2016 Autocross thread

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by Millhouse04, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

So the off season is slowly drawing to a close and there is a new autocross club in town.

For those that have not heard about AutoXatlanta (AXA), go check there Facebook pager here. They are offering the same old stuff, with a new twist. It will follow the same rules of SCCA group does. Which there draft of 2016 rules can be found here. So here's to another outlet for your racing pleaser.

The SCCA group is saying that there schedule will be out next week :sx: and the AutoXAtlanta group a preliminary one on there FB page.

So lets here those off season builds or plans before the season!
    I know there has been some major rule changes for STU this year. Which are already in the daft :eek:hnoes:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  2. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

definitely excited to see how all of this pans out. I'm still working tires for this year.

3. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

autoxaltanta?

4. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Yeah, some of the guys running the SCCA Auto-x club the last few years, are trying to make this sport bigger and better for participants locally.

We're not stuck to the SCCA guild lines for saftey, allowing for freer flowing course designs that might be scary to some newcomers. But we'll still be out there making it safe and fun for everyone. The money will be 100% reinvested into the club so in-time, we'll be able to purchase land and pave the shit out of it so we have our own place to play. That's further down the road of course. BUT we need you guys come out and help build this club so we can do some of these awesome things for the community. The courses will designed by Randall Rutledge and Jay Parcon. If you've ever had the pleasure of watching Jay drive, his courses are design to challenge drivers at higher speeds then the local SCCA courses. Come out and see for your self!

With all this being said, BOTH the SCCA and AutoXAtlanta need your support! Get your helmets and tires bought and lets make 2016 the year of Solo racing in the ATL! Bring it Ladies and Gents!

5. STIstorm

STIstorm Supporting Member

I really want to get into this this year!

6. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

^ Do it. :)

I'm looking forward to racing this year! But I really need my Limited to disappear, first, so I can pick up a new platform...

Also, turbo AWD on 265s and unlimited-width wheels should be good competition and/or fun to watch! :D

7. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

Thanks, fixed it :)
    With the 265 and AWD the wheels are limited, but it is a massive 11" width but unlimited on diameter.
    I am still trying to find a 18x10.5 that will fit and not cost more than $1,500, but that might not be possible (common powerball :sx:).

8. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I am sticking with a 9.5" for this year. I'll see how that works out.

I already have purchased a 2nd set of 18x9.5 in preparation.

Miles which tires are you going with?:eek:hnoes:

9. David99

David99 New Member

How are you going to fit 10.5's under the fenders?

I'm going conservative with 17x9, but this will allow me to run a 255 tire once my 235 ware out :naughty:

10. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

It'll fit, just barely. I was running a 17x9 +22 last season and those just barely fit.

18x10.5 +38ish should fit, with the key word being should.

I didn't want to spend the money this year to buy a full blown STU wheel package so I cheaped out to go with the 9.5s. I'll be running the 265s using basically the same setup I have on my street wheels, just with a slightly wider offset for the autox set.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  11. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

I'm excited to start AutoX-ing this year. I've been waiting for a job that lets me have the weekends and now that I'm starting with TRS I can now join in on the fun.

I'll run the Focus ST until the RS comes out and then I'll likely get one of those unless Subaru pulls their heads out their butts.

Got a stack of PSS ready. I'm excited to see all of you and learn all about car control!

12. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

There is already a very healthy bunch of folks in GS with focus ST's.

Have you done anything to it to put you out of GS into STX, like wider tires? Tune? Intake etc?

13. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

Nope, I'm totally stock. The set of PSS I have are off my old LGT and they're the same exact size tires as stock. I may plan on getting a set of RPF1s or something to put them so then I'll have to consider width and class changes. I have no plans of being that competitive out the gate. I just want to learn. :wiggle:

14. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

For your first 2 events I recommend signing up in novice and you'll get an instructor to help you along your path.

If I am free I'll hop in. :naughty:

15. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

A higher offset may be need, but those are looking to be $$ than I am also willing to spend right now. I might have to settle for some 18x10s.

16. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

not sure about the size your looking for or would need. but I will be selling my set of RPF1 17x9.5 +38 with DZ2 245/45R17 on them.
    For stock class you can change diameter +/- 1", width cannot change, and resultant track can only change +/- 14 mm (7 mm per tire). incase you did not know.

17. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

The FOST is a fun car. I drove one last year locally and at Nationals. It's a bit numb as it's a drive-by-wire set-up, but for the first year or 3 you'll have a blast in it!

I will say, don't worry about tire/wheel set-ups at first. The MOST important thing to learn in the beginning is listening to your tire's sounds. They should howl with a nice constant tone, not a chattering staccato sound. If you hear that, you have too much steering input and you'll need to back-off on the wheel. If they're quiet, go faster :)-

I need a co-drive this year, if there's any one here looking to learn from a fairly competent Co-Driver. I'll be your Huckleberry, err umm, Tire Warmer...

18. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Unless are on those bridgestone RE71R's, those do not howl or squeal. They just grip and then slide about a bit with very very little sound. They give great feedback through feel though.

That's why I ended up with another set of 9.5. I did some testing at the dragon a couple months back with my PSS. I was running a 36 warm in the front and pushing 7/10 chasing down some locals, one was a STU prepped 350z, and was getting minimal roll over. That PSS sidewall isn't near as stout as the ZII or the RE71R has so I figure the 9.5 should be good enough.

19. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

I am always looking to learn!

20. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Oh, believe me, on the FOST, they were loud if I F-ed my entry up. You can't touch the brakes and the wheel at the same time or it goes straight and says F-you. FWD, it only uses 3 wheels to turn.

21. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I drove a engine modded one with stock susp... Ya steering + brake = you'd better counter steer quick and add ALOT of throttle to pull yourself out of the slide. lol

You got quite a bit more seat time in those than I have though, the one I drove was during a novice couching session.

the FOST drives so much different than other FWD cars I've owned and driven. They really are FUN to drive.

22. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

This pretty much sums it up. It's was easier to over-rotate and throttle out then brake, turn and throttle. But then again, I only managed 21st out of about 45 at Nats.

23. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Thanks miles for confusing me into posting this into the wrong thread...

24. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

I still don't think the schedule changed :rofl:

25. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

It changed to the 2016 schedule, but I posted it in the 2015 thread... Matt promptly locked it though to prevent my dumb self from bumping the wrong thread.

26. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

not sure how that happened... n00b.

27. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I think the lack of morning caffeinated beverage was to blame for noobish behavior.

28. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I just click links, I didn't even notice.

29. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

:rofl: just how I saw it...

anyways....back on topic...

I might be getting a new job, all the while me and Elena are looking at moving.
    I am hoping this will help is car budget and build. So wheel, tires, rear camber arms and coils over maybe soon :eek:hnoes:

30. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

Someone buy my STI so I can play in STU in a Z! :D

31. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Oh really? They did pretty well at Nats this year.

32. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

I've been a VQ fan since my '00 Maxima, so it'll be fun to be back in one with more power. And RWD. :naughty:

33. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

Pretty well... lol they destroyed...:coolugh:

The 350z was the car to have last year in STU. We'll see what this 265 rule change does.

34. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Did I read that the Boxster base model is moving to STU?

35. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

You did.

If anyone will bring one out... That could be a VERY good car. However they did limit the tires on MR\RR cars to 255.

36. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

there where a few Porsche from IIRC. I got an email about it.

37. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Did anyone else notice that the SCCA Annual meeting is the same day as ATL-X's first Test n Tune? Feb 27th @ 3pm. It comes off juvenile. I hope it was an oversight.

38. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I didn't notice that, but that does seem to be very childish. I hope it is just an oversight as well.

I hope the 2 groups get along, because that will end up being awesome for the community to have so many events in the area.

39. b reel

b reel Active Member

OVERSITE? Sounds like typical SCCA bullshit as usual.

40. Millhouse04

Millhouse04 Member

ATSCCA has updated there tentative schedule, though it looks like there may be some changes still.

March 5th – TNT – Turner Field (Atlanta, GA)
    March 6th – P1 – Turner Field (Atlanta, GA)
    June 19th – P2 – Turner Field (Atlanta, GA)
    July 9th – Starting Line – Turner Field (Atlanta, GA)
    July 10th – P3 – Turner Field (Atlanta, GA) – Subject to Change
    July 16th – Novice School – Road Atlanta (Braselton, GA)
    July 17th – TNT – Road Atlanta (Braselton, GA)
    August 6th – P4 – Turner Field (Atlanta, GA)
    August 7th – P5 – Turner Field (Atlanta, GA)
    October 22nd – P6 – Atlanta Dragway (Commerce, GA)
    October 23rd – COC – Atlanta Dragway (Commerce, GA)
    November 5th – Novice School – Road Atlanta (Braselton, GA)
    November 6th – Fun Event – Road Atlanta (Braselton, GA)

http://atlantascca.com/schedule/

Again the AXA groups schedule is:

Feb 27 Test and Tune, Commerce
    Feb 28 Points 1, Commerce
    Apr 17 Novice School & Evo school, Commerce
    Apr 24 Points 2, Commerce
    June 19 Points 3, Commerce
    July 3 Points 4, Commerce
    July 24 Points 5, Commerce or AMS
    Sept 18 Points 6, Commerce
    Oct 2 Points 7, Commerce or AMS
    Oct 16 Points 8, Commerce
    Nov 20 Points 9, Commerce or AMS

https://www.facebook.com/AutoXAtlanta/posts/928521177225912

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  41. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

It is going to be a super fun year. I cant wait for it to get started.

42. Wheeljack

Wheeljack New Member

Did I hear @Superdude was looking for a codriver? I have an underprepped CS BRZ that will need RE71s soon.

43. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Oh yeah? I could rock a BRZ against Deech's "Moscato" Miata :coold: (I think they're in the same class)

I'm in if you are!

44. Wheeljack

Wheeljack New Member

Sounds good. We can work out the details later. If you want to run Pro against Deech, we may have to figure out how to get both of us and the car to the event. I'm going to try and beat the Z3s this year in CS. It will be tough, but I'll be starting out the year with the right tires and a sway bar.

45. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Sweet! Superdude's got a rid ;)

I'm ok running as your tire warmer. I did it all last year, too. It'll help you see what not to do on cold tires. I'm kind of looking forward to a ST class again. SM was a little nuts and GS was a little too slow and the wrong wheels did all the GO.

46. Wheeljack

Wheeljack New Member

The BRZ is slow and it's in street class for right now. That may change depending on how taxes and house hunting goes this year.
    All that said, it's one of the most fun cars I've driven. It will be very different from the ST.

47. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

If my wife isn't driving at any given event, feel free to grab me and try to snag seat Randall.

I could always use someone in the car telling me what they think needs done with it.

48. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I like to think of my season last year as driving the E30/E90 and the FOST was just kind of there in the middle somewhere ;)

Looking forward to getting into a RWD car again. It's where I need the most work. There's a fine line between fast and fun. The E30 never got past fun for me. (Because me) So, I need to practice with a lower HP car to get my inputs smoother and use momentum rather then TQ to finish a turn. We can talk $$$ over a beer soon.

49. bstuke

bstuke Member

If anyone is looking for an Autocross and Track car, the 818R is for sale, trailer and all.

50. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Oh man! What are you onto next?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.