2015 AutoX Thread

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by ~The_Duke~, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Its that time of year again folks!!!

2015 Solo Rules
    http://tinyurl.com/2015SoloRules

Here is the schedule that has been posted on our local SCCA forum.

So who's coming racing with us this year!?!

PS: Miles what have you done to your car over the winter break :eek:hnoes:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  2. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

I have something new on order that I might have to bring out to an autox, because it has been years since I was at one (or had a fun car).

From my quick check, looks like it will be in the FS class

3. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

What is it?

Since its FS, I am going to guess a new Mustang?

4. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

mayyyyybeeee

5. BigCrazyAl

BigCrazyAl New Member

I'd really like to try to do this this year. I hope my car's suspension issues are ironed out by the time this starts up. I've never officially signed up before so I'm sure a license and driver school are required. We'll see!

6. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Nope no license or driving school required. Althought they do offer a driving school at the Test and Tune events usually.

Just make sure you sign up in the novice class and one of our seasoned vets will be your instructor for the day.

7. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Thanks for starting this.

This is the best place to start with any questions.
    http://tinyurl.com/AUTOXRULES

If it's not clear, shoot us the questions. One of can help I'm sure.

8. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

This is going to be my first year NOT in the WRX. Not sure how I feel about it, yet. SM looks to be a really fun class, though. At Nationals, WRX's ran away with the class. Kind of funny I'm leaving the ringer car, for a less capable car in the class. Again.

9. ApexShift

ApexShift Member

Sorry to hear you won't be driving the WRX. You were really starting to kill it. What are you driving this season?

10. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I'm jumping in with Lee in his e30 SM car. He's been doing a ton of work over the winter, so it should be in good shape for this year. I want to get a grip with RWD. I drove Wes's RX8 and that was just amazing how the car would change direction so willingly. I'll hopefully be up to speed quickly in the e30.

You and all of STU have to worry about your co-driver now :naughty:

11. ApexShift

ApexShift Member

Glad to hear you found a fast ride for the season. It is crazy how neutral those cars are and I'm sure you'll pick it up quick and have a blast!

I totally agree about STU! Given the fact that your wife beat you a good bit in your car, and both of you occasionally (don't ask what my definition of "occasionally" means) made me look bad in your WRX, I'm kind of scared to see what she does in my car.

I did say that we needed to boost the competition in STU so that all of us grew. I need to be careful what I wish for!

12. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

The power will slow her down as first, but she'll be up there after a few events I'm sure. Now you can see how fast smooth is, and how hard it is to replicate it. :eek:hnoes:

13. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Man I just realized/saw the call out at the bottom of this :grr:

You might be happy, but I have not done anything major, as of yet. We had an expensive last couple of months, which has left the Subie budget at 0.00!

Though I was figuring out a few thing at points 10, that should make the current setup a little faster. Which means I have a few things to actually test at the test-n-tune and not just play around. Depending on how things go at the test-n-tune, I might have 2 5mm spacers for ya, James.

14. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Sweet! I might have a hope! lol :coolugh:

I need to test sway bar settings at the test and tune, and get some seat time with my new goodies installed.

Even if I get beat bad again, it'll still be one heck of a fun year.

15. ApexShift

ApexShift Member

Also glad that you didn't go all out in the off season Miles. I love some good competition, but my worn out older STi is finding it harder and harder to keep up with you fancier new models. Woohoo about the spacers :)sx:)!! No testing needed though Miles, the car will rotate better without the spacers in the back. Just save some effort and bring them for me to test ;)

Sounds like you got some goodies in the off season Mr. Duke. Can't wait to see how you do this season. You were improving very steadily and just needed a more controllable car to do some real damage.

See all of you at the TNT. I ended up finding a nice set of single adjustable Ohlin FPS (fixed perch spring) struts that Jay made me aware of. Can't wait to see what they do!

16. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

ooohhhhh, I am jealous!!
    I have been trying to save for some of these for a long time! or thinking of going cheap and getting a use set of BC BR's

I did't know there where any single adjustable Ohlins, maybe not for the our newer fancier cars :rofl:

17. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Why not go ERs? They were fantastic auto-x coils.

18. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Price wise I think Ohlins >> BC ER
    Just my opinion though. Ohlins have a really good racing history.
    But I don't have the money for either right now. :wtc:

19. ApexShift

ApexShift Member

Yeah, I knew I wasn't going to have the funds for coilovers soon (if ever), but really would have loved a set of KW T3's or the RCE version.

Jay Parcon has these struts on the EVO and loves them, but they stopped making them forever ago (one good reason to have the older car :)) and they're super rare. He's been looking for a pair for his WRX and saw these and texted me. I totally owe him since I quickly snatched them up for barely more then what my struts will sell for!

20. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

I had a chance to get some used V3's on here from a local guy. I was going to use our tax return, but we did not communicate for a while and the wife and I end up buying a big TV :eek3:. Then a week after, he texted me that he finally took them off. whoops!

There may be hope with a coming bonus or pay raise, but I might have to settle with the BC BR's for now:wtc:

21. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I meant, the ERs over the BR you mentioned earlier in a post. Ohlins and BC are not the same price at all. With Swift springs, the ERs new are about $1800 with camber plates. You won't find double adjustable, external reservoir, Swift springs & camber plates new CO for less. Just sayin' :wavey:

22. DI2009

DI2009 New Member

I'd love to go. The last time I went was back in the early 2000s. I did CS in my stock 1st gen RX-7.

I have a 2015 WRX that is completely stock. 2 questions.

1. Can I use my dirt bike helmet? Lol. I had a racing helmet and let a Buddy borrow it that never gave it back.
    2. What class would this car be in? Too lazy to Google it :(

23. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

As long as your helmet is DOT approved you should be fine.

Go look at the tag on the inside of the helmet. M2005+ are still good to use.

2015 WRX will be in DS I believe, if it is still stock. However if you've never autox before sign up in novice.

24. ApexShift

ApexShift Member

Welcome DI2009, really hope you can make it out. All us Subie folk love to help any way possible, so come say hi.

We should probably make a list sometime of who drives what.

Here we go:
    ApexShift - 2005 White STi with the black wing - STU - James
    The Duke
    Superdude - Not driving a Subie anymore :(, but still super helpful
    Millhouse04

25. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I am in 25 STU, A Plasma blue hatch.

26. DI2009

DI2009 New Member

Thanks everyone. I look forwarding to meeting you guys out there. I'll be in a 15 WRX Crystal White Pearl that is 100% stock except for HT AUTOS full kit and JDM grill. I'll stick to Novice since its been so long since I've done SOLO.

27. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I got all of my brakes and susp. work done over the weekend... I am ready now.

Now about that weather forcast... not looking forward to 40 and raining... lol

28. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

2013 STi WRB, STU #13 or 113 (wife's)

29. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I'll be running in SM in the sweet flat black 1987 325. #87/187

I'm working TECH again this year. If you have any questions about anything going on, feel free to ask away. I'm the taller Randy working TECH, but the only Superdude.

30. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

alright, i think i'm going to give this a go finally.

should be fun, i hope i don't hit too many cones :p

31. DI2009

DI2009 New Member

One last question. I signed up for Novice since it has been over 10 years since I ran in CS with the stock RX-7 for a few seasons.

The Novice video said to show up around 10am? I was planning on arriving when opens to watch other people and help out if needed. Or will they not let me in until 10am?

32. Cb7tuner

Cb7tuner New Member

ill be back again this year to do all the turner field and AMS events :sx:

33. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

You can show up as early as you want. There's lots of behind the seen setting up in the mornings. However, with this being the first event of the year, it'll be a slower process as we all have cobwebs to clean out. Look for folks in bright orange shirts around the bright orange trailer. They'll find something that needs setting up.

34. hey guys! can some of you that may know me tell me who you are. trying to put faces with User names haha. I know Superdude is you Randall right?

35. some of you guys have probably seen me and my wife corrin around the ARSCCA, MGASCCA and Dixie SCCA events in some sort of class or car haha. haven't autocrossed in Atlanta since the last AMS event last year where I took out my WRB 2015 STI to test it out just after I purchased it. I was running PRO-BS and I know I talked to a bunch of Subie guys at the event haha

36. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Brian, Yeah you talked to me at that event and just recently on FB:naughty:. My name is Miles

37. haha yeap I remembered you too miles

38. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

That's me! You guys making any trips up this year?

39. Yep I'm sure we will. Hopefully we can find a babysitter and try out the sti with mods soon :) it was stupid fast completely stock the one time we drove it

40. ApexShift

ApexShift Member

My name is James and I drive the 2005 White STi in STU that has blackish wheels and a spoiler. I'm pretty sure we meet at the event also.

41. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Excellent!!

I'll keep an eye out for an awesome fender flared STi. :naughty:

42. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

43. crazyazn

44. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Excellent Addition to the thread. :bigthumb:

45. Yep! I remember you James! that was a fun event with a really fun course that day. we cant wait to get back out. The Sti now has slightly better tires, RCE yellow springs, Whiteline 22mm RSB, Pads,Fluids,Stainless lines, Invidia Downpipe and Stage 2 tune :) although its sort of a handful and not setup for autox at all, I believe its probably the fastest autocross car we've ever owned. Randall I seen the old post about driving Wes' RX8, that's a really sweet car. I really miss our old STX R3 sometimes. I regret not finishing that car and sticking with it. We only sold it to clear some debt for our mortgage because the bank required it :(

46. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

You guys are continuing to be super helpful!
    Planning on points one and hopefully more events than last year.

47. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

It'll be COLD and WET. Please bring a lot of extra clothing to replace wet ones (socks & shoes). Last year I learned my lesson. It's always colder in the middle of a parking lot then outside your front door. Just sayin'...

Brian, would you be running SM?

Chip, I'll be around on Sunday. I'll keep an eye on you ;)

48. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Rain suits are $20 at walmart, wear them then keep your receipt and return it. I'll have mine on...

49. crazyazn

oh man, I goofed up bad. I forgot to register during lunch today and now novice is sold out :(

well poop. I might still drive out to see you all and my bro-inlaw have fun.

50. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

My wife wont be coming with me this time due to the weather risk. I'll have a passenger seat open most of the day, specially if Miles and James are whooping me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.