with slip angle and response. There is a pro and a con with everything racing.

Plus it just something I want to try.

38. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

39. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Duke, I knew something was off with (I forgot his name now) the other STU about areo is not allowed in STU.

14.2 F.
    Addition of spoilers, splitters, rear wings, bumper covers, valances, side skirts, and non-functional sccops/vents is allowed provided that either:
    1. It is a production part which is standard or optional equipment of a US model of the vehicle. (“Model” is defined in Section 12.3.)
    2. It is listed in the vehicle manufacturer’s US accessory catalog for that vehicle for normal highway use. This does not allow for parts sold through a manufacturer’s performance catalog (e.g., Ford Racing, HPD, Mazdaspeed, Mopar Performance, Mugen, NISMO, SPT, TRD, etc).

So it is not that you can only remove, but it has to be a standard 'non-performance' accessory

40. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

So the decreative lip they sell as an option is perfectly legal. I think there it is a rear spilter thingy in there as well.

I am Zack btw... lol Half the folks from forums call me duke IRL anyway. Doesnt bother me.

41. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Miles, here is that rear sway bar brace thing I mentioned...

So STU legal or no? After re-reading the rule, I am thinking yes...

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Whi...ort-Brace-Subaru-Models-inc-2008-2011-WRX-STI

Substitution, addition, or removal of any anti-roll bar(s) is permitted.
    Bushing material, method of attachment, and locating points are unrestricted.
    This does not authorize the cutting of holes to route the bar(s)
    or links. Components such as anti-roll bars and strut housings that
    serve dual purposes by also functioning as suspension locators may
    not be modifi ed in ways that change the suspension geometry or steering
    geometry. Non-standard lateral members which connect between
    the brackets for the bar, including allowed strut bars per Section 14.2.G, are permitted.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  42. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

I would say it is. It could also be an SFC which allows 3 connection points.
    Now I have swinged to the 9.5" wide tire after finding this jewel. It is a really good read for all, Andy Hollis is an extremely respected guy in SCCA and is also known for his tire testing and feed back.

43. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

That is a good read.

Which tires are you aiming for with the 9.5?

The nittos I have seem to be very similar to the Dunlops. Rigid side wall, likes to be warm, but not to hot.

If you end up with dunlops I want a ride along for shopping purposes... I like the Nittos for their price per performance, but if another product is better it might sway my next choice.

44. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Double check the max tire width for STU. In STX the widest an AWD car can run is 245. RWD can go to a 255. I'm running 17x8 with 245-40. The little bit that hangs over the wheel acts like a bumper when I pull too close to a curb. Minimizes curb rash and cone-age.

45. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

This may help:

14.3 TIRES
    Tires must meet the eligibility requirements of the Street category with the following additional restrictions:
    Tires shall have a section width up to and including the following:
    STF, STC, STS, STR (AWD) – 225 mm
    STX (AWD), STU (AWD) – 245 mm
    STR (2WD) – 255 mm
    STX (2WD) – 265 mm
    STU (2WD) – 285 mm​
    14.4 WHEELS
    Any wheels are allowed with widths up to the following (OE wheels exceeding these maximums are not permitted):
    STF, STC, STS, STR (AWD) – 7.5”
    STX (AWD) – 8.0”
    STX (2WD), STR (2WD) – 9.0”
    STU – unlimited

46. Khionê

Khionê Member

Miles I wouldn't go any wider then a 9". I had 18x9.5 with 255 and those were stretched, 245 would be even more. If you really want 9.5, then go with 265 or 275, you will need your rear fenders rolled. Plus if you want 9.5, go with 38-45 offset. My first wheels were 18x9.5 35 offset with 255/35. You could tell that they rubbed since they had a few cuts in them. But the guy have the rear fenders rolled and I never had a problem with them rubbing. But if you want to stay in STU, then go with 9" width and the 245 will fit nicely on them.

47. Khionê

Khionê Member

Stretched tires would not be good for auto crossing. I have never seen a race team run stretch tires bc it help. Please stop reading ricer forms!!!! Stretched tires are for people who just want to say "yea I'm riding 10" wide wheels" they are for show and NO GO!!! It would hurt your handling and steering response.

48. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

If he runs wider than 245s though he has to bump up to street prepared.

I have my factory tires stretched on a 9.5" right now to drive to work and back. As long as you have your tire pressures correct the 9.5" is fine with a 245 on it. If the pressure gets to high it induces wheel hope understeer though.

49. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Keep in mind, the smaller the diameter of the tire, the turbo can spoon that much quicker mid-corner. 17" with 40/245 is a slightly smaller diameter as the OEM 16" 55/225. Figure out what combo of wheel/tire gets you close to the factory-set diameter and go from there. A wider wheel will weigh more, too.
    Unsprung weight is NOT your friend. I need to make that a t-shirt.

50. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Rotational mass is also not your friend... Rotational mass is the devil.