2014 auto cross inquiry

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by kohlby777, Jan 13, 2014.

1. kohlby777

kohlby777 Member

Always a pleasure to meet you all. My fastest was a 50 but I definitely feel like I'm improving little by little

2. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I tried out some of the steering flicking stuff that Randall couched me on with some success, but still in that learning curve.

I also found the "hot" point on my Nitto NT05s... after doing 3 runs I need to spray them down between the rest of the runs. My wife was co-driving and they were firing off the 2 driving cars FAST with very little cool down time. So spray intercooler, spray tires, air down tires, stop\start camera, and adjust drivers seat. Climb in a go.

I also learned that I need to keep ~ 1\2 a tank of gas in the car for weight balancing reasons. I usually have a 1\2 tank, but I miss calulated my fill up this time and was only left with a 1\4 tank. The car wouldnt rotate nearly as well as it did last even...

3. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Everyone is picking it up quickly. For a moment, I wasn't the only one that got beat by their wives. But, in the end, Laraine killed all of us. Again. She pulled off a 43.9 and I was somewhere around 44.5.

kohlby, I'll keep jumping in with you. The one ride along helped you a lot I think. We'll burn up those tires figuring your car out. If it's not too hard to remove, lets try this weekend without the rack on the car. I can help take it off in the parking lot.

What did you think of the ZIIs, Millhouse?

4. kohlby777

kohlby777 Member

I would really appreciate that Randall! And it's not too difficult to remove. You're right though the ride a long with you was extremely beneficial, I can see at least some of my mistakes from watching the game footage if you will. The whole brake, turn, throttle thing makes a lot more since now

5. 06Scoobaru

06Scoobaru New Member

6. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Thanks for the link.

Well... atleast I was consistant... .5 second difference between my times.

The corner workers blessed me...I am pretty sure my 45.3 run was dirty. I think my fastest clean run was a 45.8.

7. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Nice! You took out 3 S2k's, that's not an easy task.

We race in the morning, so if you have the time/cash TO is a GREAT way to push yourself. When it doesn't count, you can think about each run and try new lines. See what work best for you. Brake way early, see what a super tight entry and early throttle feels like. Or do your best at trail-braking. It's hard to pull this off in our cars, but if you throw it into the turn hard enough, a tap of the brake will bring you right around. Or, send you flying.

Which, just to be clear, in the event of a slide BOTH FEEL IN. DO NOT BE A HERO. I think you all know why I'm saying this. And I will add, every one I've met at a race has been super respectful, and some of the best newcomers we've had ever.

Safe is always the fastest way around the course. Just be smart and think of the other people on course.

8. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Oh, and everyone needs to use their side windows more. Look ahead. ;)

9. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I did better at this last time!! The only corner I had trouble look forward on was going on the bricks and off the bricks. That was my single weakest section, there was atleast 1.5-2 seconds left in that section for me.

I even practiced it while couching the wife. Who ended up with a 49.3 + 1, and she BARELY tapped a saloom cone. It was still standing but not in the square...

10. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

11. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

We all have our days. I decided at the last min to go into pro because I wanted to run TO in the afternoon and with ST_ in the 4th heat that would not be possible. Because of this I did not get a walk of the course. I DNF'd my 2nd run (there is good reason why Superdude says to look ahead) and coned my 3rd. Pro they only found your first 3 runs, though my 4th was much faster 43.7+1 it did not count :( leaving only my first run 45.0

After to TO runs, especially when you got in, I was satisfied. I took me up to that run to really find the limits of them.
    I did find that they did not mind being over 140F, but would assume that much high and it would start falling off.

+1
    I agree completely. This helped me a lot last sunday. I was able to get down to a 43.9 also right after you got out.
    Oh and I drop 3 PSI all around (32~F, 37~R) for the last run.

here is my first run:
    http://youtu.be/KHRPw82mmto

12. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Ok that throttle brake\gauge thing is cool... I assume its some sort of app that works with the accessport?

13. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

LOL I wish it was as simple as using an app. Maybe that will be in V4 - bluetooth to a phone to use as the display and recored video at the same time.

I do use the AP to data-log the info and the a program called "RaceRender 2" to merge the data.

14. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Wow, 140° is really hot. Clean run, though.

Here's my best, clean run that counted. Near the end, you can hear it get fuel starvation and back fire. That's with 3/4 of a tank :|

Man, I'm slow in the slalom.

http://youtu.be/kNVbEOeTraw

15. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Oh also you do not have to have an AP to do this.
    Before I used an ELM (like this) and if you have an Android device you can download the Torque app (free/lite, paid/pro).
    This will allow you to data log just the same.

If anyone want to try I still have my ELM ;)

16. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I've been wanting to get one of them and use the Torque app for a while, but I have some other goodies I need to purchase first. Like power tools so it does take 30 mins to change wheels.

Miles are you going pro again this event? Or are we have an STU duel.

17. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

I might go pro again. Now that there are some guys back in BS you could play there with those guys. You would have won the class last sunday.

I have my ELM just sitting if you want to borrow it for a race or two.

18. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I might do that, right now no one is signed up in BS either though... I am a man without a class...

I actually would have taken the Street Class's top time looking at the top times of the day thing at the bottom.

19. 06Scoobaru

06Scoobaru New Member

20. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I got killed yesterday... lol

My 1 decent time I coned... I have had my humble pie...

21. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Some one learned how to drive....

Millhouse, gettin' it done! Great driving Sir.

22. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I disapprove of Millhouse's learning curve... lol

*shakes fist at the sky*

It was a very nice drive that is for sure.

23. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

24. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Thanks Randy, I really liked that course. It left a lot of room for interpretation and mistake.
    I cannot believe what I did will so 'little' car prep for my class. I am still on factory shocks and camber settings and I have yet to get a 'good' alignment.

I am pleasantly surprised with my results, and looking at the video there was still some room for improvement.
    http://youtu.be/1N0dqEBB4UM

25. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Your 40-60 mph is nuts. What I noticed most with the video, is the lack of throttle early into the 90° left, just after the start turn. I was braking hard and throwing it. In my TO runs, I played more with momentum on this course and it was the quicker time. Best of the day was a 49.978.

26. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

So, if you're truly new to auto-x and want to get some quality seat time in, this is where to do it. This is an event for learning, not racing. But it's a really fun way to learn your car. Even if you don't have intentions on competing regularly, it's a safe way to push yourself and your cars.

I'll be out there instructing. Come by, make it rolling Subi auto-x car show ;)

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events...field-green-lot-scca-solo-161219#.U7GgHo1dX41

27. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Here's a bump for the Novice School/ Test and Tune on Saturday. We need more folks to sign up. It's a full day of seat time, this is what makes a driver quicker.

28. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

So who's ready for atlanta motor speedway?

29. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

Sounds good-hoping I can make it

30. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

So... The weather is predicting rain...

Every one got their rain gear and umbrellas ready?

31. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I hadn't looked yet. My car's at AllPro getting some worn out parts fixed. She's going back to the stock flywheel and IC for Nationals :( I'm going to miss that flywheel...

32. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

We got an 80% chance of rain predicted for saturday. So stopping at wally world for another rain suit... best $10 ever for rainy autox.

Well that sucks.

So you are traveling all the way out west to go nationals? Wow... that's a drive...

33. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

It'll be a bouncy one for sure.

So I just was informed of this. I could have been paid last year! You STU guys should look into this.

Contingencies Outlined for Tire Rack Solo Nationals
    Subaru of America has pledged their support with their own contingency program for the Solo National Championships. Entrants in eligible classes can take home $1,250 for a first-place finish. The company will pay down to fifth place, dropping $250 for each position. Subaru has also made a change to their ProSolo payouts. Class winners at the ProSolo Finale will enjoy doubled payouts. In addition, Subaru will offer $1,000 to each year-end point winner in class and challenge standings. Second place is worth $750, followed by $500 for third.
    For more information on these contingency programs and how to register to participate, visit http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=51955. Drivers must register for contingency programs prior to competing. Program descriptions should be read carefully to ensure all requirements are met. Failure to meet any listed requirements will result in forfeiting of awards.

As it stands now, Laraine is bringing in the Trophy in the STX ATL region. I hope to fix that in the next 2 races. I need to find 4 seconds in 2 events.

34. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Holy HELL!!!

I am 2 or 3rd in class right now for the year... millhouse being first.

So where do I sign up for this program at...

I am reading the actual thing, it doesnt mention the yearly regional comp, where are you seeing that information.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  35. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but this is only for national and pro tours, regional events are not qualified. Unless something has changed since I last looked thru this.

But if you are Laraine place well at nationals you both could have some extra walking around money.

36. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I believe millhouse is right...

That being said, is this upcoming SE Division event considered a national event?

37. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Unfortunately I do not think/see this is part of the "tour's"

38. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

So who all is going to be doing the SE Div. Event both days?

39. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

40. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

We're going for sure. It'll give us a good 2 days of testing/learning the new set-up. Although, she's still not happy. But AllPro is on it. I ain't skeerd.

41. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

They FINALLY have points up. But Points 8 is all jacked up, still.

42. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

http://www.atlantascca.com/events/solo/results/

Dropping the 3 lowest (5 highest points) for STX, puts you and Laraine within 1.33 points, and for STU James and myself within 3.67 points. It is going to be a close race to the end.

43. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

So how many events do we get?

I think the last number I heard was 6?

44. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

You drop your worst 3, so 7 out of 10 races count. 5 is needed to win a class.

45. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

There was a FR-S running with the Pro class the other weekend and they did really well. They took 2nd in Pro with a 63.314 raw time. That's fast. They ran Hankook's. I wish I could just try on a set of tires to see how they perform on my car. Anyway, it good to see a FR-s/BRZ do well. After racing the RX8, I'm leaning harder toward a RWD car.

46. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

After seeing what that grassroot motorsports 350z did... You ought to look at one of them if you are thinking of switching cars, but then you would be in STU with us...:coolugh:

47. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

48. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Here is a shot of my second run.
    Why my second you ask
    • Nope it was not my fastest. I did not get that one on video.
    • Fubar'ed my 3rd run, all nannies where left on.
    • So that leaves the 2nd

I really wish I had gotten my 4th, because it was a great lap!

[youtube]PHgK0UOQ2Mw[/youtube]

49. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I havent had time to do my videos with all the crap I got going on lately.

I hope more folks sign up for the SEDIV event... 8 runs... for $55... Plus food and party...

50. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Agreed, also they need 80 people by Thursday or it is canceled. Currently there is only 46 entries right now.