60K Maint.....

Discussion in 'General Community' started by wileycoyote0022, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Ok, so im approaching that point were I need to do 60k on my car. Im pretty sure I have everything striaght as in what needs to be done (minus the inspection, unless this is different than any other 100 point inspection). Im more concerned right now with the cost, and if I really need to replace all of it at the same time or if I could just do it little by little, with no harm done.

Engine Oil - Royal Purple XPR 11 10w30 - 71.94
    Tranny & Diff Fulid - Royal Purple Synchromax - 50.60
    Power Steering Fulid - 6.84
    Anti-Freeze - 12.99
    K&N Air Filter - 49.88
    Good Year GatorBack Serpentine belt - 13.99
    Oil Drain Plug - 11.00
    NGK Itridium Spark Plugs - 51.96

Grand Total $301.00 with tax.....!

Is there anyway to do this cheaper, I am currently getting the Engine Oil, Tranny $ Diff fluid at discount. I know its gotta get done. FYI, havet bought any of it yet.

Has anyone used RP in there Diff or Tranny before, and what did you think? I know most of you run what subaru saids, but I wanted to hear from someone that has ran RP before.

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

you could use something cheaper than royal purple.

other than that, that is more on the cheaper end of the 60k maintenances i have seen.

3. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

don't bother with the power steering fluid, or the oil drain plug.

use OEM belt. there are two of them. also $71 for engine oil is fucking LOLtastic. I personally wouldnt buy a K&N either, just an OEM paper filter.

don't forget an oil filter, fuel filter.

subaru recommends changing the brake fluid at 60k. it's your call.

as far as diff/tranny fluid: if you have a 5spd, use the OEM fluids. a lot of people say RP runs like shit in the 5MT, but I have no personal experience here.
    6MT: eh who gives a fuck, vegetable oil works here. it isn't very picky, just make sure the weight is correct and has limited split additives

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  4. Jake

Jake Active Member

you could also do the scotty's cocktail tranny mix off of NASIOC. i know a few people who run it in their 5 speeds and say they shift smoother than the day they bought the car. of course that will raise your costs back up again.

5. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

Ditto on the oil and fuel filters. Need those. Also you may want to consider your pcv valve. It is under the intercooler. I have heard it is a good idea to change those. Just something to think about.

You can get the subaru tranny fluid by the gallon - just bring your container. I think you will need 4 or 5 quarts to do both the diff and tranny.

6. SubiNoobi

SubiNoobi Supporting Member

The royal purple seems to be the bulk of the expense. If you aren't locked into using royal purple, there are plenty of good oil products out there that are much less expensive.

I have found no hard evidence from others that synthetic tranny oil is better in the long run. I have heard that it will shift more smoothly for a while and then they have problems with the synchros. This has something to do with the oil being better for the gears, but not formulated for the different metal (bronze) of the synchros. Might want to read up on this on your own.

Also, K&N is good, but the OEM air filter is just fine, and much cheaper. $11

I would also look for some other places to source the spark plugs

I would also make sure to get the OEM coolant. $23 Will (WJM) has mentioned in a few other threads that it is important to use the OEM formula because of the metal alloy in the engine and radiator... he explains it better.

Also, don't forget oil filter - ~$7-8
    and fuel filter - ~$21 (I don't know if the 05 wrx needs this or not. My manual for my 06 actually says that I need to replace my fuel filter, but MY06 imprezas don't actually have a fuel filter....)

7. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

if you're dilligent about cleaning your K&N, its worth it. If you wait 5000k between cleanings of the thing, thats too long in atlanta driving. IMO...

are you already running synthetic in the engine?

8. FACE

FACE Active Member

Royal Purple FTL!!!

IMO

9. FACE

FACE Active Member

I believe the fuel filter for the 06-07 is in the tank...

10. Jake

Jake Active Member

I think it's in tank for all gd chassis. When I upgraded my fuel pump and injectors in my 02 I dot remember there being one anywhere else.

So all 02-07 wrx and sti should be in tank/on the end of the fuel pump

11. SubiNoobi

SubiNoobi Supporting Member

Right, there IS a fuel filter, but AFAIK it is not replaceable and is not a maintenance item.

12. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

it's in the engine bay in bugeyes near the driver's strut tower. intank is a sock on the pump and not really a filter

I would recommend changing it due to the gas retardedness that has been going on.

13. Thanks everyone, Im not stuck on RP, just thought i would give it a try. I will more than likely do scotti's mix, have heard lots about it, no negative either. As far as the K&N, got to thinking about that too, and it would make more logical sence to just put a OEM one in. I will be upgrading the intake side in about 6 months. Thanks everyone.

14. FACE

FACE Active Member

My 04 had the fuel filter in the engine bay...My 06 and 08 did not have the filter in the engine bay :))

15. Havent gotten the fuel filter yet, but I think ill do that one as well. Might as well, I really need to find out what going on with current issue. Buggin the crap out of me.

http://www.wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23083

16. jesus888

jesus888 Member

Hate to semi-hijack, but where can I order the stock Air filter online? for ~$11... just don't have time to get to any stealership...

17. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

there is a filter in the tank
    the white sock is not a filter per say - its a strainer before the pump
    there is a filter after the pump

heres is a DIY i wrote
    upgrade fuel pump

18. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

I use royal purple for my oil and differential fluid and I'm satisfied. Oil doesn't burn and diff has had zero issues.

19. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

How long have you had it? I've used it in my 5spd and it felt like crap. face would agree

20. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

^ I agree with Sparta. I too used royal purple gear oil and my transmission didn't like it at all. The only thing it liked was Subaru Extra-S (OEM) gear oil.

21. b reel

b reel Active Member

I've used Amsoil in the stock 5-spd and Amsoil/ATF 50/50 mix in the dogbox. Never had an issue with either and with the stock 5-spd couldn't tell the difference between OEM and Amsoil.