Anyone else into saltwater tanks?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by josh booth, Dec 28, 2010.

1. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Over the last few weeks I started my first salwater fish tank a 14 gal Biocube and it's lots of fun tought I would share my new hobby with you guy's. A few pics of my new setup....
    More to come over the next few weeks. I will continue to update as I add new stuff.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I've been extremely interested in doing one. How hard are they to start and maintain?

3. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Like I said this is my first salt tank. That is why I went with a all in one the tank is great for first timers. To start live sand live rock and I bought saltwater from a local pet store with the all in one tanks let them cycle for about a week check your water and you should be good. After that add fish or coral and do about a 2 gallon water cange once a week.

4. slade1274

slade1274 Member

I am...

It will take more than a week to stabilize; even with the live rock/sand; so keep an eye on parameters if you already added fish.

saltwaterfish.com has a great message board for those starting out. That's where I get most of my critters.

5. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Yeah I am on ATLANTAREEFCLUB.COM good site to learn from. My tank was good to go after a week I have had my fish in for about 3 weeks alone with a nice cleaner crew and all is good....

6. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

I've been wanting to get a tank for the kiddos. I did freshwater about 20+ years ago.

Do you have an reverse osmosis system in place? I'm not sure what the technology is like compared to 20 years, probably better I would guess.

Hey look you have a couple of nemos in there...LOL!

7. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

No reverse osmosis system on my setup. Salt is not a hard as it was in past years from my understanding. If you want to do salt chenk out the BIOCUBE for sure I ahve a 14gal but they also make a 8GAL and a 29gal.....