Alex's 2004.5 STi! -- 12/15: S204 Performance Damper Ordered! :p

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Alex, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I thought it was a given at this point in our experiences with the subies.

Blaster knows that what makes a Subaru a Subaru is used tranny oil in your hair.

2. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

I tasted that nasty shit haha

3. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

WD-40 on bolts? fail.

[​IMG]

4. Alex

For an "upholstery" shop -- I was surprised we even had WD :rofl:

Either that or "SEW LUBE".

5. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Those DBA rotors are nice. I had a pretty good relationship with the US distributor for DBA about 10 years ago. Very nice guys and really knew their stuff.

6. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

True, true, but that's how it keeps its shine.

The list of things that make a Subaru a Subaru keeps getting longer with each project, but I love it.

7. Alex

Subie Love :eek:

8. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

Is that face there because you have to blow your car to get it to do what you want?

9. Alex

That is my "ooooh face".

10. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

Those rotors look familiar. Nice choice

11. Alex

Dear Journal,

I apologize for the lack of updates but I do have some good news. I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance. Don't worry, photos will come this weekend.

Got some new goodies in, just need the time to install :)

"Waiting to be Installed"
    • JDM Fogs (Thanks CoolRex) :wiggle:
    • GFB Short Shifter (Thanks Doug)
    • KB/TIC Bushings (Thanks Clint/Tony @ TIC)
      • KB 6MT Front Stay
      • KB Rear Stay
      • Shift Linkage
      • Tranny Crossmember (Pinkies)
    • Audio 2.0, New wiring, amps, etc. (http://alex.wrxatlanta.com/sti/audio/knu-box.jpg)
      • AVIC D3 Nav. Head Unit (Thanks CoolRex)
      • 2x mKs Silver Plated 5M RCA Cable
      • Distro Block
      • 20ft. 4awg power wire (Kolossus Fleks Kable)
      • 10ft. 8awg power wire (Kolossus Fleks Kable)
      • 10ft. 8awg ground wire (Kolossus Fleks Kable)
      • 100ft 16awg speaker wire (Karma SS)
      • Remove rear Infinity speakers
      • Swapped out speaker amps, JBL (80x4) with Alpine MRV-T420 (110x2)
      • Build new amp rack for trunk with sound deadening to boot
    • Beatrush Undertray / underpanel (aluminum replacement for the OEM plastic) (Thanks slowwrx)

"What's On Order"
    • Alcantara
    • Carpet for trunk & amp rack
    • New front component setups
    • IA Performance 6.5" front speaker adapters
    • New WRB JDM Fog surrounds

Other New Additions
    99 Yamaha YZ125

Updated post #3

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2010
  12. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

nice, post pictures of that beatrush undertray when you get it installed!

13. Alex

You know that it is a work of art dont cha? Hugs the subframe like it belongs there! I cannot wait to install this stuff and free up space in my garage for the new lawnmower :rofl:

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

So you couldn't salvage the surrounds?

15. Alex

Nah dude, the price just didnt make it justifiable. I am also still waiting to figure out what to do about the bracket. I havent even had time to take off my bumper to cut the beam and test fit these yet. Maybe when I get back from the event in MD early May.

16. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Sorry the surrounds didn't work out. Least that was the 'cheap' part. On the bracket which part? The piece that broke or the big metal one? The metal one simply slides onto the back of the bumper....you will see what I mean when you take the stock bumper off.

17. Alex

Small Updates:
    - Still shopping for sound deadening
    - Still have yet to order the DLS UP6i's
    - The fog surrounds are not here yet and as a result the fogs are not installed
    - Gloss Black roof overlay is on its way from J's Graphics (NASIOC)
    - Norway Euro Plate Installed! I found the plate at Licenseplates.tv and was amazed that they actually carried one from Norway. It has taken me quite sometime to find a Norway plate, not sure why so few vendors carry them. I am having the windshield replaced next week and the plate will replace the windshield banner that I have ran for several years. I was tired of the banner and thought the plate would be a great opportunity to change it up a bit while still having the Club name up front :)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2010
  18. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

Look into Lizard Skin for sound deadening. You actually spray the stuff on with an air gun.

19. Alex

Was thinking Second Skin. We've worked with it in the past on customer vehicles. A couple people here have used edead and been quite happy.

20. FACE

FACE Active Member

Love the front plate Alex!

And Matt I want one of the skid plates please :)

21. Alex

Speakers are here!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2010
  22. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

now those are sexay!

23. Alex

Yep, 18-20 hour break in :sigh:

24. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Break in, wow. Never heard of breaking in a stereo...crazy stuff!

25. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

^^ for real... what does the break-in process consist of for speakers?

They look like a set of MBQuarts I had 10 years ago.

26. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

all speakers require some time to break in. Alex, my DLS speakers took about two weeks before they broke in. They sounded almost harsh the first two weeks. I wondered if I had made a mistake at first:)

27. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

Neil Young was at the Fox Saturday Night; having experienced that, I would suggest massive amounts of his work, in particular, the massive feedback genre for the break-in

28. Alex

Just found a couple Niel Young vinyls actually. Cannot wait to give them a listen :)

My first song on these was Armstrong. Gotta love the sweet trumpet!

Right now I am considering moving towards a single amplifier, just not sure what kind of power I want for the sub. It receives its mono 300w at the moment. If I move to 1 amp, I will more than likely have to sacrifice some power to it. The trunk is a giant mess. My proposed amp rack / sound deadening board is failing due to lack of space. I am open to suggestions. I need to get the rack back in a solid spot and build a new floor for the trunk so I may actually use it again.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2010
  29. integroid

You dont have a thing above your spare tire where you could do something like this?

[​IMG]

30. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

No he doesn't Integroid. Alex build a rack that will bolt to the back of the back seat? PM Ben@SargentPower. I'm sure he could offer EXCELLENT options yet still give you your trunk floor.

31. Alex

This rack will bolt to the back seat. My concern is that it doesnt look great, even carpeted, nothing matches and it is disorganized as hell :)

Ben and I have been chatting back and forth about a better setup for the sub that will sit like the Audio Integration ones.

32. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Well for starters (I know you are still working on it) those wires all need to go inside the board so that they are hidden from view. Then wrap the board and all the other stuff in the trunk with Alcantara!

33. Alex

Yep. They're only visible so I can see what the heck is going on. I also decided to mount the tweeters in the A Pillars. Good thing I have 6 sets of the pillars :|

34. Alex

Found this idea on NASIOC. I really like this. Just needs a couple small CPU fans wired up for heat control.
    [​IMG]

35. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

That's a rats nest of wiring....LOL.

Would the CPU fans be noisy inside the car?

36. integroid

Every install has a rats nest somewhere:) Most of the good installs the rats nest is hidden from view.

37. Alex

This is true, I would prefer to keep mine buried beneath the rear seat bottom :)

38. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Haha mine had it as well.....just ask Kokopelli :)

39. Alex

A quick update for what I'll attempt to do tomorrow :)

- Mounting new DLS silk dome tweeters into A pillars
    - Work on amp rack in trunk...some more
    - Authentic v-limited lip (thanks Blindfold)
    - Beatrush aluminum undertray
    - Oil change (Rotella 5w40)

I am also considering picking up a healthy amount of TechFlex to cover all of the exposed wiring for whenever the amp rack is completed. Need to dig up some carpet for the temporary rack as well. I have been looking at tons of different installs of amps in the trunk. I came across a gentlemen who mounted his amp rack to the underside of the rear deck (in trunk). I thought it was a nifty idea and it keeps all the money away from the cargo. Thoughts?

40. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

Should'nt be hard to do...cardboard template of rear deck.

Mdf the template and fasten it somehow. The only thing to be concerned about is the cooling of the amps as mounting them inverted makes the cooling of them alittle more challenging.

41. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

I don't remember who exactly, but I've worked on someone's car who had their amps/x-overs mounted on a board that was mounted underneath the rear deck. It had some hinges on it so that when the amps needed to be adjusted, they just undid a lock
    and the whole setup rotated down. I believe they used some simple door hinges.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  42. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

Re: Alex's 2004.5 STi! -- 06/01: New DLS Speakers are In!

That's a clever idea

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

43. integroid

Put them in the kick panels. you will regret putting them in the A-Pillars as your staging will be dominate to the side you are sitting at. I could get my stage perfect without any time alignment with the tweeters in the kick panels. Aim them to your dome light.

44. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

Not all installs have rats nests or even hidden ones ;p LOL. Mounting the amps upside down is almost always a bad idea.

Very nice choice of equipment Alex. Integroid is right, it would be best to place any speaker as far away from the listener in the car as possible if you are truly concerned with proper staging. A correctly setup system properly aligned, ( time alignment is a great tool for this) you should be able to close your eyes and not be able to pinpoint the locations of the speakers.

45. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

Holy double post lol

46. Alex

Wirelessly posted

Got it. Ill need a hole saw regardless, but ill try the kick panels today :) I think this placement will work. The tweeters sounded great when I first tested them in that area but now that they're starting to break in they are becoming bright.

I'd love to build a faux floor and do a hinged setup like you Eddie. Still debating the move towards a single amp to handle both the sub and the components though. Not sure what's best to look at power wise though. Maybe a 600w 4 channel at 150 per channel? Bridge the rear channels for the sub? I might not even need 300w to it. I don't listen to rap or hiphop so huge basehits do not really exist for me. The closest thing I'll listen to is electronica or trip-hop like Portishead, Massive Attack, Thievery Corporation or something a little harder like Glitch Mob, Free the Robots, Pretty Lights, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2010
  47. Alex

Just came across this, could be a "different" way to install my single 10 IDQ. Without looking at the rear deck right now I would imagine a massive amount of cutting is required for this to work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2010
  48. integroid

49. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

I am going to be up against the same issues in mine with the exception that I will have 2 amps, a cap, and quite possibly some sort of enclosure for fuel pump.

50. Alex

Wirelessly posted

Already spoke with him about it last week. Ill more than likely go that route simply because of how clean it looks overall ;)