AR Platforms: Buy or Build? and Why?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jake, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Jake

Jake Active Member

Thought we had a stickied gun thread?

anyways, as stated in the title, i'm looking to get into the AR platform. the question is should i buy random parts and assemble my own? just buy something used/new and already assembled but basic to mod? or just buy something already modded out and be done with it?

personally, i have a feeling if i start a 'build' i will go crazy and won't control the spending. also i'll be getting a 16.1" so its legal (no class III paperwork), at least to start with maybe doing paperwork and modding later.

anyways, just looking for opinions/what you've got/recommend for a first time AR platform owner (owned a few handguns)

realize i'm probably opening up a can of worms here, haha. but, isn't that the point?
    thanks in advance

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  2. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

i'm also interested in which way to go
    i'm assuming building your own CAN be cheaper but of course it could lead to more spending

3. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Been a long time since I bought/sold mine. I bought mine during the ban period and it had a fixed stock... And I hated that I couldn't put a callapsible on there. You can buy them pretty tricked out on the cheap now though. So, when I go to get one again, I'd probably get one that looks close to the way I want it out of the box and tweek accordingly.

4. Texsun

Texsun Member

Yall must be new around here, just kidding. You should talk to me!!!! Or see this thread, be sure to go through all the pages... PM me your questions or if you want my cell.

http://wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32705

Even with most post bans you can swap stocks out.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  5. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

All depends on what you want out of it. You can buy a basic dpms, Olympic arms, or s&w mp sport for less then $600. Can't build it much cheaper then that unless you get used parts. If it's just a plinker you can't go wrong. S&W gets my vote in that category.

Building one will be expensive. And by that I mean you'll end up customizing it and spending way too much money that you won't get back out of it. But you can say it's for zombies, haha.

6. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

You really need to pay your vendor fees, :coolugh:

But Texsun is the gunsmith on here.

P.S. I bought my 556 AR at bullseye with sights for low 700. Already shot 1000+ rounds through it without problems.

7. Texsun

Texsun Member

Correct sir, but we can also build a base model "mil spec" AR for $496 after Tax.

Spike Tactical Stripped Lower Receiver- 79.99
    North Star Internal Parts Kit- 35.99
    A-Star buffer/tube kit- 25.00
    Magpul Moe Buttstock- 30.00 or Basic Issue Stock- 20.00
    Delton Complete upper receiver- 299.00
    Matech Buis Rear Sight- 25.00
    Total= $496.00

Guarantee it will be better than any other mid grade AR. Especially if I build it, PIMP YOUR GUN!

8. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

In a flat-top, A4...optic ready?

9. Texsun

Texsun Member

Yup, flat top optic ready with front sight post and the matech rear backup sight.

10. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

[​IMG]

We will be in touch. Quote me an AR-10 in .308 via pm.

11. Texsun

Texsun Member

Will do, I will throw one together tonight for you.

12. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Can you post a pic of what you have listed above already built?

13. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

I think a line just formed for $500 ARs.

14. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

I like the sound of what that wagon guy is asking for....

15. Texsun

Texsun Member

NOTE: THIS IS NOT MY BUILD

However this is pretty much exactly what it would look like, of coarse if you want to throw in extra $ we can pimp your gun! I will take an exact photo of the build I am speaking of tomorrow when I get to the shop.

[​IMG]

16. Texsun

Texsun Member

17. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah i want a rail system for future accessories and scope, i will be doing longer distance shooting primarily (50-500 yds) so will be investing in a good scope. I shot a POF with an awesome night optics scope at about 50-75yds yesterday, and loved it. i think i'm leaning towards building it because a friend is building one too and that way we can try parts between the two and share parts and ammo. doing 5.56/.223 (more ranges to shoot at).

18. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I still need my safety selector pin :(

you could have brought it to my party.

19. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Don't have the money now... but also interested in what an AR-10 could be built for... When I had my AR, my friend had an FN/FAL... Mine felt like a BB gun in comparison. My next rifle will be .308...

20. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Is there any way to build anything in 339 lapua that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

21. Texsun

Texsun Member

I figured you ment the 338 Lapua, if so it would be possible! Everything is possible with money!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Log5n-j66UE

22. slowwrx

The 338 they show at the end with a suppressor... NEED IT

23. Jake

Jake Active Member

i didnt see a BCG in there.. those are pricey

i'm looking for a 14.5" mid-length (not carbine) barrel and want a good BCG

24. Texsun

Texsun Member

BCG comes in the complete upper receiver, thats why its complete... The Legal limit is 16inch, however you may get a 14.5 inch if you Permanently attach a break or muzzle device that brings the overall length to 16inch or greater.

This is the exact complete upper that I listed, however I get better prices :)
    http://www.del-ton.com/Custom_Upper_p/cu100.htm

I can get the same price on the mid length that you want. Like I said I get better Prices.
    http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Barrel_Assembly_p/dt1023.htm

25. Jake

Jake Active Member

gotcha, well if that grip is swappable for a rail system (not necessarily now, but in the future), then im interested. and i know about the 14.5" barrel and i'd be adding a nice flash suppressor on there

Like this one (and any other DD parts you can swap in there) as they are local to my hometown and want to support local business ;)

i'll be PM' ing you here shortly, but leave this thread open for general AR platform questions!

26. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I would just buy a rifle dedicated for that round

27. slowwrx

I was actually just looking at them. The only thing I would want would be crazy expensive.

I actually don't see myself buying another long gun anytime soon anyways. I might pick up something cheap just to plink with.

28. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

ruger 10/22, or a 22LR upper (if they are reliable, no clue)

29. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Yes.

30. b reel

b reel Active Member

picked up two little plinkers, Winchester Mod67A. now I'm curious about a Mosin Nagant chambered in 45-70... pretty sure that would knock the f'ing fight out of a person wearing BA if the need arises. Got to watch out for the poachers as much as the zombies

31. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I have a close friend who is an assembler at their plant in Elizabethtown. He's a very very very avid Suby guy and one of the best Suby mechanics around....up there at WJM level. This was his dream job and he got it so quit with the Subys.

32. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

33. Jake

Jake Active Member

and so it begins....

just ordered an upper. probably be a part a paycheck, so slow building. gonna put more money into the BCG and barrel and stick with decent quality upper and lower, better quality parts kits and a great quality trigger. at least thats the plan as of now.

34. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

What did you decide on? Are you gonna build it yourself?

35. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

My new toy. [​IMG]

36. integroid

Is that the DPMS Weapon you were talking about? That was one heck of a deal!

37. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Del-Ton. It's a full 16" mid length heavy duty barrel Del-Ton. Yes it was the deal of the century for me.

Now time to pimp it out with accessories!

38. integroid

Just a got a box of pimp-o-matic for my AR today.

39. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

What did you get? I'm gonna set this up for 200-300 yd shots. I have my 14.5" for close range tactical.

40. Jake

Jake Active Member

got a spikes upper. picking up an ASA lower from a friend later this week. and this: [​IMG]

still trying to decide between a couple barrels. i know i want a match grade, 16" mid-length set-up and i want a rail system. hmm, not sure what else.

41. integroid

are you trying to copy me? LOL

42. integroid

Just some color matching accessories.....rail covers, front grip, magazine......Almost picked up an eotech today but still trying to debate between an eotech or aimport.

43. Jake

Jake Active Member

ill be doing an FDE rail and better than delton parts....

:wiggle:

44. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

There's nothing wrong with Delton parts. Good quality parts.

45. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Nice some of my ammo has arrived.
    [​IMG]

46. integroid

woot! Where did you pick it up? How much? You can PM me if you dont want to post on the board. Was actually about to by 1000 rounds of 556 ammo online but found it locally cheaper at bullseye....imagine that! I am so glad that place is close to me. They have been cheaper on everything I have needed and have tons of stuff.

47. integroid

I have FDE rails on mine now too...or at least FDE covers with the Knights Armor rails.

Who said I had any Delton parts on my gun? Not saying there is anything wrong with their stuff.

48. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I still have 2000 more on the way. www.freedommunitions.com

They come up with random sales all the time. Join them on facebook and you will be notified of such sales. Right now a 9mm and .223 combo order sale is going on.

Last week they had just a .223 sale going and it sold out STUPID quick.
    1000 rds 62 gr penetrating ammo $289.99
    1000 rds 77 gr HPBT ammo $299.99
    1000 rds 60 gr VMAX ammo $350.00

49. integroid

Nice find. Bullseye's prices are comparable to what they have listed on their site for 1K rounds. I liked them on FB so will try to jump on any sales they might have.

50. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

There was a Krazy Deal about 2 months ago. $229 for 1000 rds iirc. Every so often they come out with new Krazy Deals which are not the same as the Sales I took advantage of.