Android users?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SonicBoom, Feb 16, 2010.

1. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Have you looked into Verizons Network Extender? Works pretty good for me.... Would solve your issue...

2. Trey

Trey Active Member

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  3. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Thats true... but I'm assuming most of us are using wi-fi for data... so thats a moot point. The only problem I've found is the extender doesn't help text/picture messages... You'll still be going outside for those :(

4. Trey

Trey Active Member

Good point, I do use wifi while at home.

5. techlord

techlord Active Member

yes use wifi at home.
    I will check that link out when I get home but combine that with shoddy service at work and it just sucks.

6. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

Anybody try an Apad yet? Apparently they're available in 7, 8, 9 and 10inch models and range from about $75 to $200. I'm torn between an HD2 or a Vibrant or just getting an Apad and tethering it...

Siegel

7. techlord

techlord Active Member

quite a few here have the vibrant and I have to admit that screen is fantasic and would never thought I would have said another phones screen could blow away the X. that being said the camera has 3mp less it is assisted gps and guess thats about it well motorolla has some cool camera options available that Galaxy doesnt but I am sure there are many apps out there that will handle that.

Anyone using a virus scan on their android? Heard something on the news yesterday about something bad for our phones but I havn't checked it out yet.

8. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Everything I've read states Virus scan is virtually worthless... and that there is no known virus'us(lol.. virey? spell??) for android... Had that app for a while, uninstalled after I read it was causing issues for folks.

9. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

IIRC, McAffee said there was a program out there that will send text messages to some Premium SMS place in Russia. The idea is nothing new for phones (apparently).

10. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Get the vibrant. I have the galaxy s. . HOLY SHIT it is amazing!

11. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

assisted GPS is nothing to be afraid of, as long as it has a real no shit gps chip

the assisted will just help you pinpoint your location ...faster

12. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

So I never thought I'd get a smart phone, then I wanted a cheap droid, then I figured with the price pro-rated over 2yrs that spending a little more for something new/shinier/faster was worth it.

So I've got a Droid 2, been spending all night transferring contacts since the Verizon backup manager fucked up on my old phone (probably the phone moreso than the software) . Somehow I lucked out and got one on the preorder and then using a free overnight promo code had it yesterday but was too busy to mess with it. Havent heard whether these have had the run that the Iphone 4s have had but I was able to get this quicker than a Droid X or Droid Incredible through Verizon. :naughty:

Cant wait to try rooting it when those come out for the 2.2 OS. This is my first smart phone so I cant comment on how it compares to the D1, Iphone, BB but I'm just excited to have something more than a talking/texting phone.

13. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Congrats on the purchase. It will change your life:)

14. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Droid2 was supposed to come with 2.2 out of the box. Is that not the case? Or are you referring to the root for 2.2

15. Alex

Welcome to 10 years ago Bobby :)

16. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Yeah, talking about roots for 2.2. Its got the Adobe flash, Froyo 2.2, too many bullshit apps preloaded that I cant seem to remove.

And I cant get the facebook app to work, getting an internal error on the phone. FB loads up great in the browser but not through the motorola social networking app. I'm smart phone retarded and havent spent too much time trying to troubleshoot it.

17. Trey

Trey Active Member

Go to the Market and get the facebook app from there.

18. siegelracing

So none of you uber-techies have an Apad or Epad yet???

Siegel

19. integroid

Not yet. I am still waiting for one that has a front facing camera.

20. siegelracing

There's a bunch that do. All the 10" ones I've seen have a screen side cameras (SSCs) and stereo speakers. There are a also a few 7" and 8" that have SSCs.

Siegel

21. integroid

Link? The 10" ones I looked up last night didnt seem to have any camera.

Why dont you get one and let us know how it is:)

22. Deke

Deke Active Member

I'm finally a smart phone owner. I picked up a Droid2 over the weekend. I'm still marveling over the basics, so don't even ask about rooting yet :)

Side note: Thanks to Swype I can finally keep up with my girlfriend's crazy texting fingers.

23. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

shouldnt you have the crazy fingers ;)?

24. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.0)

fyi the facebook app is shitty on all platforms. Much easier to use the website and you get full options.

25. Alex

Where's my netflix app :mad:

26. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Just bought an Android phone... HTC Aria on AT&T. :wiggle:

[​IMG]

There are faster phones out there, with bigger screens but I wanted something that could fit in my pocket with my work phone. This thing is literally the same size as my 80GB Ipod. Its only running 2.1 and AT&T has locked it out of "3rd party apps" but thankfully there is Sideload Wonder Machine to get around that. I just got it yesterday so I am still trying to get everything set up. Can't wait to get my head around all the options that are out there!

27. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Why didnt you get the captivate? it is infinitely better.

28. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

because it is way too big. I was down to the Aria or the Palm Pre and I decided to go with Android over webOS

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  29. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Ah-- understood. I find 4" perfect

30. integroid

twss

31. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Better than his 3.3"s!:rofl:

32. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

So I am up for an update next week. I have the hero now should I go with the epic, evo, or wait.

33. integroid

I still think the Evo>Epic. I played with an Epic last week and it is a nice phone, but doesnt have all the features the EVO has. I have no clue what is on the horizon for Sprint.

34. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Go with the Epic. What features does the EVO have that the epic doesn't? Epic is part of the galaxy S line.. which currently is the most powerful phone out.

35. Alex

Im still waiting for Verizon and LTE. 9/30 baby!

36. integroid

I know it is minimal but the resolution on the cameras are higher with the evo. The kickstand does come in handy while watching videos or doing video chat. It just seemed a little slower than my evo too. You really can't go wrong with either phone though. I wouldnt get the Epic just because of the $50 up charge unless I needed a qwerty keyboard.

37. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Thats true-- the stock rom is sort of laggy, get rod of touch wiz( takes 10 mins) and its faster than hell. Also, epic doesn't have Froyo yet.

38. DaveH

DaveH Member

True, but Froyo is 'any day now' for Galaxy S/Epic/Vibrant.

Mr integroid: A kickstand? seriously? Got one on your bike too, I'll bet ;)

39. DaveH

DaveH Member

Another thing about the Galaxy S worth considering is that it is VERY light. Lighter than an iPhone. A lot lighter (and slimmer) than the Evo.

40. integroid

Yes the kickstand gets kuddos drom me and especially the kids. They love watching m,ovies while we are out....and we love it too since it keeps them occupied. Plop it on the table with the kickstand and instant entertainment for the kids.

I do agree though, the EVO is very heavy for a phone. SO heavy that I dont carry it with me when i ride my bike. I have to carry my Palm pre with me on rides.

41. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Are you talking about the epic or evo.

42. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

The epic. The epic has a shitty touch wiz interface on the rom. Its a easy 10 min fix to take that UI out and put something better along. Its hands down the fastest phone out.

43. DaveH

DaveH Member

Question about FM broadcast:

What frequency is least 'crowded'?

I just received an FM transmitter for my Galaxy S via eBay. Works pretty well. I'm just not sure what frequency is optimum for the Atlanta area. Any opinions?

It's quite a relief to get away from local FM radio. Pandora is what I've been craving for, oh, maybe 10 years now.

44. sharif@forged

sharif@forged Member

Its been a while. Can the latest androids allow talking on phone while using data/aps.

45. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Depends on your network. ATT yes, Verizon no.

46. integroid

Sprint yes from what I remember.

47. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

I think sprint uses the same underlying tech as Verizon, if so then no.

48. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

GSM yes

CDMA no you cannot

49. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Unless you have 4g. It'll work then.

50. integroid

I was about to say that I swore my EVO could do this.