Any astronomers here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 07Ltd#767, May 4, 2012.

1. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

I want to know what the ring nebula looks like in your 10 inch telescope. In the 8inch it's super faint (due to where I live) but you can barely make it out. Any color? it's just gray in mine. And what about m13, the hercules globular star cluster?

2. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

heading out tonight, have a list of stuff i'm looking at. There's a few clusters, a double cluster, a cluster w/ nebulosity and the great andromeda galaxy. hopefully the cloud cover from isaac will hold off, will report back later

3. 07Ltd#767

gonna look for the Ring and M13, too, since they're in the sky. Ring is a magnitude 9, though, not sure how well I'll be able to see it. I typically try to stay under mag 6-7, but hopefully if i can drive far enough out in the sticks I can get away from the light

4. 07Ltd#767

Alrighty...got my list narrowed down. If I can find half of these, I'll be happy.

Galaxy - Magnitude - Nickname or Type
    M8 - 5.8 - Lagoon Nebula
    M13 - 5.9 - Great Cluster in Hercules / Glob Cluster
    M15 - 6.4 - Glob Cluster
    M16 - 6.0 - Eagle Nebula / Cluster w/ Nebulosity
    M17 - 6.0 - Omega Neubla / Cluster w/ Nebulosity
    M27 - 8.1 - Dumbbell Nebula / Planetary Nebula
    M57 - 9.0 - Ring Nebula / Planetary Nebula
    M81 - 6.9 - Bode's Nebula / Spiral Galaxy
    M82 - 8.4 - Bode's Nebula / Spiral Galaxy

And the finale

M31 - 3.5 - Great Nebula in Andromeda / Spiral Galaxy

The finale can be seen with the naked eye if you're in clean enough skies. It's a massive spiral, closely mimicking our own Milky Way.

Like I said, if I can find half of these, I'll be happy...should be a fun night

5. 07Ltd#767

Had fun until Bartow County PD decided only Jesus was allowed to look at the stars...fucking churches, how about you pay some goddamn taxes, then maybe you can call it 'private' property. Anywho, kicked ass before the law came, saw pretty much everything listed above and added a few more to it.

Galaxy - Magnitude - Nickname or Type
    M8 - 5.8 - Lagoon Nebula - No show
    M13 - 5.9 - Great Cluster in Hercules / Glob Cluster - fucking boss...one of the best clusters
    M15 - 6.4 - Glob Cluster
    M16 - 6.0 - Eagle Nebula / Cluster w/ Nebulosity - hiding behind the moon (87% full)
    M17 - 6.0 - Omega Neubla / Cluster w/ Nebulosity - hiding behind the moon
    M27 - 8.1 - Dumbbell Nebula / Planetary Nebula - faint smudge. was definitely noticeable, and you could see the dumbbell shape, but no color, like a cloud in space
    M57 - 9.0 - Ring Nebula / Planetary Nebula - didn't try, as M27 with an 8.1 was cool enough...and a 9.0 is hard as fuck to find
    M81 - 6.9 - Bode's Nebula / Spiral Galaxy - arrived too late, below horizon
    M82 - 8.4 - Bode's Nebula / Spiral Galaxy - arrived too late, below horizon
    M31 - 3.5 - Great Nebula in Andromeda / Spiral Galaxy - found it with the naked eye. Looks like a giant smudge, though, not much detail, though it's HUGE

Double Cluster - not sure the astronomical designation, but Nicad and I both agreed this was the highlight of the night. Bad ass.
    M2 - Glob Cluster - was pretty sweet
    M34 ''
    M39 ''

Went for Neptune, but Johnny law and the clouds both rolled in at about the same time.

All in all, successful trip

6. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Thought of you when I saw this Drew. Dude's dad hand built an observatory. Freaking awesome.

http://imgur.com/a/2lxQL

7. 07Ltd#767

dude, saw that yesterday, jaw dropping. being out on night last night REALLY makes me want to pony up the coin to get those types of images. Unfortunately, you'll never be able to see that with the naked eye (or color, for that matter), but when you stack a ton of pictures with 30 second plus exposure times on them, you get some AMAZING images.

Hard to justify the costs, though...that's probably a $50k setup including the structure

8. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Good times! That really sucks they ran you off. Let me know when you feel like planning a trip up into the national park.

9. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

10. 07Ltd#767

best part is, they actually looked better through the scope than they do in those wiki pictures. Never saw a spiral before last night, and honestly wasn't impressed (astrophotography may change that). Clusters, especially low mag high density ones, look un-fucking-believable, though

11. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

12. 07Ltd#767

cool stuff, Kepler is amazing.

It still boggles my mind that scientists searching for life on other planets are only looking for carbon based life forms that can develop in the 'sustainable zone'.

If, by chance, silicon could form the basis of life, imagine how broad the search for ET's would become

13. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

14. b reel

b reel Active Member

Orionid shower peaks this weekend

15. b reel

b reel Active Member

Geminid Shower 13th & 14th peak at 1:00amEST on the 14th