After many years of waiting...

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by C_wagginz, Feb 13, 2010.

1. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

Hello WRXATL!

I have finally gotten myself a Subaru. I first saw the impreza WRX STI somewhere around 2003, and fell in love with the car. I've counted my pennies, drooled over few ads, test drove a couple, and finally found a car I could call my own.

I bought an 04 WRX Wagon from K. Marx last weekend. We traded +cash for my 96 Camry. The car just rolled over 91k the other day. Below you will find the list of mods that have been done on the car. The turbo, bigger injectors, and ProTune have all been done in the last 10k miles. The rest have been done within the past 18k.

I have some plans for the car...but not too many engine mods for right now. While I would love to top 350hp AND tq, I don't want to spring for any replacement transmission parts ATM. Thus my focus will be mostly on getting the car to handle the way I want (as you will see below suspension is stock), and look the way I want (tint, tweaks, etc.).

From the original For Sale thread...
    I will be upgrading the stereo system next weekend. I've already got an Alpine Headunit, and some Polk speakers are on the way in. I would've had them yesterday, but stupid UPS didn't deliver due to "adverse conditions". I have 2 10" Alpine subs and an amp that I have to find a place for...I'm thinking either a custom box underneath/in the front seats/rear floorboards, or getting rid of the spare, dynomatting the cavity and putting a custom enclosure in there. Any suggestions are welcome with this.

Once the brakes start to go...or whenever I feel like doing it, I'll probably upgrade to at least better rotors. Not sure if I'll go with a full big brake kit as of yet.

For suspension, the first order of business will be a rear strut bar. Thanks wagunz_pwn for showing me the whiteline quick disconnect bar...I'll most likely get one of those. After that, I'll invest in a front (26mm adj) and rear (22mm adj) sway bar(s). Then it'll be time to look into struts, springs, or coilovers...but that's a ways away.

However, first thing on the order of agenda (besides the stereo stuffs) is tint. I hope to have that done in the next couple weeks...

EDIT 08/23/10:

Figured it's about time for an update...

So far I have, in no particular order...

tinted the windows 35/20
    painted headlight shroud
    goixiz hood dampners
    goixiz clutch stop
    new DBA drilled/slotted rotors
    SS brake lines
    installed Alpine headunit and wired in Polk speakers
    Whiteline rear strut tower brace
    JPM Coachworks shift boot and center console cover
    ACT HD clutch
    SS Clutch line
    Hella Horns

Edit 10/10/11:

Been awhile since updating this, but there have been some more upgrades in the past year. In addition to the above the car now has:

Epic Engineering Springs
    TIC Fender Braces
    Kartboy Rear Sub-Frame lock bolts
    H6 rear brake upgrade (thanks wagunz_pwn)
    Whiteline KSR202 steering rack bushings
    Kartboy Rear Diff Outrigger Bushings
    Perrin Master Cylinder Brace (thanks nicad)
    Perrin Radiator Shroud (thanks nicad)
    Polk PA660 4-Channel Amp (thanks upsidedowndesi)
    KnuKnoceptz 1ga wiring kit
    Rear Diff protector (thanks rs2convert)
    ProSport Blue/White Boost Gauge
    ProSport Blue/White F/R
    ProSport Blue LED Clock
    2x AllPro Subaru stickers
    [strike]Rota Torque Gunmetal (thanks supastar84)[/strike]

There's still a "to-do" list for the car, and as money comes in I'll be finishing off the suspension, and looking into upgrading the drivetrain.

Edit 6/23/12:

I seem to be not so good at keeping this up-to-date, but here's the list of what's happened since October:
    Optima YellowTop D35
    Mishimoto Radiator (thanks mn4a15)
    Mishimoto blue hoses
    Alignment update (thanks AllPro)
    New Valve cover gaskets (thanks AllPro)
    New timing belt idler/tensioner (thanks AllPro)
    SPT X-brace (thanks oneiguy)
    [strike]Bridgestone Potenza RE760 235/45/17[/strike]

Edit 7/28/14
    I've installed and changed up a few other things since the last edit...
    KYB Excel-G Struts
    Rota SDR Steel Grey 17x7.5 (thanks ATLWill)
    Bridgestone Potenza RE760 225/45/17
    Group N Transmission Mount
    TiC Crossmember bushings
    Cobb 25mm FSB w/ endlinks (thanks oneiguy)
    Whiteline RCA kit
    Moog Inner Tie Rods
    Alignment update (thanks AllPro)
    Kartboy rear stay bushing
    Energy Suspension front stay bushing
    Kartboy short shifter
    TiC Shifter Bushings
    GrimmSpeed TMIC w/ Black Thermal Coating
    GrimmSpeed TMIC Hose Kit (blue)
    2x TopSpeed Stickers (blue)
    2x GrimmSpeed Stickers
    2x Epic Engineering Stickers

Still pending install: ProSport EGT, Kartboy rear diff mount bushings, TiC trailing arm bushings, ported intake, TiC TGV delete/risers, Perrin V2 fuel rails, Tomei FPR, TiC Shift linkage, and forge BPV

[​IMG]

Edit 10/15/14

Car is at AllPro...catastrophic knocking on the engine. Currently pending Brandon's investigation of my spare 2.5 to determine it's worthiness for installation. At least at this point the majority of my pending part list will be installed.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

welcome to the community!

3. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

Thanks!! Glad to be here!

4. Raziel1

Raziel1 Member

I feel ur excitement welcome to the club..nice pics

5. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

Thanks!! I LOVE my Nikon DSLR ;)

6. longfury

longfury Active Member

Wagons FTW!!!

BTW, I miss my 04 WRX sedan nearly every time I drive my STI.

7. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Wirelessly posted

You miss the wrx while in your sti?

Congratulations on the subie!

8. b reel

b reel Active Member

Congrats on the purchase

9. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

nice...I love wagons:)

10. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

welcome.

pics of the girlfriend

11. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

now all you need to do...is get her to swap wheels.

12. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

truf.

welcome.

13. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

Working on that...she's oddly attached to them though...we'll see. Might end up painting the SPT's black first. ;)

14. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

click link...look at pics...

15. techlord

techlord Active Member

welcome to the site, I need a wagon I like them more every day.

16. Welcome! My hubs and I both have 04 WRX's. Have some similar pics! It's great! Were you driving on Mansell Rd earlier today? If so, we passed you going the opposite direction.

17. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

Where's Mansell Rd? I wasn't there, all I've been on today is Cumberland Pkwy, S. Cobb, and King Springs...

Honestly, I saw the nose to nose pic in an avatar, and that was my inspiration...

I thought it would be cool with the "sister" Saab car...even though its a couple years newer..

18. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

I didn't use to...until Sarah got the 92x. Then it just started growing on me. One night, I was out walking our dog and I saw her car in the parking lot, and thought "Damn that's sexy! I might just have to get me one."

</End of story>

19. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

if I found her....you can too

20. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

nice congratz..now just remove the roof rails and paint the side skirts.

21. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

Welcome from another STI/92x owner!

22. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

Welcome to the club, always nice to see another wagon!!

23. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

too lazy. but I'll work on it

edit: ah there we go

24. It's in Alpharetta off 400..must have been someone else with a 04/05 WRB WRX wagon.

Wagunz_pwn took that pic for us.

We refer to our garage as the "Subie Love Den" :rofl:

25. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

I thought he took it, but wasn't 100% sure.

26. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

To those interested, here is the Dyno printout from the original tune by S. Siegel...

[​IMG]

27. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

Well, I just ordered my first mod for the car.

Whiteline Quick Release Rear Strut Bar

I'm beginning to research and source parts for suspension upgrades for later this year (summer?).

I will also be installing part of my sound system tomorrow.

28. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I should have gotten a wagon, if I had, I might still have a subbie...congrats...

29. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Seeing the good old wagon again makes me want it back. Seriously.

It's nice to see that you're getting some suspension work done... that was something I always wanted to do, but just never quite got the time.

Those Rotas would look nice on there, but be aware that the SPTs are lighter. Not a fan of the Z06 grey, eh? ;)

I bet it's going to look awesome by the time you are done.

30. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

Oh I like them...just want to see what it'd look like with the Rota's. Plus Sarah isn't liking her gas mileage, and I feel it's mostly due to the Rota's. So since the SPTs are lighter, we're gonna give it a test.

31. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

Finished swapping the rims about an hour ago...will post a pic or so tomorrow once it's light again.

32. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

FYI

<crappy cell pic>

[​IMG]

</end crappy cell pic>

33. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

Been a while since an update, so here's a short one.

I've debadged, painted the headlights, gone back to my "orig" rims. Today I upgraded my front rotors to DBA drilled/slotted, put on SS lines, and flushed with SuperBlue.

I'll update this thread tomorrow morning most likely with some fresh pics. :eek3:

34. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Fun stuff. I look forward to seeing the pictures.

35. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

Well, I'm 5 days late, but here are the pics...

You can find more details on the painted headlights here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Debadged:

[​IMG]

Rotors (might see some of the SS lines too):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Painted Headlights and Grille wire removal:

[​IMG]

And for the picture curious here are the album links:

Post Rotor Install

Final Painted Headlights

Post Debadge/Wash/Wax

Enjoy!!!

Comments, Questions, Suggestions, Criticism welcome...

...oh and would it be possible for a mod to move this to member's journal for me? This way I won't have to create another duplicate thread ;)

36. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

In the next few "days" (assuming I get this thread moved to the journal section) I'll update the OP with I've done, and future plans...

37. Alex

Looks great. DBA5000's w/ gold hats?

38. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

They are actually just the DBA Gold street series. I was really looking for some 4000's but found an incredible deal on these and decided they would be a good investment.

39. Alex

Ah, I see.

40. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

Just a suggestion - you should paint your calipers / brackets. Those rotors are too pretty for those old rusty calipers! I painted mine black.

41. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

Painting the calipers is on the todo list for the saabaru and my WRX. I am debating color. I may try to match them to the rotors....otherwise I'll do bthem in black.

42. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

I don't think I have ever heard anyone speak of rotors as an investment! Just out of curosity, how much are those. They would look nice with my gold BBS / black calipers.

43. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

:shrugs:

I got them from a guy on Nasioc. They were NIB for about $50 less than retail...170 shipped. He apparently keeps some of these around and sells them. Check out the FS braking section over there and you may find some...

44. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

naijc kar

45. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

I just got home from ALLPro. I was having some clutch troubles (whining, whirring, and other such noises...not to mention a near inability to shift when the car was bone cold) and took it to Brandon to have the clutch replaced. I went with an ACT SB3-HDSS.

So far the difference over my worn out OEM is AMAZING!!!! I know I'm going to like it. I also had him change the clutch line out with an SS one.

Now time to horde cash for the next big upgrade...in the meantime I think it's time to paint my calipers...

I also just did a brief update to the OP.

46. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

My, the old wagon is looking good.

Bored on a Saturday and a few beers have me waxing nostalgic about what I once had. I still haven't bought a car for "me," although I used some of the cash from the sell to buy a well kept 850R Volvo for the wife.

Are you by chance going to be going to Road Atlanta for the Petite? If so, or if you happen to be back in my area, I've got something you might want... another remote key fob. I found it while cleaning up the other day. Thought about selling it, but I since I'm not sure it works, I didn't want take a chance on giving someone a bum item. I figure you'd rather have it anyway if you need an extra.

47. Popsmear

Popsmear Member

I can pick it up for em.

48. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

You're the guy in my hood with the white STi who works with him, right?

C'mon by! I'll be around.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  49. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

Yes he is. Otherwise we're planning on going to the Le Mans...

50. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Either option is fine with me, as I will be there. Obviously my last post was in need of some, um, sobriety and proofreading.