Android users?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SonicBoom, Feb 16, 2010.

1. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Yeah, only a few got the update and the mass rollout is suppose to happen anyday now for the nexxus1.

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

3. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Yeah, those are Roms based on the leaked 2.2... I have the 4th one from the top on that page (Kangerade).... As far as the mass update, its been "coming very soon" for the last 3 weeks... The 2.2 betas the devs are coming out with are very cool though... all benchmark tests are 2 to 3 times better. The flash beta is cool as well... got hulu.com working, still a little choppy....

4. Trey

Trey Active Member

5. ThatScottGuy

ThatScottGuy Member

6. heathbar

heathbar Member

Yeah, I just got an EVO too. So far I love it and I love the android/sense UI. :)

7. integroid

Heathbar, where did you find your evo at? I have been trying to get another one and can't find one anywhere.

8. Matt

thought you had one on hold...?

9. integroid

Yeah, I already got one for my wife...but still can't find one for myself. I am on two waiting lists but just trying to find one sooner

10. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

For those with "older" phones that haven't rooted and upgraded to Eclair, 2.1 blows the doors off of 1.6 (all with Cyanogen mod)...

Siegel

11. heathbar

heathbar Member

I got on the waiting list at two Sprint stores, Peachtree and Lenox. Originally called Fri 6/11, got my phone Wed 6/16 from Peachtree (next to Piedmont Hospital). A day or two later, Lenox called me too!

12. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

2.2 is even better

beyond 2.2 is still a little buggy, but I install nightly builds on my device

13. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^^ 2.2 is a little buggy for me as well... but overall pretty smooth. You have the N1 right? I was hoping the Roms you use would be a lot more solid considering your phone has the official build/source. 2.2 Roms for my Droid are all still based on leaks. What launcher are you using? I liked the stock 2.2 launcher but allways resort back to LauncherPro... Especially now that you can set your home keys to whatever you want... lol and your "nightly" comment.. I'm not that bad, but change Roms at least once a week to see whats out there and test new builds..

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  14. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

the official 2.2 builds are fine. I usually end up flashing the (insert release past froyo here) nightly builds from our repository

15. Deke

Deke Active Member

Alright, you all seem rather knowledgeable about smart phones. I'm finally going to be getting one through Verizon in the next few weeks. I have no intention (at least for now) of rooting/overclocking/anything else that will void my warranty.

Basically I want a phone that will hold up for a two year contract (that's right never once have I gotten rid of a phone before 2 years). I want it to be decently quick, good at surfing the web, and most importantly, I don't want to drop calls.

From what I've been reading, the Incredible seems like a good way to go with the Motorola Droid being a decent option as well. Any other recommendations?

16. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

the droid 2 is coming out. Id wait for that.

17. integroid

The droid 2 is called the Droid X and it is being announced today with a release date of first week of july from what I have read. I would wait for that if staying with Verizon.

18. Matt

Last I checked, motorola was coming out with TWO new Android devices on Verizon. The Droid 2 and Droid X.

Droid X is supposed to be the size of the EVO, and the droid 2 is just a refined Droid...1.

www.droiddoes.com

19. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

The Incredible is a pretty awesome phone.. but I agree with the others... At least 2 awesome phones are being released very soon... I would wait.... Its allways going to be a crapshoot though... My Droid I bought 7 months ago is allready old news, the Incredible just came out and its allready being overshadowed by the Droid X and 2... And, word on the street is phones with 2Ghz processors are coming shortly after that...

20. integroid

It doesnt say anything about Droid 2 on that site? Just has the original Droid, Incredible, and Droid X.

21. integroid

I thought the Droid X has the 2ghz processor and Froyo. That is what sets it apart from the EVO.

22. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Droid 2 pics have allready been leaked... looks the same only with a better physical keyboard (Droid 1's weakness)... May have the 1Ghz processor in it too. I remember being not impressed with the numbers over the original Droid.

23. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  24. techlord

techlord Active Member

Is it possible to get the actual release date for the droid X? I am currently awaiting my incredible but have no problem waiting a few more weeks...Matt says rumor is 1st or 2nd week of July but I cant even find that info.
    service = Verizon

25. Matt

they are supposed to be announced today or tomorrow. I think tomorrow

26. integroid

It was suppose to be announced today and what I heard it will be released first week of July.

27. techlord

techlord Active Member

Wirelessly posted

Retail stores by july 19th not sure about the web...maybe the release date?
    Anyways I canceled my order and plan to wait

28. Trey

Trey Active Member

Droid X and EVO are on two differrent carriers, no need to make one better than the other. The norm is 1GHz and 2.1.

29. Matt

30. Trey

Trey Active Member

Doh, still no front facing camera. Boo! Must be waiting for LTE.

31. Trey

Trey Active Member

32. Deke

Deke Active Member

Yeah, I just read about the Droid X. I'll have to take a look at it for sure. Although, honestly, I'm not sure I want something that big, but maybe seeing it in person would change my mind.

I've heard rumors of the Droid 2 and even see pictures, but no release date or anything (hell, from what I know the X might be the 2). However, if it is just a souped up, redesigned Droid, I would probably be happier with it just due to the smaller size.

I'm probably heading to a verizon store this weekend, so I'll see what I come up with. Thanks for the input!

Haha the thing that gets me is regardless of what I end up with, I know there will be something better in 3 months :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  33. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

currently have the motorola droid... can't wait for the droid X... must have

34. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Question.....can you jailbreak a Droid on AT&T network without issues. I know unless you jailbroke the iPhone you can't use it on another carrier. Is it hard to make a Droid work on AT&T SIMS?

35. integroid

I think the only other carrier the iphone will work on in the US is T-Mobile. I dont think you can get them to work on the ATT network. I am not expert but the only phones we have on the Verizon network that have sim cards are the global phones. I dont think the android phones are global phones. Same goes for Sprint.

36. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

The Google phone will work. Is the Motorola Droid Verizon only product?

37. Matt

well...it's CDMA versus GSM, so yes...it will only work on Verizon.

you may be able to unlock it for use on sprint or some other lesser known CDMA networks, but it will never work on at&t or t-mobile

38. Matt

verizon doesn't use sim cards. so...good luck squeezing it in there. :p

39. integroid

I have seen people hack verizon and sprint phones to work on metropcs.

40. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

CDMA....thanks that was the acronym I was looking for! I knew GSM as that what I work with here.

41. integroid

They do on their global ready devices. So does Sprint:p

42. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

that's because they have more than one radio to support GSM and CDMA networks

43. Matt

hence why I said lesser known CDMA networks. ;)

and the Android line is not global ready

44. integroid

Right but you said Verizon doesnt use SIM cards and I said they do in their global ready phones...I never said they did in their android phones:)

45. integroid

and I FINALLY have an evo now. Best Buy got 20 in stock yesterday and had about 5 left today:)

46. heathbar

heathbar Member

You'll love it. :) Check out androidforums.com

They're saying we'll get a Froyo update before the summer is over. :bigthumb:

47. integroid

I already want to buy stock in google after only owning this phone for 19 hours:)

48. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I am due for an upgrade on Vzw in August. The Droid X looks pretty cool, I'll have to check it out.

49. integroid

THere will be something bigger and better on VZ by then:)

50. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Yep. Amazing how much more these will do than my BB Curve ;) I've been a BB user forever and it pains me to consider other devices. Blackberry's OS is just so damn efficient and easy to use (Storm excluded). I have been holding out hoping they come to the table with something new but it just doesn't seem to be the case anymore.