2015 AutoX Thread

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by ~The_Duke~, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I've yet to test the RE71's out in the dry... According to reviews they aren't that good in the wet, so I am VERY eager to see how they due when they are supposed to be good...

2. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Yeah I don't think you can change the width of your model year. Though diameter can +/- 1".
    Square may or may not be a good idea. I mean 275s up front might be hard to get the temp up, even on a hot day.

3. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

But he can go by other factory optioned wheels. For example, the 2011 - 2014STi sedan base models had a 18x8 wheel. They could upgrade to an 18x8.5 because it was a factory option for that car that year. As long as it was a factory option, he's good.

Then from wheel choice he can go +\- 1" diameter and +\- 7mm on the offset. So for us in BS we could go as low a +48 offset on a 17x8.5 for example.

I don't think he'll have trouble getting those 275s warm. Its a powerful car with nice leather seats and plenty of heavyish kit in it. Plus have you seen the way he drives that thing out there? lol

4. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Because the Boss Mustang was such a dominant car in FS, not a lot of folks were running the E90/92 M cars. But, now that their prices came down to realistic levels, more folks are figuring out the set up. Someone beat Jatrice (sp) a few weeks ago to take FS in Ohio with an M3. So it could be a competitive car in FS. Jatrice has move on to the 2015 Mustang GT, so he does have some more learning to do in the seat. He'll still be the car to beat @ National events. BUT, the guy that won is running a Square set-up on f9/r10 18". Which I can't do :|

5. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

At first I did not like the course the course this weekend, but after driving it...it was a blast; even though my first run was completely wet. I hope someone got a picture of that run, I was ALL over the place.
    I am also very impressed how my wife is progress and getting more and more comfortable with the car. I think I even saw here sliding some...Thanks Randy, I think Elena is going to want some more coaching!

I have to say I was also getting a little nervous about having to go get some new RE71R's :naughty:

6. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Had I not been having focus problems... lol

It was GREAT course I loved it, was having trouble driving it... but I loved it. Those damned cones were jumping in front of the car I swear...

Good drive miles... :grr:

The bridgestones are REALLY good wet or dry or damp. My only problem with them is that they don't talk back, you can feel everything amazingly up to a point. Most street tires will start squealing or something once you have them past their limit. Either I haven't past the limit yet or they just don't make noise.

7. the course was very fun. very good flow, I should have figured after I found out JP did the course design haha

8. my car was amazing, only issue is the amount of weight transfer and how long I have to wait for the car to set before being able to get on the throttle. the balance and grip is amazing though in the FOST. Im ready for the next event because the tires weren't even scrubbed in on the FOST until this event, so I should be able to get a little closer to you guys next event (hopefully) btw, anyone do the couples times for this event? id be me and corrin didn't win this one haha. my best time that counted was a 53.1 and hers was a 54.1

9. 53.3 for me**

10. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I'll chime in and say, I didn't learn anything about my car except that the Conti DWs are freakish in the wet. I may never know how they drive on a dry surface.

Elena is getting better with her confidence. She had it sideways coming back up the hill, off of the bricks by the bus stop and didn't lift. She turned into the slide and kept her momentum going. She even found the rev limiter.

That was Jay Parcon course. You can tell by the pucker factor. He finds room in every design to set up a high speed sweeper or 2. Because it's fun to drive sideways. Speaking of which, how'd you like the ride a long in the E30, Miles? It's a little different way to go around a course...

Finished 3rd in SM with a 51.069. Ask Jeffery how much he like cones now :)

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  11. wait I forgot, im in GS. im a pax racer now ;) haha. Looks like I was at 42.977, Myles was at 43.141, Corrin was at 43.648, Zach was at 43.696 haha

12. you were making me very badly want to prep my e30 for autox :)

13. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

He prolly likes them just as me, I hit 6 through out the day... :wtc:

14. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

I'm hoping to come join you guys next month! Does Atlanta Region have a Street Tire - Modified class of sorts? Basically anything on street tires?

15. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Yes we do, its the STM class.

16. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Jay does make some really good courses! the E30 is a whole different beast. It seam to like to slide, but if you got on it to much, I could see how it would easily spin on you.

17. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

SM PAX is one of the toughest, which is why the car is only competitive regionally. With that excuse, my PAX is 44.430 :keke:

18. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

The car is hands down, the most fun I've had at the wheel, ever. When/If you get it all strung together, it's just super rewarding. Lee found a donor E36 M3 for his swop. Nick, the white E30, stroked his motor and did suspension parts. So there's a few options if you wanted to go that way. It might be up for sale come the end of the year. I know he's thinking about a new car already.

19. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah the course was a lot of fun, it also helped that Jay rode along on my first one, he really helped me with understanding how much farther down the course i need to be looking. So definitely a huge thing I need work on.

Also as Randy said, I nailed a cone pretty good coming out of the first slalom in front of the trailer.

And about the pics, I'm working on it, culling them down, hopefully saturday I'll have those ready, its just been a really rough work week for me and I've been taking stuff home to work on

20. Jay taught me more about autox than anyone else. also instructed me at Road Atlanta once. He is an amazing driver, instructor, and car setup genius. If only he would drive his own cars or prep his own cars and actually try to go fast. Ive seen it before and he is ridiculous fast haha

21. Randall im just worried id have to drop 5k or more in the e30 just to get it up to fast quick as the FOST haha. On a side note, mine is a 91 318i and ive never seen one prepped for autox. only 20 less hp than the 325i, but almost 400lbs lighter and most of that weight comes off of the nose. it could be good :)

22. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Yeah, that course was on good lesson in looking ahead, and rewarding if you did. It was great to see you cut so much time off each run. Just got to remember that because of turbo lag, you have to get on it sooner than you would think. If you watch the video (0.33s), you will hear the bypass valve multiple time coming out of the 180 into the slalom. This is because I am getting on it to soon, build to much boost, and having to lift.

[youtube]kBIwQdAfiTc[/youtube]

23. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

Thanks! :)

24. Wheeljack

Wheeljack New Member

I got to try the RS3s in the dry in Macon this past weekend. I like them much better than my old Z2s. They don't mind if you throw the car around a bit, and the car is much easier to catch when the back end steps out. They also seem to like spraying between runs as well.

25. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Thanks for the input on the RS3s. They do run better cool, so spray them as much as you can. Z2's can get real hot with out getting slippery, RS3s give up at high temps. From all the data I've read, the RS3s are a better choice for lighter cars, as they don't put as much heat into a tire.

We were running the RS3s on the E30 the first few events and I loved how smooth the transition back to center was for the rear. The rear didn't snap back under you, it kind of slides back into shape. Less corrections are needed, so they should be faster tires on the BRZs.

26. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

27. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I'm driving a Subaru powertrain this weekend, but it's not in a Subaru... :coold:

28. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Stuke's car? :naughty:

29. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Indeed! I've never driven a full-on Mod car. The 818 should be a fun place to start :)

30. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Anyone want to bet how long it take Randall to go out and start building one after he drives it?

31. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I think the better bet is, how long will it take for me to spin it coming out of a corner?

I say I spin it on the 2nd run. The first run I'll probably be too big of a pussy to push it that hard. 295s with RWD and 300+WHP in a 1400lb car probably won't hook up like the E30.

32. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

Signed up for Sunday in STM! :)

33. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

It's gonna be a hot one for sure. Be prepared with lots of sun screen and cold water.

34. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

At these summer events I drink on average about 16-20 20oz bottles of water... bring a WHOLE pack of water... and drink it. When in doubt chug the bottle of water in your hand and start another one. Dehydration is no fun...

Yes lots of sun block, floppy hat not just a ball cap, sun glasses.

35. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

Yeah... :|

I've been working on-site at a natural gas pumping facility all week doing a site survey. Yeah, this heat sucks!

36. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  37. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Besides adding the Boxster into STU, what are the other big changes? I must be missing something.
    The wheel width restriction is irrelevant, they state that not one competitor ran anything over 11" anyway. Are the RWD car limited to 265 now? That could be a game changer for the Z cars and the Grand Sport.

38. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

The RWD can have a 285 this year, the big change is the 255 for AWD cars.

39. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

That's surprising! Shame my STI is well beyond STI legality...

40. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Glade to see everyone stayed safe. I did not see anyone have issues with heat! My car read 99 on the way back:eek3:

As long as it is not mid/rear engine.

Change the following language in 14.3 TIRES:
    STU (2WD, Mid-Engine, Rear-Engine) - 255mm
    STU (2WD, Other) - 285mm
    STU (AWD) - 255mm:naughty:

This should still help us battle better with the 350's and other classes. 10 mm might not seam like much but x4; 40 mm total on an AWD, I believe will be huge!

I am not sure what the 350 and other RWD cars use, but the 11" limiter keeps them from stretching there 285 tire.

41. David99

David99 New Member

I think I had "issues" with the heat... At least that's my excuse why I only had one clean run.:) O'well it's still fun chasing you guys. I'm #99 in the Gray WRX.

42. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Nice to see you on here!!!

Miles... *shakes fist* I'll get you next time!!!
    [​IMG]

Here are the videos I took.

Here are my wife and I's fastest runs from yesterday.

Mine : 49.433
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOJibRoAVCw

My Wife's : 51.564 + 1 (She BARELY, got the cone... David, that cone saved your 3rd place finish. :keke:)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0ux9iuYTQc

One of my novice students also took some video, this was a modded Focus ST of some sort. I was very impressed with that thing... He ended up with a 54 second lap by the end of the day. Not to shabby from someone who's never done it before.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g8kaUxEWUY

43. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

44. David99

David99 New Member

So, when she beats me, do I loose my MAN card? :eek:hnoes:

45. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Nope. You gut use to it. I speak from experience...

46. crazyazn

yah SM class, we are getting demolished by a woman from Alabama! though, its not like im even points competitive, it all still fun.

I think I had at least one clean run on sunday, but my first one, I nailed one gate on the long straight almost dead on. Popped my bumper out too :(

47. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Those 2 cone gates at 60 mph are what cracked my bumper... They are mean...

Jeff make sure you post the picture link again... :naughty:

48. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

If it ain't turnin', you got a give that wheel a yank and hammer the gas.

One of the most critical, and hardest, thing to get right is to be early. 2 things are going on, you're not looking/thinking far enough ahead and your turn-in is too late. Breaking points are important, but if you can get the car into it's entry angle at a faster speed, you can dial out oversteer with your throttle. Understeer is only corrected with killing your momentum. And it breaks front bumpers on cones. :)

49. crazyazn

Yah thankfully i don't think I cracked the bumper it just popped out and probably dissipated most of the energy doing that.

I'm almost done with the pics, my nephew came over last night with my sister and bro-in law, so i got distracted by a crawling baby.

My hitting the gate is exactly what Randy said, I seem to skip a gate or two in memory and just recall the big turns, but either way I was way late on the entry into the slalom that first run. I overestimated the car's ability to lift oversteer and got a whole lot of understeer so i must have looked like a idiot sawing away at the steering wheel trying to get the car tighter to the cones before the left turn into the second horseshoe.

50. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

Had a good time on Sunday, despite the heat! Good meeting you, Jeff. :)

David99, I should've said hi... I was in grid beside you, #4 STM. Wound up 2nd of 3 drivers in class. I'm surprised STM is such a small class here.

My fourth and fastest run: https://youtu.be/p1bgyet0jsc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.