AR Platforms: Buy or Build? and Why?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jake, Jul 11, 2012.

1. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Here is an very informative site for people looking at buying/building an AR. Let's you know what to look to find quality parts.

http://forums.officer.com/t81462/

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

thats a great thread.

nothing wrong with delton parts at all, by better, i meant...nicer? haha

3. integroid

Nicer? Humm, I have looked at over a dozen lowers in the last week. I really havent seen one that was any "nicer" than the other....well there was one stripped lower that was $500 that looked like it was billet or something but that is just a waste of money. I personally dont have any Delton parts on my gun but from what I have seen, it looked just as good as everyone else lower. Notice in that thread some of the high dollar uppers do not look as well as some of the cheaper uppers.

4. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah, a 7075 lower is a 7075 lower. i'm putting my money where it counts in better quality bcg and barrel (as i said before). all delton offers are 'basic' (i guess thats the best way to describe it), parts in that area. i want more 'match grade' (a la nicer) parts there.

like i said, this is what i'm working on:
    -Spikes Tactical Upper (already have)
    -American Spirit Arms Lower (getting this weekend, second hand, but unused and stripped)
    -Palmetto State Armory Lower Build Kit with Magpul stock and trigger guard in FDE (getting this weekend)
    -Nib-X coated BCG (still looking for one)
    -PRI Gas Buster Charging handle
    -16" 'match grade', mid-length barrel, either 1/7 or 1/8 (no higher than 1/9, still comparing products out there, but really liking the reviews and value of the Rainier Arms stuff) EDIT, these:

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2267

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2892

-Mid-West Industries 2-piece FDE 12" quad-rail (buying in near future).
    -Low Profile Gas Block (of some sort, haven't really started comparing those yet)

have a friend that can probably build it for me/help me throw it together, but i may just pay the local shop here to assemble it. not that far yet.

hope that gives you a better idea. again, i have nothing against delton, they just don't make what i want.

and opinions/experiences on those products/companies are greatly appreciated. i'm new to this, have a couple GREAT friends out here who know their shit, but i think when it comes to guns you can never have enough knowledge.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  5. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I stopped reading about two paragraphs into this. None of us will give two shits about what 99% of what this guy is talking about. ever. we will never get to the point where anything in his article matters besides aspergers semantics. and if you do, none of you have the engineering or metallurgy background to give a shit.

6. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

That is far from a true statement. They do have as you call it 'match grade' parts. Just don't advertise it to consumers. My guy works in their factory.

7. integroid

I didnt read the entire article I just looked at the pics that showed properly staked gas keys, shrouded firing pin, and what M4 ramps should look like:) Like you said, I dont think half of the crap he is talking about really pertains to me but he does have a few pointers on what to look for in buying parts for an AR build.

8. Jake

Jake Active Member

[​IMG]

9. integroid

I think I am finished with her now.

[​IMG]

10. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Very nice Integroid.

Which Eotech did you go with and where did you get it? I'm looking at the same brand for a holographic scope but want to add magnification.....sheesh the money is adding up fast!

11. integroid

Thanks! I got the eotech exsp2 from Bullseye, a local gun store/range. They had it cheaper than anywhere I could find it for online. I plan on buying the 3X magnification at a later date. I cant believe that thing is another $500 though.

12. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Yeah they are high! Esp when you can get a regular snipe scope for cheaper but then it looks retarded on an AR due to the size.

13. Texsun

Texsun Member

I really love the 512s you can pick them up new for about 375 at local shops sometimes you can get them a bit cheaper used. I prefer how they sit flush on the rail system, along with the ability to co witness iron sights. However on the exps you have pretty much unlimited battery power. In the military we use the 553 on our weapons, because they are quick detach, nv and a few other features.

Should have got the ZOMBIE STOPPER!!! trollllolol!

http://www.eotech-inc.com/products/sights/xps2Zombie

There are a few different options for magnifications behind red dots, starting at about $80 all the way to $550 name brand isnt everything :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  14. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I literally just got back from the gun store and they had a 512 in stock. $439. If I find one for $375 or cheaper it's sold!

Texsun feed me info on the magnification systems for $80. I don't care about name brand....but would like the ability to flip it to the side so I can use the Eotech without magnification.

15. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Also wanted to ask about the various .22LR conversion kits. Is there anything bad about doing such? Would be nice to convert for super easy and cheap plinking of tree rats so I can help feed b reel.

16. integroid

Welcome back Texsun! I am very interested in the $80 magnification you are talking about too.

They had the 512 up at Bullseye for $375 last night. I picked up the EXPS2 because I liked the short body plus it had a quick detach built in. I can still use my BUIS too.

Drew, I saw that on eotech's website but they didnt have one and I didnt feel like waiting to order one:)

17. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

we talked about this, as both brett and justin already have ARs and I enjoy shooting .22LR the most, most of the uppers were coming in just under the $300 range. I looked at the conversion kits, but i don't want to mess up the stock barrels on not my guns, so we dismissed that idea pretty quickly. The completed uppers aren't too bad, though, and they don't require FFL to purchase

18. Texsun

Texsun Member

19. integroid

Thanks Drew....will be stopping by Bullseye this weekend to see if they have any cheap 3X magnifiers for my setup. If not, I might be ordering one of the ones above to test out:)

20. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Integroid. Look up the Mako magnifiers. They make a 3x, 5x, and 7x magnifier that is getting great reviews. $80-140.

21. Jake

Jake Active Member

looking good eddie, just ordered my LPK. picking up the lower sometime this weekend.

22. integroid

Jake, which lower are you getting and where?

I dialed in the eotech today. It is so nice and makes it so quick to get on target.

Thanks Celtic for the suggestion. I ordered a 3rd gen Mako 3X from amazon with a flip to side mount. I figure if it was crap, I could just send it back to them. Basically everything I have read says either live with the cheap crap or get the eotech/aimport brand. The guys at bullseye said they tried a few of the cheap ones and stopped carrying them because 1/2 were usually defective. I guess we will see.

23. Jake

Jake Active Member

getting an ASA (American Spirit Arms) no longer made from a friend. he never used it, just a stripped lower that sat around for years.

24. integroid

Oh no, not again!

[​IMG]

25. Jake

Jake Active Member

almost bought one of those, until i went to buy it and it had sold out!

26. integroid

27. integroid

Humm...if you are going with a magnifier you will probably want to get one of the ones with the buttons on the side. I believe the 517 is the one you want.

28. integroid

Just an update. I ordered the Mako 3X Magnifier and a cheap push to side mount and shot it today. The Magnifier is an A+ in my books. If you get one, make sure it is the 3rd gen model and it has the little band around it with the Mako Brand on it. Apparently, their magnifier got copied and were being sold as Mako when it wasnt their magnifier. I would look at other options as far mounts. The slide to side is a POS and will probably be returning it. I have read several reviews on the mount that lets you twist the scope to take it completely off. I might that one a try.

29. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

So it's not a flip to side? You said slide to side so I'm thinking it 'slides' and not flips. Got a pic of the magnifier installed?

30. integroid

This is the one I got....It is a POS and shakes badly after firing each round.
    [​IMG]

I will try and get a pic of it mounted later today. Just a FYI, I had to remove my rear buis to get the magnifier to fit. I believe with the eotech magnifier, you can keep your buis. Is that worth and extra $400, probably not.

31. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Yeah I figured have the buis on a quick connect and if you need it in a pinch it takes just a few seconds to snap it on.

32. integroid

33. Jake

Jake Active Member

ordered bcg and charging handle. lower parts kit should be here tomorrow.

34. Texsun

Texsun Member

omm nom nom?

[​IMG]

35. integroid

36. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

What are you doing different with the second gun Integroid? Looking good btw.

37. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Texsun does a suppressor really work much on a .223? I was told it doesn't really suppress the noise that much.

38. integroid

It is a 10.5" barrel pistol for now. If I like the way it shoots, I will get the SBR stamp and put a stock on it.

39. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

What's involved with getting a SBR stamp?

40. integroid

I was next to one at the range the other day and it did make a huge difference. A lot of the clash comes from the rounds you use.....if your rounds go supersonic, you will here the clash regardless if you have a suppressor or not.

41. integroid

Pay the government $200 then engrave on the lower that it is a SBR lower only. Oh yeah, wait 6 months for your stamp to come in:) I can keep the pistol tube on it until the stamp comes in.

42. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Yeah that was what I was thinking but he argued that point with me. I asked are you sure you are not hearing the bullet breaking the sound barrier?

43. Texsun

Texsun Member

nail'd it!

44. Jake

Jake Active Member

Yeah you'll need to use subsonic rounds

45. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

So I go to my local gun store at lunch today (I frequent there a lot) to check out a IWB that the store owner custom made, which was freaking awesome and I bought it. He had in a new shipment of SightMark Eotech clones. I didn't look at it a whole lot but the quick glance it looked great. Walked outside into the broad daylight and I could see the holograph just as well as the real Eotech that I also took out to compare.

At $180 it's very tempting. It's the one that mimics the small Eotech that has the buttons on the side...I can't remember the number. Gonna do a lot of research and see if it holds up. Like Texsun says....it's not always the name that matters. Same holds true for just about anything.

46. Texsun

Texsun Member

Isnt it cloudy today?

47. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I live near Myrtle Beach SC ;)

48. integroid

It is tempting and I almost bit on one as well but the guys at the store talked me out of it. They claimed the batteries only last 2 hours or so and have seen them not last very long. Sometimes you get what you pay for.....Sightmark is the same company that made the POS QC Scope mount I just returned.

49. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Yeah which is why I wanna research more. I tend to not believe anyone that is selling stuff.....they majority of the time are looking to make the sale on what they can make the most profit on.

50. integroid

Nah, not at this store...they are younger people that get paid hourly and really dont give a damn which product you buy. The owner is never there and they have even steered me away from more expensive products. Plus I would think they would make a higher margin on products from the motherland vs products made here. At least that seems to be what I have noticed on the retail side of things.