Alex's Lightning Red 2008 STi

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Alex, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Crawford has one, it looks a bit too much like a backwards baseball cap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Yeaaaah. Try to go with the real one. Lol. It looks weird.

3. Alex

I really like the factory one...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Alex

And while Im on the topic of the R205, I've always wanted these. Pity they're so dang expensive from Japan -- 6 pot fronts, 4 pot rears :)

[​IMG]

5. superdoughboy4

Those brakes look super beefy.

Also, is the only thing different about the fender that black stripe?

6. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I may have a solution for this, Ill talk with you about it later. Maybe we can trade brakes for a interior.

7. Alex

Now that's the first time I've heard an offer like this :)

Peter, the dark chrome STI badge on the fender is what's known as the "R205 Badge".

8. superdoughboy4

Oooh. I thought it was just the angle giving it a darker look.'
    Do a whole R205 conversion. Do it. Do it. Do it.

9. Alex

You buying? FWIW, the R205 is the replacement for the S series (eg S202, 203, 204).

10. Alex

I really would love seat heaters now. I know what I've said before and I'm happy to put my foot in my mouth so long as my derriere is warm in the morning. The question is whether or not I can wire up the OEM switch.

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/pecafidutewa.html

11. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Is heated seats an option on the STi? I'm wanting to do something similar to the M3 but wire to my OEM switches.

12. Alex

Yes, but starting 2011 on the GR series...unless you got a limited edition (IIRC).

13. longfury

longfury Active Member

Heated seats are now standard on all 2011 STI's.

14. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

red rocket red rocket

15. Alex

Thanks for that image ;)

16. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

haha np hoss

17. Deke

Deke Active Member

Congrats Alex. Haha, it's hard to believe there are less than 1000 miles on that car. I remember you posting when your dad got it.

I didn't used to care far the new body style that much, but after seeing a few in person, they definitely grew on me. Looking forward to lurking around here and seeing all of the future progress :)

18. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

will you be retrofitting projectors in the GR?

19. superdoughboy4

I thought they already had projectors stock.

20. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

yea but they are nothing compared to s2k ap1 projectors

21. Alex

Falling behind on my updates already :|

I was unable to wash / detail the car this weekend. However, had I done so, I would have used some of this rockin' new Menzerna polish and P21s wax. I am loving what the Sonax wheel cleaner does for the Brembo dust. If this is a problem for you, I would check out DetailersDomain.com.

02/14: ARC and OEM knob are here. I'll do my best to snap a photo tonight. Love the added weight Subaru used with the new OEM knobs; hate the size of the ARC knob. It's built for a JDM-child's hand. Oh well, should look nice for the new product shots.

The jury is still out as to what to do for the trunk area a subwoofer enclosure. I should be meeting with Ryan of Slade Audio this week to get the a-pillar-mounted-tweeters aimed correctly for off-axis listening.

It is still growing on me :) But the GD -> GR transition is all about the small things, like hitting your damn forehead on the window trim every time you get into the car. I am still getting used to that! :rofl:

There's also the utility factor. Read as, you can do so much more with/in this car that is makes the GD sedan seem worthless beyond a straight line and the twisties.

Definitely! Not sure what route I want to take here. I have so much Xenon/HID parts throughout my shop and my garage that I want to get rid of. I will probably go AP1/AP2 S2000 again. It'll depend what I can find to use in my pile(s) of stuff.

Yes, and they're not half bad with an upgraded lens from LightWerkz or The Retrofit Source: http://www.lightwerkz.net/gallery/index.php/Subaru/album

Agreed and few things ever are or ever will be.

22. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

hows the sonax? do you use a scrub or just wash off after you apply it and let it sit
    i'm wondering if they'll do any damage to my wheels or lugs

23. Alex

Are your wheels made of some sort of special something?

I "agitate" the brake dust, post-sonax application, with a boars hair brush. The brush smells awful when it is wet, but it definitely helps even on the GD STi BBS. I love the color changing oooh-aaahhh effect that this has. It's an interaction of the chemicals of the Sonax product and the iron in your brake dust. This stuff sprays on green with an elderly minty smell and promptly turns into this deep blood red, resembling what I can only image your wheels would look like if you ran over the residents of an entire city.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/sonax-fulleffect-wheelcleaner.aspx

24. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

nothing special about my rotas lol, just bother by the idea of something powerful enough to take off dirt by a simple spray and rinse off. i've seen threads on nasioc about the color change/and the smell

25. superdoughboy4

I'm going to buy those... Just for the awesome effect.

26. Alex

If you're concerned, then mix up a separate wash bucket of soap, tar/bug remover and water. Suds it up and use a microfiber to clean your wheels. This is how I used to / still do it. You have to remember not to MIX this bucket with your actual wash bucket and always always always use a grit guard.

27. Alex

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy -- To become a knife thrower in the circus, they probably don't let you start off by throwing at the live woman. They start you off with the little girl.

I've been mulling over audio once again. I just was offered a stand up deal on a bnib set of DLS Iridium 6.3i 6.5" 3 way speakers. These could be an ideal upgrade over my DLS UP6is. I've also been reviewing sub enclosures for the hatch and the best I've come across thus far (versus going completely custom) is the Audio Integrations solution. Their solution seems like a dandy one for my 10" IDQv2. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

28. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Their sub boxes are very fitting and very space conservative. Also the box is built with the right dimensions in mind and they sound great. I think that is a great solution without killing your 'hatch' space.

29. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I would just get the above. It matches your interior and probably sounds great. I love my corner loaded sub.

30. slade1274

slade1274 Member

I had good luck with it... but I'm thinking you might want to hold off on my concept I spoke of over email to retain all the hatch utility. It's only a week or so out. ;)

31. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Forgot to ask... staying with the DLS amp or looking for something that can go under the front seat?

32. Alex

But then I'd lose my ID love :wtc:

33. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

yeah the arc is kinda FTL.. :(

34. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Understood.... just sayin'

35. Alex

You get my text today about the price on those Iridiums? Can you beat that? Is it even worth it?

/indecision

36. Alex

The ASPEC is leaps and bounds beyond the ARC. I'll be torching the ASPEC for the product shots and re-selling the ARC knob. FWIW to anyone reading this conversation, it isnt that the knob is awful or knicked or plain dumb looking...the knob is just too small.

I'm really diggin the "heavy" OEM GR STI knob. I'm toying with the idea of having it illuminate at night, just barely, and lighting up the shift pattern -- M style (*cough* CoolBimmer *cough*).

37. SubiNoobie

SubiNoobie Supporting Member

Grats, and welcome to the GR8 STI club! My exhaust should [finally] be shipping in the next couple days and I'd like to get an 'adjustment' to my e-brake boot as well while I'm up there so I'll be giving you a shout soon. Will be nice to see another GR, hell even a Subaru in general!

38. slade1274

slade1274 Member

I did now :eek:

39. Alex

Well there are two in the garage at the moment. :sx: I had a chance to give the GR a quick wash yesterday before dark to check the condition of the paint. The front is already littered with paint chips and there is a scuff on the rear bumper, passenger side, that may buff out :| but such is life. There are minor swirl marks and water spots that need some correction. I also took some photos of the sonax in action so that those of you unfamiliar can see (a) the Sonax color change and (b) just how well it works.

40. Alex

Not sure, love the look and sound of that DLS however. We can discuss options tomorrow. IIRC, RAAM used this super tiny ARC Audio amp for their under the seat boxes. You should give them a call, they were looking for someone to start producing them again.

41. Alex

I've added photos of the car to the OP after her first bath -- Sudsy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, here are a few before/afters of the Sonax wheel cleaner in action. Enjoy the color change. I wish I had a tripod setup to ensure that I got the exact same angle but it just isn't going to happen when you're flinging a hose every which way to wash the wheels. Also, water and Nikons don't mix and with this particular wheel cleaner you have to act quickly!

Before, OEM STI 5 Spoke
    [​IMG]

Just after the initial Sonax wheel cleaner application
    [​IMG]

Oooooh the colors! (Note the initial interaction with the iron in your brake pad dust.)
    [​IMG]

Wow, will it get more red?
    [​IMG]

Zombie death mode activated!
    [​IMG]

Agitate brake dust with a boar's hair brush.
    [​IMG]

Bam!
    [​IMG]

Still not convinced? You're crazy.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2011
  42. longfury

longfury Active Member

How much do you charge for a wash like that? :rofl: ;)

43. Alex

Oh that's just your standard car warsh. The paint correction will hopefully come this weekend. I pleased to see that Subaru's paint quality has continued into their current models :|

I have already found over 6 paint chips, one serious enough to dent the hood, several scuffs that *may* buff out, and a few awful water spots. We'll see what the Menzerna does.

At any rate, you're welcome to come over to the house one day and see if you like any of the products. I'm a huge fan of a proper wash mit, grit guard, Meguiars gold class soap. Beyond that, it's no different than selecting which oil you like most for your motor or what tires you want to use. I've tried a slew of different products, from the cheapest garbage to some of the more expensive and it's all about what you like to see. You get out what you put into it, like most things in life, for better or for worse.

44. longfury

longfury Active Member

Oh my car is filthy. It would be a good test to see how good the products really are in a worst case situation. I need to pull off my beat up and warped flaps before I do anything to the car to be honest. The cheap Rally Armor flaps(no longer made or sold) are not the best. The urethane flaps seem to be better quality.

My nose has been repainted after a small accident about a year ago(bumper replaced and painted and paint blended on the fenders and hood). I think the body shop did a better job than the factory.

45. Alex

The biggest thing for car exterior care is the level you want to maintain it. It is remarkable that a porter cable can take off years of damage to your paint. Just have to put the elbow grease into it.

46. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

Ooh, she's lookin' sexy.

I call dibs on your wheels as weapons when the zombie apocalypse comes.

47. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

How much and where do you get the sonax?

48. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

49. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

www.detailersdomain.com is where you can get it.

I have some baked on rust on my front wheels....wonder if Sonax is strong enough to get it off? Degreaser wouldn't.

50. slade1274

slade1274 Member