Adventures with unnamed: UPDATED 11/13/2009

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by XanRules, Oct 26, 2007.

1. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

Selective Yellow Filter Paint. :naughty:

2. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

So. I dunno how much of my stock motor I want to keep when I build this swap up.
    I mean, for about 800, I can get Valve Springs/Retainers, Rods, and Valves. What the heck, right?

3. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

4. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

5. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

I take paypal, cash, check, and money orders.
    And that's the motor I've been looking at - it just happens to come with the whole rear subframe, 50/50 AWD, brakes, etc etc.
    And fucking 20k on the clock.

6. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

do you except wampum? oh and i sold those projectors =/

7. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

That's okay. They wouldn't have fit this housing anyway.
    And no. :unamused:

8. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

Gonna be a big update coming soon, kids. Got some Morettes in a trade which are eventually going to be retrofitted, some gauges some kid was giving away, and I don't even know what else I've done since my last update.

9. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

[​IMG]

WOOOO HOOOOOO!!!

10. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

What, "Unleaded fuel only?"

11. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

:unamused:

12. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

So. I replaced my rusted, cracked, twisted factory 6-gauge battery cables with some new 2-gauge ones from AutoZone. Nothing fancy, just wanted to clean it up and have it all work.
    So, uh, I did that. And now the car won't start, and the battery doesn't even seem to have any juice in it - normally SOMETHING happens if I leave the positive terminal on the post and remove/replace the negative, but nothing's happening. No interior lights are coming on, no nothing.
    I can't figure it out.
    I double checked and triple checked all the connections. It's all wired up correctly and all the connections are secure. There's still power in the starter (trust me ) and everything is securely grounded. I mean, it's like my battery went dead in the course of a few hours.

Here's the only other two things I think it could potentially be.
    1. The factory ring terminal on the starter wasn't so much a ring terminal shape as it was kind of a -( O )- shape. It was a ring terminal with two little "arms" for lack of a better word. The ring terminal on the new battery is just a standard ring terminal.
    2. I replaced the wire to the fusible link (going into the fusebox), which I inadvertently clipped too short and used a slightly smaller gauge of wire - I went from 8g to 10g. However, I don't see this being a big enough difference to cause the car not to start and/or act like the battery is completely dead.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm really stumped.

Thanks in advance!

13. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

So. I replaced my rusted, cracked, twisted factory 6-gauge battery cables with some new 2-gauge ones from AutoZone. Nothing fancy, just wanted to clean it up and have it all work.
    So, uh, I did that. And now the car won't start, and the battery doesn't even seem to have any juice in it - normally SOMETHING happens if I leave the positive terminal on the post and remove/replace the negative, but nothing's happening. No interior lights are coming on, no nothing.
    I can't figure it out.
    I double checked and triple checked all the connections. It's all wired up correctly and all the connections are secure. There's still power in the starter (trust me ) and everything is securely grounded. I mean, it's like my battery went dead in the course of a few hours.

Here's the only other two things I think it could potentially be.
    1. The factory ring terminal on the starter wasn't so much a ring terminal shape as it was kind of a -( O )- shape. It was a ring terminal with two little "arms" for lack of a better word. The ring terminal on the new battery is just a standard ring terminal.
    2. I replaced the wire to the fusible link (going into the fusebox), which I inadvertently clipped too short and used a slightly smaller gauge of wire - I went from 8g to 10g. However, I don't see this being a big enough difference to cause the car not to start and/or act like the battery is completely dead.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm really stumped.

Thanks in advance!

14. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

I fixed it.

15. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

Wow, I haven't updated this in forever.
    I'll get on that, lots of new stuff.

16. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

As much as I love this car - with the catless track pipe and new BMW HID retrofit - I'm very strongly considering selling her.
    I'm having trouble justifying - to myself- the costs of repairs and maintenance on a 12-year old car whose history I only know for the last 30,000 miles. I'm on my second transmission, my third set of axles, and I just don't have the budget to keep repairing her. On the one hand, I can't think of anything that hasn't been replaced yet, so maybe better days are ahead. On the other, enough is enough. I've paid KBB value for this car 6 times over in repairs alone.
    Talk me into it or out of it.
    I'd be moving into a Hyundai Genesis Coupe R-Spec, for numerous reasons. I like the way Hyundai is moving as a company, whereas I'm constantly more and more disappointed with where Subaru is headed. Similarly, as much as I love the local Subaru community, I'm starting to really get tired of the Subaru community as a whole. Furthermore, I drove a new WRX and a G-Coupe, similarly equipped, back to back. The Coupe was about $7k cheaper and I liked it better. I'm not buying a used car ever again, so new is the only option for me at this point.
    Discuss.

17. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Wirelessly posted (From Your Mom's House)

sounds like your mind is made up...Good luck with the sale.

18. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

You know, it usually is, but every time I drive the car it gets a bit less made up as I rumble along and get waved at by other Impreza owners.
    Then again, as soon as I look at my numerous CELs and hear my clutch grinding along after 15k, I sort of think about it the other way. :unamused:

19. Jake

Jake Active Member

welcome to my life. i LOVE my subaru's more than any other vehicle ive ever owned (and i've owned 9), but i simply can't afford the upkeep at this financial stage in my life. they are financial boons, thats for sure

20. Scotty B

Scotty B Member

i think i see where you're coming from on alot of levels. been there myself lately on a number of things. some questions:

what was your original intent of the suby and what will be that of the genesis? sounds like you wanted a rugged wagonmobile to haul stuff? how will your new car fit your needs? tell us what you're looking for in the next car - use, expectation, or just need something new?

is there anything that particularly needs attention on your car or is seriously broken right now? if you can afford a new car you may be able to take care of your mechanical problems without issue. also, you're suby isn't worth much used, at it's milage. maybe just keep it as a beater and get a toy on the side. drive the toy on weekends or when the beater is down for maintenance, otherwise just let the old wagon take the rough daily treatment.

personally i'm the opposite...i'll never buy a new car. i'm happy to buy a 1 or 2 year old car that's taken the greatest depreciation hit but still has some warranty left. buy it private from a knowledgable owner and enjoy no sales tax. bonus if some tasteful mods have already been taken care of. however, in this economy you're going to get a better deal than ever on a new car, that's for sure. it seems like your used car experience has made you gunshy of doing it again? that would be understandable.

as for the community - i agree we are lucky to have the WRXatlanta crew, its the best group of "car guys" i've met over 3 different brands these past years. what are you tired about regarding the overall community? for me, i'm also not happy about where subaru is headed but i don't really care since i'm not buying a new car from them and i'm not super loyal to the brand.

21. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

The wagon was great for when I was constantly hauling a lot of people and stuff as a touring and working musician, but as that's calmed down (for now), the Gen Coupe would whet my appetite for a faster and more performance-oriented car than my wagon. The GC also has about as much trunk space as my wagon - it's a big car with a pretty fantastic rear folding seat.

My current car was my first - and last - used car. It's just been too many headaches. If they were my own headaches, I'd have a different attitude - but two years into owning this vehicle and I'm still fixing other peoples' fuckups.

However, you raise an interesting point about the Wagon. I can get almost nothing for it unless I sell it to an enthusiast, and even then the odds of me getting any cash for it are slim to none. Maybe I can give it to my brother, who loves it quite a bit and needs a first car.

Overall community? A quick visit to Nasioc will take care of answering that. :unamused:

22. Scotty B

Scotty B Member

if your needs have changed i can certainly see why you would want out of the wagon. it sounds like you may have a really good idea going with giving it to your brother. i'm sure he'd appreciate it, you'd get to keep it in the family, and if anything goes bunk on it you would probably know how to help him replace it since it would be the 2nd or 3rd time :rofl:

i can understand the headache aspect. there is more to life than wrenching on cars. hard to beat hyundai's warranty too. but at 200k miles i'm not surprised what you've had to go through, although that doesn't make it any easier to deal with.

NASIOC sucks. you're not the only one that thinks that. there is an assload of tech knowledge there if you know how to weed out the BS, but there are lots of idiots, sarcasm, cynicism, overused 4chan memes and putting people down. however, i don't feel that any subaru enthusiast i've met in real life yet has fit the mold of the type of person on that forum. maybe you've found different. i stick to wrxatlanta, IWSTI, and some general-motorsports forums to get my car-talk fix while still feeling like i'm talking to real, decent humans.

sounds to me like you know what you want though. if you have a chance to keep enjoying cars and it fits your situation in life, then go for it!

23. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

just wait till you have your new car and the warrenty runs out and your making payments on it and having to pay for repairs also. its likely going to be more than fixing the car you have.

24. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

Warranty would run out after I was finished paying for it.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

It's not over yet, though.

And you're sure as hell not getting rid of me here :)

25. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

it's just the idiots that bother me - I'm all for the rest of that stuff, usually :eek:

26. Jake

Jake Active Member

sell it and buy mine

27. Scotty B

Scotty B Member

idiots are everywhere, unfortunately. any big community eventually becomes overrun by them, especially as the car prices fall. :coolugh:

and don't get me wrong. i love me some internet funnays but sometimes things go on too far.

28. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

:unamused:

29. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

damn...

30. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

I put that one up just for you :naughty:

31. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

well, car isn't as broken as I thought she was. Just may need a Throwout Bearing soon.
    Still considering a sale, though :\

32. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

Been a good run, but thanks to the genius automotive work mentioned in my "Latest Spin" thread, she's more or less dead.
    Either/or bent valve(s) or cracked piston ringland(s).

33. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Did you not take right over to AllPro after everybody told you to, or did you continue to drive it?

34. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Buy a beater and build it.

35. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

yea, I'm thinking about posting mine for sale for this reason once its out of the shop. Of course I say this after not driving it for a week, I'm sure once I drive it I'll change my mind until the next problem shows up next week

36. b reel

b reel Active Member

I'll give you $2.00 for it as it sits, Dana I'll give you only a dollar for yours

37. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Yeah I drove my GF's 140hp Suzuki (car that is) for half a day, nothing like contrast to resell you!

38. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

Negative. That was AllPro's diagnosis. He said he couldn't tell without actually pulling the engine, but he tried everything else.
    I didn't even drive it to AllPro - had it towed over.

39. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

Alright kids, the hopeful plan is a WRX swap with an 04 dash. I'll finish building my STi motor later.
    Either that or total the car out and sell it.

40. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

Ladies and Gentlemen, the polls are in.
    With the help of Brandon at AllPro, and maybe whoever else wants to help, I'm swapping in a Stage 2 WRX motor with 50k on it and a 2004 RS dash.

Stay tuned for more fun things. :)

41. kingwrex

cool deal, glad you and ALLPRO could get something figured out!!!

42. Jake

Jake Active Member

lol, the mythbusters drove a car exactly like yours off a cliff the last episode

43. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

44. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

Me too, thanks! Saw your car over there, too - what's he doing to yours?

Can't blame them :unamused:

45. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

What about the genesis coupe you put down on?

46. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

had to go get it back and let them sell it to someone else, since a good portion of the money was coming from the sale of this car, and I couldn't sell it engine-less.

47. kingwrex

he was just keeping the car for me while i was on my honeymoon and parking it in the shop at nights.

48. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

that was an outback, not outback sport.

49. Jake

Jake Active Member

same difference :|

50. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

Mine has teh sp0rtiness!