Android users?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SonicBoom, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Verizon 3G CAN do it, but they turned it off so as not to 'cripple' the network.

of course, you can if you're on wifi.

2. Trey

Trey Active Member

You would know....and knowing is half the battle! :cool:

3. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Eh? Its a limitation of the implementation of the network they have,

4. Trey

Trey Active Member

He works for Verizon.....

5. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

..my family works for AT&T doenst mean they are network engineers

6. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

"Every phone on the network is using what is called the control channel. This always open channel is what the phone and the base station use to communicate. It is used to establish voice channels, data channels, initiate hand-offs between towers, text messaging, etc. So even while you are using a voice or data channel (1x for voice or EVDO for data), the control channel is still in use and still communicating with the tower.

So say you are transferring data over EVDO, and someone calls you. The base station tells your phone that there is an incoming call. Your phone says 'ok', ends the EVDO session, tells the base station to close the EVDO channel and open a 1x channel for the phone call (assuming you answer the call).

Or, say you are currently in a call and someone calls you. The base station tells your phone of the incoming call over the control channel. This is how call waiting or 3 way calling is supported."

7. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Errr, he works for WebMD in my building the last I checked.

8. Trey

Trey Active Member

Was wondering if he had quit or not. Can't keep up with everyone lol.