Alignment and Caster

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by liltoua, Dec 10, 2015.

1. liltoua

liltoua Member

Just went in today to get my alignment done today before my track day this weekend. Just a couple general questions. So here is my current setup.

-WRX turbo crossmember
    -ISC Coilovers
    -STI Aluminum Control arms
    -Whiteline ALK

So got everything dialed in. I know caster isn't dial-able, you get what you get...here's my numbers.

-2.5 Front
    0 Toe
    2.7 Caster

Doesn't that caster seem a bit low? I'm reading up other forms and STI guys are running like 4-5 degree of caster stock....What are the stock caster numbers for our chassis?

I'm practically running STI suspension so technically I should be somewhere around that ballpark right? I mean I have no more room for caster because of my godly tires size, but just wonder.

Is it true that you can never have enough caster? GO!

2. b reel

b reel Active Member

Camber/caster plates from MRT or the like

3. liltoua

liltoua Member

Idk, I feel like I should get more than 2.7 from my setup. The alk are suppose to give you more caster due to how it's mounted

4. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

The OEM castor angle varies over model year. To make a change, there are optional top mounts that offset towards the firewall to add a few degrees more caster - some adjust camber, some do not [I used Vorshlags, but that's my obsessive preference, and since it is a DD] and if you are using the STi alloy lower control arms, flipping the pivot pin over also adds 1/2 degree more - even these vary by year in how much castor is possible; then to compensate for the lower ride height, Whiteline RCA ball joint/rod end kit compensates for the what is lost in the dynamic geometry due to lowering McPherson Struts- Thats the setup I decided on.

5. b reel

b reel Active Member

you can also swap sides with the tophats for a little gain

6. liltoua

liltoua Member

yea I'm thinking it's the way I mounted my camber adjustments up front.

7. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member