2014 auto cross inquiry

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by kohlby777, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Greg, a 245 on an 18x9.5 will 'look' significantly more stretched than on a 17. Though 245 mm is equal to 9.646"; so even on any 9.5 wide tire it is technicaly pinched. It's is not ricer forum that is talking about this, it is autocross tire forums. When you do this it helps stiffen up the side wall of our street tire which are inherently soft compared to that of an A6.

2. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

My gold wheels are 9.5 and these tires are the 245s that came on the car. They aren't stretched that much... It's almost perfect...

[​IMG]

3. kohlby777

kohlby777 Member

So who all is coming out to points 5 next Sunday?

4. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I will be there. My wife hadn't decided if she is driving yet so i haven't signed up yet.

5. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

We're in and running TO in the afternoon :) After the Match Tour, I realized I need more seat time. STX is a bit stacked with great drivers. Time for me to catch-up.

6. Andr3w

Andr3w Member

I registered and I'll be attending! My first ever autocross. Pretty excited!

7. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

I will be there too, probably with out new tires. The ones I am trying to get seam to hard to find, plus the wheels too.

8. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Any victory had againest you will be tainted because I know your tires are SHOT.

Good luck on the wheel and tire hunt though.

9. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I hope you signed up in novice, its a great deal you get a driving coach to help you along your way.

I would get there early for the morning session so that you can get some ride alongs.

10. kohlby777

kohlby777 Member

This is my first time entering out of the novice class, I'm already planning on last place in STX :rofl:

11. Andr3w

Andr3w Member

I did indeed sign up for Novice. I plan on getting there around 10am

12. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Whom ever is doing a rain dance for tomorrow needs to stop... Lol

13. Andr3w

Andr3w Member

haha.

So do they just give you a credit for the next one if it rains or what?

14. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Credit? No racing? Because of rain? We are like those pansy ass Nascar folks. We race in the rain... I still need to give tune my rain setup though.

15. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Andrew I missed you yesterday. You were working while I was doing Time only runs, but I saw that you got randall a couch.

You have fun?

16. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I think he enjoyed it ;) Every run was quicker. We did learn that his ABS light is on for a reason.

17. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

ABS? Who needs ABS?

18. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Me. Just not in snow...

19. Andr3w

Andr3w Member

I had a great time! Thanks for everything!

I will be coming out again for sure.

20. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Thats is good to hear. Looking forward to meeting you next time. The wife and I had a party to go to, so we had to rush off.

Preliminary results are up

Final
    PAX
    RAW

21. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Miles I have offically been humbled... You beat me with bald tires... Very nice driving man.

However that is the best overall finish I've ever had. Super happy with that.

Since I am running up a class I always look at the B-Street times. I would have been safely in first had I not been running STU.

I was looking at the result page and noticed they dont give Novices actual times... That's kinda counter productive I would think. Dont you want to know how you did, wither you hit a cone or DNF'd?

22. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Thanks, Zack. Its was also one of my best finishes overall. I also left BS because there was more competition in STU. Which I think will make us/I grown faster as drivers.

Novices do not have numbers, so it is impossible to track there time. Also it is not really the point to get times in novice.

23. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I totoally agree with that, and plus its so much more fun when there are alot of other people to race againest.

Did you autox your car last year?

24. Andr3w

Andr3w Member

I got an unofficial written time every run I had in novice. I improved every run thanks to great instruction. It was nice to see an improvement.

My fiance took some pictures of everything with her camera. I'll post them up after she finishes editing them.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  25. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Pictures!!!

I've been trying to get pictures of me driving my car all year. I've gotten 1 so far.

26. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

Looked like a great course, unfortunately all I had time to do was run by for the end of session a spectate , walk the course and head back home to the weekend duties
    Hopefully I will be running the next one though !

27. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Glad I bumped into you for the moment you where there.

This goes out to everyone, I am more then happy to help instruct you. If you see me standing around, come say hi. At least, I can watch from the side line and give you guys pointers. I can also jump in and coach you on course. It's never a problem.

I'm going to try and help with the Novice instructing more. If I see a Subaru, I'll try and grab you. It makes sense to get instruction from a driver that's familiar with your car's driving style.

Anyway, it's pretty bad ass seeing all these RS/WRX/STi out, being raced. We do make the best noises out there ;)

28. Andr3w

Andr3w Member

Here are some pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are more to be edited so if you don't see your Subaru there is a good chance it's coming up.

Also if anyone wants full resolution then shoot me a PM and I'll email it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  29. kohlby777

kohlby777 Member

I will absolutely take you up on that. This was my first event out of novice but I still very much consider myself a novice. Although it is a competition I'm really just out there to have a good time and become more familiar with my car. I could care less about what I place as long as I'm consistently improving if that makes since. I'd also like to say that everyone I've met from here are extremely helpful, genuine people and I appreciate the time you take to point us new comers in the right direction.

30. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Thanks for the pictures!

That is a good one of the black car. haha

31. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

It's all fun. If you're out there to win, there's a Pro class for you. If you want to just learn your car and have a blast doing it, then you're in the right place.

kohlby777, let's try and get you in our car for a run. Either Laraine or myself, it'll help you understand the whole: Brake. Turn. Throttle. Inputs needed to get our cars to turn quickly and not push so hard. Talk is one thing, but seeing it first hand is best.

Side note: I have a set of stock bugeye wheels. $150 and there're yours. You can wrap with better rubber for a season or 2. Until needing more tire comes into play. I painted them flat black so the brake dust doesn't show as much. They'll fit 16/225/50 - 5x100

32. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I highly recommend any tire upgrade for anyone

Tires and seat time make ALL the difference.

Randall I want a ride in your car as well. I need to wrap my head around the steering input thing. Your tip on me over tightening upon the occurance of understeer is spot on. That is going to be wicked hard habit to break.

33. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Yes Sir! Bring it. We need to get you to brake harder, later, in a straight line. Or with a flick of the wheel to get the car sideways if you're going to brake and turn at the same time :) Either works, not both ;)

34. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

I think I might have stubbled upon the flick thing at the last event. Not sure if we are talking about the something, but I was doing it on initial turn-in after braking and then coming back to the 'required' steering angle. Kind of like over clocking and the coming back :/

35. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

36. kohlby777

kohlby777 Member

I have a brand new set of 235/45/17 pilot super sports I'm going to be putting on soon, just wanting to get maybe one more autocross out of my current tires. I didn't get any seat time at points 5 and I feel like that was a huge mistake

37. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

For those that are not Facebook friends with me. I finally got the wheels and tires mounted. here is a little teaser

KhionĂª They don't look that bad, and so far I like the feedback they provide is very nice; not sure how much is the tire or the wheel.

Also some links for Points 6 and Points 7 sign up:
    Points 6 - Sunday, June 22, 2014
    Points 7 - Sunday, June 29, 2014

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  38. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Yup... Now i haven't got a hope in hell of beating you... Lol

Looks good from a fitment point of view.

39. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Keepin' up with the Wilkinson's ;)

I'm riding with you again, I want to see the difference with the turn-in. It should be quicker by a lot. Bring a water sprayer. Our tires got greasy on our last runs. ZII's, right?

40. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Keepin' up with the Wilkinson's, and Whittaker's is more like it. Bummed though, James has already said he won't be there this weekend.

I do not know about it being faster, no coil overs and all, but you a welcome to ride along.
    I want to get some time only runs too; hopping we are not in heat 4. I need to get some set time with this new setup.

I aways mean to bring a water sprayer, but I always forget :eek:hnoes:
    Any idea what temps the tires start falling off at? I cannot find anything on this

41. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I'll have sprayer that you can borrow between runs.

Ya I've been expecting to see James, but haven't in a long while.

Have you scrubbed in the tires yet? Or are you going to burn the stickers off on the first 2 runs? Lol

42. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

They have been on the car for about a week. So hopefully they are good and scrubed.

43. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

That is prolly best. I went out on mine with pieces of sticker that wouldn't come off still on there. It was a very interesting first run. Lol

44. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I don't know what temp is the melting point. But I found it, and it fucked me ;)
    Spray your IC, too. It helps a little. Maybe filling the sprayer up with ice is the way to go. I haven't tried that yet.

45. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

That isnt a bad idea, although I will likely be using the ice to put drinks in rather than keeping my spray bottle cool.

46. 06Scoobaru

06Scoobaru New Member

I just signed up. It's going to be hot out there. See you all out there.

47. kohlby777

kohlby777 Member

Anybody doing extra runs with me?

48. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

I will be trying, but that's only if ST_ is not in the 4th heat. If we are third I will be running in 3rd for points and 4th for time only.

I will be there all day, and more than happy to ride along with anyone, if they want a second opinion.

49. kohlby777

kohlby777 Member

Mulhouse I'll be there all day as well and would benefit from any ride alongs/seat time. Looks like we're going to have some nice weather for most of the day

50. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

It was great weather out there. It was warm but with a nice breeze going.

Nice to put a face with a screen name Kohlby.

Millhouse... I am SOOOO glad you werent in STU yesterday... lol I was driving like a tool. I think through my 5 runs due to timing issues I killed about 6 cones. I only had 2 clean runs. Only managed to get it down to a 45.9.