Alex's Lightning Red 2008 STi

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Alex, Feb 7, 2011.

1. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

I'll vouch for the sonax stuff also, my car came with a set a oem's that had some really stubborn 'chunks' of brake dust/grime that I couldn't get to come off with a 15min soak of p21s wheel cleaner. Sonax took that stuff off, and it took well under 15min for the zombie action, and just a mild brushing.

My only gripe is that it's sorta pricey per ml, but in terms of the end result its worth it, they did start selling a gallon 'refill' on detailersdomain for around 100bux.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I'll shoot DD an email today to see if we can get a community discount.

3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

4. Alex

I picked up a killer set of pods built by Ryan Slade of Slade Audio on Friday for my new speaker setup (3-Way DLS Iridium 6.3is). These pillars are going to look great all wrapped up in Alcantara and choc-full-of-speaker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. crash#2

crash#2 Member

needs a radio flyer decal

6. Alex

Good idea, haha :)

Ryan is also in the middle of designing a beneath the seat sub enclosure. The mounting depth of the mystery sub is under 3". I'm dang curious to hear how the horn loaded design will sound.

7. Alex

Photo love from last Tuesday's dinner meet @ Taco Mac Prado

[​IMG]

8. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Looks nice! Where did you get the DLS speakers from?

9. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

10. Alex

Matt told me about the DRT...but there's no info posted on the GR product line. Nevertheless, I don't think this is on the hot list for the "gotta buy this NOW!!!1!". Thank you for the link!

Picked them up for a wicked steal off a reputable member, and previous customer, on IWSTI. BNIB never fired, only mounted. Bing at Simplicity In Sound molded a setup for them into a set of door panels (http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2670683-post13.html). I still prefer Ryan @ Slade Audio's approach (see a few posts above).

[​IMG]

While I am not a fan of that setup, the work looks well done. The killer bit about it is that PGT just gave those panels away to make room in his garage...

11. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Yeah, not a big fan of the setup in the pic above either. Looks like Slade's approach should give you much better imaging and a higher stage.

SOunds like you will have an awesome sounding setup in your car, Alex! Congrats!

12. Whose RS is that in the picture (second to the left)? I seen this guy several times around.

13. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I was gonna say Techlord but I don't think his fogs are yellow and I don't think his emblem in the middle looks like that.

15. Alex

Maybe I'll have to give you a listen this time, instead of the other way around :)

16. Alex

I've spent what little free time I've had today looking at lightning red R205s to see if I like the look of the side badges and the gloss black spoiler. I'm diggin' it. Course the 6 pot front & 4 pot rears help :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gloss black front grille
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2011
  17. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

with the red and black, while very tasteful in the S205, you are clearly having a similar dilemma as i have at home, that is, wife that is a GT alum, daughter going to UGA now; i am staying out of this.........

18. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

If you do it, you will have to black out the front part over the grill that is chrome now. I like the black accents though. Looks good to me.

19. b reel

b reel Active Member

it could be orange

20. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

Do eet.

21. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

22. Jake

Jake Active Member

really like most of the 'S' line styling. i would do it, it's definitely unique

23. superdoughboy4

Yeah. Anything polished silver is garbage. Other than maybe the exhaust and the STI badging on the fenders.
    Get the R205 ones.

24. Alex

R205 badges are $100 for the pair; R205 rear diffuser is $500 or so according to STI JP.

25. superdoughboy4

What. 100$ for that tiny bit of flair?
    At least the diffuser is, or rather, should be, functional.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  26. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

27. superdoughboy4

Lulz.

28. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

You already thanked my post...was the "Lulz" really necessary?

29. superdoughboy4

Yes. As a matter of fact, it was.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2011
  30. JL889

JL889 Pandastic!

Street Glow!!! Congrats bro!

31. Alex

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks!

32. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

holy crap where have you been lol

33. K0nTANK3Rous

K0nTANK3Rous New Member

Hey..post up next time you guys head to Taco Mac..i'd like to hang out, i'm down in LaGrange, but will venture up to meet up with some fellas. Spring break i'll prob be up that way a bit since the wife will be cruisin' with her teacher collegues and the kids will be with the grands...

34. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

we will be there this coming Tuesday. There's your notice. :)

35. Alex

Don't have many updates as of late...

• DLS speakers arrived and they look awesome! I didn't take any closeups of the drivers themselves yet, just a few comparison shots between the Iridium 6.5" driver and the UP6i driver.
    • Finally finished up work on my genuine Alcantara cluster hood. I opted to go a different color route that will soon become the GR standard. We sell a ton of this color to customers over in Au. Why? No clue. This color, "Steel Grey", is a much better match to the OEM seats than Charcoal. I took some photos earlier today but they did not turn out well unfortunately.

Iridium (Left) -- UP6i (Right)

[​IMG]

The bad news is that the DLS mids are simply too large to fit into Ryan's pillars. The good news is that I am sold on a paper cone from here on out. We're confident that the mids can be made to fit into the kicks but the question for me is how much work will it be to do so and how will it impact me at the end of things? I will lose the dead pedal, meaning that my desire to quality audio will impede on my desire for quality driving and that seems a bit backwards to me. I'd rather sacrifice this DLS 3 way setup than give up the fact that I actually like driving a manual. The good news is that Ryan, as always, has solutions to the problems. As a Hertz dealer, he has a killer 2 way and 3 way setup ready to go. The bonus about the Hertz three way is that it will fit the pillar setup he created. However, the 2 way setup is one of his personal favorites and that weighs a lot on my decision here as we share similar tastes in music and sound quality. So the question is which direction to go?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
  36. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Big question!

Basically, the three way is what I have in the BMW and I have the 2 way on the board- I can set up the car to match up the crossover points and you can spend some time to decide which suits you best.

37. Alex

That Hertz 3-way is what is running in the 1 at the moment? Because it sounds awesome as is! :)

38. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Kinda... The audison version of the drivers. And the 2 way will sound real close to my old GR setup

39. Alex

Jeeze, I'd imagine the Audison 3-way is 2x the price of the Hertz ;)

40. slade1274

slade1274 Member

The Thesis line is (well, more like 4x); but the Voce line is ~10% more than the Hertz.

41. Alex

Is there an audible or perceived difference that I would be able to pick up on? The thing is keep in mind is that I love hearing a guitar string actually being plucked in some of the acoustic tracks.

42. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Alex If you need any components remember to check Frys ;-)

43. slade1274

slade1274 Member

I doubt it... same basic drivers. The tweeter chamber is a tad smaller with the Audison and the midbass/midrange cone material is different- I would actually say I like Hertz better, but that my be the location of the Audison speakers in the doors....

44. Alex

Yessir, forgot to ask you about it when I needed speaker wire. I'll check the website to see if there's anything else I may need. You guys sell TechFlex?

45. Alex

I managed to wrap up the cluster hood, as I stated in a post yesterday. Here's a non-finished, non-installed, Mr. Blurrycam shot :)

Material: Genuine Alcantara, "Steel Grey", 9052
    Stitching: "Shark Grey"

[​IMG]

Also, Ryan just sent over this photo of the Hertz mid and tweeter fitting perfectly into the pillars!

[​IMG]

46. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I will check on the techflex when I go in Monday

47. FACE

FACE Active Member

If the red was the same color as your car they would look excellent!

I could not be happier with my mud flaps. Anyone thinking about buying these, please save up and get the polyurithane ones...the basic ones sound nice for the price but they do not hold up. Ask Longfury ;)

48. Alex

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's what I've been reading all over the interwebs. Thanks for the heads up!

49. superdoughboy4

Nice. If/when you get to Taco Mac on Tuesday, I can see it in person.
    The alcantra and stitch work always look good.

50. Alex

Iphone photos of the cluster hood. This new color of Alcantara, Steel Grey, compliments the OEM GR 08-09 interiors so well!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know it said it a few lines above, but I want to reiterate that the steel grey is just such a great compliment to the GR interior. It's soooo much closer than the charocl grey we were suggesting in the past. In fact, if anyone is interested in their very own Alcantara cluster hood please sign up for our latest GB! You may find the thread here, http://www.iwsti.com/forums/vendor-...-gauge-cluster-hood-jpm-coachworks-198-a.html

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2011