Air Compressor

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ihavefat, Oct 14, 2014.

1. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

Hey guys, my birthday is coming up and I may be looking to pick up an air compressor (well it was either this or torque wrench or 1-2 day rental of 2011-2014 5.0 mustang gt for old times sake lol from girlfriend).

The purpose will be impact tools/buffing/sand blasting mostly. Portability is not really necessary..I am sure it will be somewhat pricey brand new so probably go with used. Honestly it's not like I would use it everyday but mostly weekend projects/etc/etc

What kind/size do you guys recommend? I don't know a thing about air compressors and I know most of you guys have worked in shops and what not.

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

3. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200455339_200455339

This is the one I have been using for a few years. This company makes the compressor sold under the IR, Dewalt, Snap On, Northstar brand names. Just different color. The Northstar brand name seems to be the cheapest now out of the group. Plus if you wait, Northern gives out coupons for $20-$50 off.

4. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

those two look awesome..just a little out of my price range. I kind of like the portability of the Northern one even though I said it wasn't really necessary Lol

5. techlord

techlord Active Member

to buff or sandblast you will need decent capacity or that sucker will run nonstop.

I had a 40gal and it couldn't run a cutting tool for more than 30 seconds.

6. orndog

orndog Member

7. ihavefat

ihavefat Member

Oo gotcha. Hmm..
    Can you run pressure washer using the compressor?

8. integroid

Not that I have ever seen. That would require a water pump....not an air pump/compressor.

9. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

10. integroid

Wow, never seen that before but what a pain in the a** to run an air hose and water hose. Also, I dont know how well it will work with only 100psi of pressure. I know my cheap electric pressure washer I use to wash my car runs at 2000psi....It does fine for washing the car but not so well for much else. My gas powered one runs at 4000psi and can strip the paint off of your house.

11. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Didn't say it was the best solution just that you can use it. I love my 5200 psi pressure washer.

12. nuyorican718

nuyorican718 Member

I have two 80 gallon IR compressors. Thats the lowest size id recommend to anyone especially with autobody.

13. b reel

b reel Active Member

I got spoiled by an Eaton twin-screw with dryer unit, if looking to run a decent blast cabinet or sand-blast you'll need about 8CFM at 125PSI. If you go cheaper than that at least buy a foot pedal and plush adjustable bar-stool, you'll be there for awhile.