Android users?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SonicBoom, Feb 16, 2010.

1. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I had one a long time ago. was one of the first local ISPs to offer unlimited dial-up for $20/month

2. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

You might need to use Verizons outgoing mail server with the Mindspring Incoming Mail server. If you are using the Mindspring outgoing mail server, it may have trouble authenticating.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  3. techlord

techlord Active Member

yeah I have had the mindspring email since they founded the company.
    I think I found what you were talking about Jason and yes I do need to check the outgoing server...

4. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

In the past, AT&T advised customers to use our outgoing Mail server. Not sure if that is still the case, but some email providers will fail authentication if you try to send email through their network when the source is a different network.

5. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Did you figure out your email issue Techlord?

6. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I think this is a standard case of ESO.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  7. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

:rofl:

8. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

Peback

9. techlord

techlord Active Member

nah, i tried a few things with the google settings. long time coming to ditch the mindspring mailbox...all work related crap has been changed to my gmail addy so she can go.

10. techlord

techlord Active Member

well after using verizon for a little over a week I can say with 100% confidence that their Cellular service can't hold squat to ATT!
    I have been dropped more in one week than my entire contract with ATT. No not just at work where I know service is terrible, my house, driving home, friends, etc...

The data services straight up smoke ATT but I have to talk on the phone dammit!!!
    /rant

11. Matt

strange dude....I haven't dropped a call in 3 years...

12. integroid

Are you sure it is not the phone? I have heard that people were having issues with the DroidX similar to what the Iphone4 is doing.

We use Verizon/Sprint and I havent heard of issues like you are having. and trust me, if people were having that problem at my work, they would complain.

13. techlord

techlord Active Member

got another on the way just in case that is the problem only by the time it gets here I have 10 days to shit or get off the pot...Maybe I can complain and tell them that when the next latest and greatest comes out that I get it for free.

My wife has just a samsung flip phone and she has experienced the same problems just not as bad but she just chills with the kids daily.

14. techlord

techlord Active Member

are we exaggerating a tad? swing by my place make a call and walk the distance of my house inside it WILL drop

15. Matt

I'm not exaggerating. :)

I've made calls in your basement and never dropped a call. you are in a valley (HA) though...that doesn't help.

16. techlord

techlord Active Member

garage doors were open...unless we were hotboxing! lol

17. tolnep

tolnep Member

i have lg ally android phone from verizon.

smaller cheaper than the droid x and the incredible.

i get more disconnects with this phone than previous phones. this is the first smart phone i have owned.

i can live with it but the difference is noticeable.

18. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I can say the same thing about my AT&T Service.

19. Matt

they have been both open and closed

last year specifically when we were working on the car in February when it was snowing outside.

20. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Same. Vzw has never given me an issue when compared to my T-Mobile and Cingular -> ATT Experience in Downtown.

21. techlord

techlord Active Member

well I would hate for it to be the phone cause this thing rocks! Good to hear that as I don't plan to return to att.

22. Matt

aren't you planning on moving soon anyway?

23. techlord

techlord Active Member

one of these days just gotta find the right one

24. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

You can try calling Verizon and ask them to send you a new Roaming Profile. It may help, though what you are describing doesn't sound like it would, but at the same point, it can't hurt to try.

25. Matt

*228 is how to do that. option 2.

26. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

That's pretty cool. I don't think we have a * code to update the IRDB. You have to call in and a Customer Care rep has to manually push it to the phone.

27. integroid

28. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Member

I've been running the latest Sapphire Rom over clocked to 1 ghz on my Droid for past two days and I have to say that this setup is simply amazing. Its really fast and very stable.

I haven't read through this entire thread to know if this has been talked about, but if you guys have not checked out the Torque app your seriously doing yourself a major disservice. With a $50 Bluetooth OBDII adapter, its able to read real time sensor data and pull/clear codes, etc. Very cool app that seems to get a lot of updates from the developer.

29. Trey

Trey Active Member

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  30. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

I just flashed to the new Lithium Mod ROM located here for those interested

So far I'm liking it. It seems to be even smoother than the last ed. of Kangerade...I'm waiting for the "black N bold" ROM, and currently have the Alternative Dark.

31. techlord

techlord Active Member

Welp, Verizon has one day to figure out why their cellular sucks at my house or they are gone...3 towers within a mile of my house no bars, 4 different phones, I may just have to go back to shitty att

32. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

you also need to get rid of your task killer. it actually kills the battery more

33. techlord

techlord Active Member

What do you suggest for an app killer? battery hasn't been an issue, cellular service IS.
    I have to be able to use my phone in the garage...thats where the CARS, guns, booze, etc...
    are located

34. Matt

you live in a valley...I'm surprised ANY service works in your house honestly

35. techlord

techlord Active Member

att had no issues or sprint for that matter back 3yrs ago

36. Alex

Install a cell signal booster in the crib?

37. Trey

Trey Active Member

Garbage in = garbage out. Won't help him.

He needs a Femtocell from verizon, assuming they make one. Broadband router that extends the cell signal in the house.

38. Trey

Trey Active Member

39. Trey

Trey Active Member

wifi Hellper is on the Android Market and lets you configure WPA2-Enterprise and install CA certificates. Messing with it now.

Edit: It crashes......boo!

Edit: Looks like it's a nice GUI for a rooted droid....boo!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  40. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

don't need a task/app killer on android

41. Alex

Pretty sure he is using an Incredible?

42. Matt

Droid X...but that shouldn't matter

43. integroid

Can you tell me why you dont need one? I am not arguing with you, just wondering why.

44. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

the operating system, mook :eek:

45. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

it's how the OS is designed. yes, there is a lot of stuff running in the background, but they are suspended processes. generally, if you kill a process that the OS says should be suspended in the background, it will re-run it silently in the background and put it back in that suspended state

from
    http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/ (which quotes some android developer pages)

"Because a task is likely running in the background for a reason, killing it will only cause it to re-spawn as soon as the activity that was using it looks for it again. And it will just have to start over again."

if you have a rogue task that isn't behaving normally, uninstall it.

46. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Yes, but i dont want to hunt around for the exit button on my navi, or pandora..

47. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

why would you need to exit pandora? it can be used as a widget. no need to even run the full 'program'

48. DaveH

DaveH Member

Finally, T-Mobile have an Android phone worth buying.

Just upgraded to this:

Vibrant

49. techlord

techlord Active Member

att is offering one hell of a deal to me on the Galaxy S aka captivate aka Vibrant to ditch verizon but this X is soooo badazz I don't know what to do

50. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Dump the X and get a phone that works at your house