Alex's Lightning Red 2008 STi

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Alex, Feb 7, 2011.

1. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

why not STiAtlanta.com?

2. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

I have one. Well I bought the domain name...then never did anything with it. :eek:

3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Waste of money IMO

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

:) Cool.

Nothing new to report other than the AC works fine. I'll be installing the pioneer unit into the car temporarily until I decided on where to go next. Unfortunately, I don't foresee anytime to run any wiring for the new setup in the immediate future. Oh well :eek:

5. Alex

A customer of ours sent this in since this to me since he sold his LR GR. Awesome! :D

[​IMG]

6. Alex

Couple small/quick updates!

• VG shark fin installed over Easter weekend
    • Ashraf sent me his "Lightning Red" Scooby Doo, thanks bud!
    • I broke down and ordered a Cobb AP2. I couldn't fight the urge any longer.
    • Also just found out that Prova is releasing a limited run of their SI drive knobs. Pre-order time :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2011
  7. Alex

Accessport Status: Guaranteed Delivery Date/Time: April 27, 2011, 3:00 PM

:wiggle:

8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Just in time. Don't brick it like a newb.

9. Alex

:sx:

10. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

link?

11. GA Scooby

GA Scooby Member

That is hot where do we order?!

12. Alex

13. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

im guessing it cost around $150?

14. Alex

No, half that. :)

15. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

damn nice!

16. Alex

Quick Update: I managed to find a minute (or 10) to flash Cobb OTS Stage 1 this past Saturday. Love how much more smooth their mapping is versus OEM. It makes me miss my stage 2 SS map on the 2004.

17. 97s14

97s14 New Member

Dude did you sell your 04 yet?

18. Alex

Newp -- still need a set of springs so I can take the car off jack stands :rofl:

19. 97s14

97s14 New Member

Can you pm me what it needs to be up and running and price if selling?

20. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

It's amazing how much it smoothens out the band isn't it? I love how we have 93 available everywhere in GA...

21. Alex

Well right now, as she sits, she needs the following (in no particular order):

• Set of OEM 05-07 springs
    • A bath
    • An alignment
    • Plugs changed
    • Sway bars re-installed
    • Endlinks re-installed
    • Stock exhaust re-installed
    • Subframe re-installed
    • Seats re-installed: I removed these to thoroughly clean the carpet. I am debating pressure washing the carpet to get that super deep clean :rofl:
    Definitely :)

22. crash#2

crash#2 Member

i have oe sti springs if you want em. off of alex aton's old 07

23. Alex

Certainly -- how many miles?

24. Alex

The AC evaporator failed a few weeks ago. It's a rather rare problem it seems as I found extremely limited information on all of the community forums. Guess I just got lucky :) More information on that, should you be interested in reading further, may be found here, http://wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?p=410049#post410049. Other than that, there's very little to report. Car has 12,000 miles and no other real problems to report. Love it! :)

Alex

25. djkxgo0k

djkxgo0k Member

love the red and hatch style

26. Alex

Well gents, I have seriously slacked on the updates to the journal. I've found it near impossible to update everything between work, "life" and physical therapy. Fortunately, not much has happened (that I remember at the time of writing this anyway). Nevertheless, four of the most recent updates are changes to the audio system, the steering wheel, the seats and some rock stoppin’ headlight/foglight vinyl from the fine people at Lamin-X.

Audio System: Let It Ride!
    I’ve abandoned this completely and am selling everything. Please let me know if you’re interested in anything, I’m ready to get this assortment of awesomeness out of my house. Why am I selling everything you might ask? The answer is pretty dang simple, I’m about to try and get my brother back into school and I would like to free up as much as possible to make that happen. Easy come, easy go. http://wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31527

Steering Wheel: Prova D-Shape by JPM Coachworks
    She’s naked, but not in a put-your-hands-all-over-it kind of way. The photo below shows an undressed, Prova/DAMD steering wheel core. If you were ever the least bit curious as to what a steering wheel looks like when they’re not all dolled up for a night on the town, this is it. Frankly, I find it rather boring.

[​IMG]

Seats: Recaro Sportster CS by JPM Coachworks
    I have been trying to track down one of these seats since they were released a few years back. Their price tag brand new is a bit much and they rarely surface on the used market. I found this seat while perusing one of my favorite websites, allofcraigslist.com. Turns out, the seller is a member on IWSTI. He purchased this seat brand new to go into his Lexus IS. He grew tired of his OEM tan interior and decided to start switching everything out to black, thus, this seat had to go! The challenge for me will be finding another one on the used market – who knows how long it’ll be till another one surfaces.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lamin-X Headlight & Foglight 12 mil Protect Vinyl Covers
    I hope to have photos after the installation. I opted for clear on the headlights, yellow on the fogs.

That’s it for now :wavey:

27. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Damn nice

28. rsutton1223

I can't wait to see what you do to that seat. I know that tan won't be on there long if you find another one.

29. Alex

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

Robb, still interested in the pillars?

30. rsutton1223

Not right now. I am going to keep my current setup until I get some other phases of the build complete.

31. Alex

Hold them for you?

32. Alex

Wow, nearly two months and no updates? Shame! I only have a handful so I'll break them up based on what I posted on IWSTI...

Prova D-Shape Steering Wheel for GR WRX/STI by JPM Coachworks. Built from a combination of Genuine Alcantara and our Italian Leather and stitched together with our heavy-weight Shark Grey thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

33. Alex

Installed my euro plate last weekend from the GD. I managed to do it without drilling my front bumper. Instead, I went to my local hardware store and found their nylon license plate fasteners. They use a square head and legs which separate out to create a pressure fit once a screw is inserted. I opted to use a hex screw. And FWIW, I have no clue what this fastener is called. I just asked the friendly old man and he pointed me in the right direction.

It's a cell phone photo so...yeah.
    [​IMG]

34. Alex

Also, a project that we worked on a few months ago was recently featured / discussed / whatever-you-want-to-call-it in October's Robb Report Collection. This is one of the SEMA builds we worked on this year and you may remember our blog post on it. If not, here's a link: SEMA Project: 2011 Ford SVT Raptor by JPM Coachworks & Addictive Desert Designs | JPM Coachworks -- Proudly Built in the USA!

The scans are rather larger and I've included a full PDF, should you prefer to view it in "Adobe-Vision", http://jpmcoachworks.com/press/robb...achworks-robb-report-collections-oct-2011.pdf

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alex

35. Alex

Huge thanks to Patrick for picking these two parts up for me during his recent trip to Japan :bowdown:

[​IMG]

I saw a lot of very cool fully functional all inclusive push start / immobilizing / RFID-key based setups while at the SEMA show. I will post updates as I find the time to tinker with this. I've read several places throughout all the Subaru forums where other members make comments such as "Why would you want this, are you that lazy that you refuse to turn a key?" The answer as far as I am concerned is no, I'm not lazy. However, I do want my experience while sitting in and using my car to be more in line with a $40,000 to $60,000 vehicle and less like a 20,000 Japanese vehicle. In the meanwhile, I will install the new cover plate and button and at the very least wire it so that it illuminates properly.

Also, I had a few free minutes Friday night while closing down the shop so I thought I would install the button to see how it fit with the interior. I am a bit confused as to why it appears to be pointed downward versus perpendicular to the floor. Oh well :lol: Also, pardon the blurry cam iphone photos. I cannot wait to wire this puppy up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

36. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Poor poor ol blue.....feeling so neglected.

37. Alex

Not neglected, just resting until I have the time to perform a proper detail, thoroughly inspect her and create the FS listing :)

38. Alex

Quick, but proper nonetheless, photographs of our Prova D-shaped wheel and the button installed. Notice the downward angle of the control panel. My car is perpetual filth machine. Leaving the windows down all day while parked and picking up packages from vendors does that to you I suppose. :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

39. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

i like it

40. liltoua

liltoua Member

Damn looking good Alex! Love it! I saw someone selling that push start button on NASIOC for like $500.....I hope you didn't have to pay that much LOL. Love the touch though

41. slade1274

slade1274 Member

so, do you have to insert key, turn, then push button- or just insert then push?

42. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

Whoa cool, do they have the push button stuff for the GD body? Would love to have the same feature as the EVO X where it's keyless all around. Anyone know of any system that makes it keyless via RFID?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  43. Alex

Thanks :) There are a few difrent approaches to RFID keyless entry. Each vendor has a slightly different take and ultimately my approach will depend on budget as well as how the few kits I looked at SEMA perform once they are available to me in Early Jan. The quality kits are completely keyless and will require you to defeat the steering wheel locking mechanism. This is not difficult, nor is it expensive (so long as you avoid the OEM kit). Essentially what happens is you sit down, apply break pedal and hit start.

Subaru does not offer an option like this for the GD chassis. Nevertheless, I do not see any reason why you simply could not wire up a switch or button of your choosing and go from there. Anyone without an immobilized (think pre 2005) will have it easy-peasy.

44. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

We just want one were we can leave the key in our pocket.

45. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

46. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

No updates as of late?

47. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

i demand a state of the union report.

48. Mr.legg

Mr.legg New Member

Very nice subi