Alex's Lightning Red 2008 STi

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Alex, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I'll leave the introduction out of this thread altogether. You can catch up on my old journal here, http://wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5600.

It took a good bit of consideration to actually decide to make the changeover from the 2004 (GD) STi to the 2008 (GR) STi. I always enjoyed the 2004 STI and I really hope that her replacement can deliver the same fun-factor and overall reliability that I've come to expect from Subaru. Also, I'll try and post my thoughts in a post below later today discussing what I feel the differences between to two are, personally. I will do my best not to beat the proverbial dead horse as well.

I had planned to take a few proper photos this weekend so that I could start this journal the right way. Unfortunately, this didn't happen. The car is damn near 100% stock and I am still deciding what direction I want to take it. I'll include a proposed list in post #2 whenever I figure this out. So, without further ado...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Factory "Options"
    1. All Weather Mats
    2. All Weather Cargo Tray
    3. Rear Cargo Net
    4. Rear Bumper Protector
    5. STI Specific Car Cover
    6. STI Titanium Ball Shift Knob
    7. Premium Sound Package (Whatever That Means) w/ Ipod & Aux

Current Modifications
    Engine, Power & Performance
    Stock...for the time being. I'm still seeing what my options are :wiggle:

Suspension & other grip-happy parts
    Stock and uncertain of what I want...again.

Interior
    1. Prova "D" Shape 358mm STI Steering Wheel
    2. Genuine Alcantara Shift and Brake Boot in "Steel Grey" (9052) w/ Pewter Silver Stitch by JPM Coachworks
    3. Genuine Alcantara Clusterhood, "Steel Grey" (9052) w/ Lightning Red Stitch by JPM Coachworks
    4. Current Shift Knob: 2" Titan Sphere by Chris @ WC Lathe Werks
    5. JPM Coachworks Lumbar Plus! Lumbar Support Kit

Audio
    Stock.

Exterior
    1. RallyArmor UR v2 Mudflaps, Black w/ Red RA Logo -- Installed with their brackets
    2. VG "Shark Fin" Antenna for 5 Door Impreza Hatch, Paint Matched to Lightning Red

Wheels
    Stock lead weights.

Went from this...
    [​IMG]

To this! :D
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2011
  2. Alex

Coming Soon / On Order / Not Yet Installed
    • DLS Reference RA30 Amplifier
    • Hertz 3-way System (HSK-163)
    • A Pillars with Molded DLS Tweeters Courtesy of Ryan @ Slade Audio, wrapped in Genuine Alcantara "Steel Grey" (9052) by JPM Coachworks
    • Cobb AP2
    • Prova "Black" SI Drive Button Cover

Wishlist
    Engine, Power & Performance
    1. Cobb AP
    2. Catted DP
    3. Catback Exhaust

Suspension & Other Grip-Happy Parts
    1. Whiteline Front & Rear Sway
    2. Kartboy Front & Rear Endlinks
    3. Cusco Rear Lateral Links (for Rear Camber)

Interior
    1. This list would be huge if I bothered to fill it out! :)

Audio
    Wiring for an install as well as time to install said wiring.

Exterior

Wheels
    1. OEM BBS Silver
    2. Prodrive GC-10

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2011
  3. Alex

Reserved :wiggle:

4. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I am waiting for some scrumptious 10th street JDM goodies. Need to get more on my car. Your style and taste in mods is second to none.

5. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Nice Alex! So what happened to the 04? Is this your father's old car?

6. Alex

It is. I bought it from him with 670 miles on the odometer...all of which I put I on the car myself :wiggle: Simply put, the price point was just too good to turn down. I'd love to hang on to the 2004 and convert it to more Rally-X mode...but it just isn't worth it yet. That car still has life left in it and I think someone new could still get a lot of enjoyable seat time out of her. Ultimately, I've owned the 2004 for a long time (Sept '03) and put over 110,000 miles on it. The car's always been well maintained and has never once given me an issue. Nonetheless, I just feel that it's time for a change. I think a lot of you who are older members or who have owned your cars for extended periods of time would agree with me on this one. The change is a bit bittersweet but I am excited to see where this path goes.

The 2004 is sitting in the garage on jack stands. Expect a part out thread tonight! Unfortunately, almost nothing fits from GD to GR :(

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2011
  7. jesus888

jesus888 Member

Talk to me... may know someone that may be interested in your GD...

8. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Looking forward to what you have in store for this car.

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

Thought your girl was going to get the car?

10. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

:hsugh:

11. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats on the change, really curious on what you've got in store for the car. Also, I'll admit a little more curious what parts might come off of the GD :p

12. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Cool Alex, congrats on the purchase!

13. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

670 miles? That's awesome. Can't wait to see what ya do to it.

14. Alex

Didn't have a chance to upload the list, sorry. I'm still returning emails :| I'll try and work on the list tomorrow.

15. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Can't take credit for saying this but how can she drive the car when it doesn't fit in the kitchen?

16. Alex

Lol, I don't think she had that problem. She is fairly small. But no, I decided that I would not be keeping the 2004 which trumped any other previous thought on where that car would be going.

17. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I presume that parting it out and selling will probably pay off a huge portion if not all of the new car.

18. Alex

First oil change last weekend -- went with Rotella as that's what I had on the shelf. Also sending the stock dyno oil off to Blackstone for an UOA and to set a baseline for future UOAs. In addition, I am going to try my hardest to actually keep a log of all maintenance and modifications (with actual dates and mileage). That's something I wish I had been a bit more organized with on the 2004.

[​IMG]

19. Alex

I'm a fan of that single, cash payment ;)

20. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Trying my hardest to keep up with this. I have every receipt so far for every part/fluid/anything I've bought for the car. I need to organize it though. So far it is just a pile of receipts with mileage written directly on them lol...

21. Matt

you should buy ol' blue

22. Matt

:dirty:

23. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Fixed for ya.

24. Matt

he doesn't need to do those though...he's already done them.
    :cool:

25. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Hahah. Hilarious.

26. Alex

:) I'm already tired of the wheel that's in the car :rofl: I'm trying to squeeze a new cluster hood into the day so that it's done before I get to the meet tonight! And yes, I'm about to order two new shift knobs :wiggle:

27. FACE

FACE Active Member

Congrats Alex I know you will be very pleased...it is bitter sweet though. Let me know if you ever plan in painting your tails!

28. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

I WOULD love to own another 04 sti :)

29. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

So. Let me get this straight. It's an 08 STI? But it only has ~600 on the odometer? So confused.

30. superdoughboy4

His dad never drove it.

31. Alex

Yep, just a low mileage 2008.

And for anyone interested in the 2004, I will post additional information once she's parted out, returned to stock and fully detailed/cleaned. I would much rather prefer to keep that car in the community :hug:

32. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

Interesting, so the 04 is going back to stock. Meaning your and TBE, and sways may go for sale? :)

33. Alex

Bingo...except I sold the TBE to my good friend blaster this past weekend. You may now find that Cobb full 3" + flex joint sexyness on his Planet Express wagon. PM me if you're serious on the sways.

34. Alex

Updated post #2. Ordered an OEM 6MT knob and an ARC titanium sphere tonight. I've always wanted the ARC and I'm curious to see how it compares to its JDM cousin, the ASPEC.

35. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

If you're using an android phone I'd suggest the app ACAR.
    [​IMG]
    as it allows you to track all maintenance, trips, and fillups with associated cost and mileage. It's got customizable alerts and service items. I really like it. I've been using it since I found it last year. I track all of my records for the wagon with it.

36. Alex

Awesome, I'll download it right now! Thanks :)

37. b reel

b reel Active Member

damit yet another reason to get a tablet, damn you technobastards!

38. Alex

So I am torn over which mudflaps to get from Rally Armor. They offer the subtle black flaps with red logo or the considerably louder red flaps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What cha thinkin' ?

39. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Like I told ya. Black with red lettering. Clean and subtle like you like it. The red flaps is just too loud and screams attention.

40. superdoughboy4

What Cool said.

41. I agree Black and Red Lettering.

42. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

You ever get a chance to install that yamaha dampner, it do anything?

43. jesus888

jesus888 Member

Black with red letters, no question...

44. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

I like the red but I like my stuff loud....LOL

45. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

Do they make them in lime green? No? Then black with red.

46. b reel

b reel Active Member

periwinkle place mats from ikea

47. superdoughboy4

Roffle

48. Alex

No, but its not entirely over. I am thinking that I will put it on once I put my suspension completely back to stock...that should give me a fairly clear indication of the efficacy of the part :)

49. Alex

Having a tough time with how much badging I want to remove from the rear deck. Currently my badge ensemble includes (1) "Classic Cadillac", (2) Subaru Oval Badge, (3) "Subaru" lettering, (4) "STI" lettering and (5) "IMPREZA" lettering. I'll be detailing the car this weekend so this will be a perfect time for the de-badging.

I also came across this AB post today, http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/07/subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-r205-continues-the-tradition-still-not-c/, and I'm debating picking up a pair of the R205 fender badges, V-limited front lip, painting my rear spoiler gloss black, modifying the front grille to match and maybe tracking down the rear diffuser.

50. superdoughboy4

Do it. It'll look really good.
    Actually, even better, CF spoiler. LOL