AR Platforms: Buy or Build? and Why?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jake, Jul 11, 2012.

1. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

but if you do get one, I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on it:) Always looking for a good deal on things.

2. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I'm gonna see if they will let me test one out with a money back guarantee.

3. integroid

Yeah, everything I have read on the knock offs is saying they are really made for airsoft guns at best. Wont hold zero, batteries lasting an hour or two, to breaking after a week or two. I will admit that the eotech is a dream. I was firing my rifle this weekend outdoors and was doing walking drills while firing and could hit the target everytime. What a difference it is firing outside and being able to move around vs. sitting in a lane at a range.

4. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Yeah that's my debate. That is a part of the gun I'd rather not fail and have issue with. I mean it's not the end of the world since I have the iron sights but the holographic sight makes a world of difference with speed and accuracy.

5. Jake

Jake Active Member

progress so far...

[​IMG]

6. integroid

Here is my completed pistol.

[​IMG]

7. integroid

ANyone interested in the complete gun as it is with eotech, magnifier, Griffin Compensator, Knights Quad Rails, New Covers, and two FDE mags? I can post more recents pics if needed.

8. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

How much? You can PM me.

9. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Integroid consider that AR sold!

10. integroid

11. Jake

Jake Active Member

12. Texsun

Texsun Member

13. Jake

Jake Active Member

went with the STR.

everything is on order!

14. Texsun

Texsun Member

I dig the str, but with that style I'm partial to the sopmod 0 :) it doesn't have the storage as the str but it feels solid!!! I can use it to beat something with!

15. integroid

Like maybe a Zombie's head?

16. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

What's left of it after a few well placed shots!

17. Jake

Jake Active Member

haha, so i haven't even gotten my parts in yet (will be here thursday, and i'm off!!), but i'm already looking at a larger caliber rifle (to have two caliber AR's). this isn't something that's gonna happen any time soon (getting an XD-S and a shotgun of some sort first), but just wanted to see which direction to head with this next build. 300AAC? 6.8spc? 3.08? my 5.56 is a 16" barrel, so i'm thinking possibly an 18" or 20" because the larger round would obviously be for longer range stuffs (probably have a scope and not a red dot, etc). anyways, what you guys think on the big caliber AR's?

18. integroid

You are going down the same path I just went down. I am looking into a 300AAC right now. My can will support any of those calibers so just trying to decide.

19. Texsun

Texsun Member

Which can you get ammo easier? 308 plus parts for them are starting to drop!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  20. b reel

b reel Active Member

besides boar or bear why even have a .30_+ in a AR platform? especially with a barrel shorter than 22"?

21. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

What I was thinking. Shoot my .270 is plenty for boar.

22. Jake

Jake Active Member

i dont hunt

23. b reel

b reel Active Member

so the purpose and expense is?

24. Jake

Jake Active Member

for longer distance shooting at the range. i used to shoot competitively and shooting at the range is fun (prefer outdoor obviously). there is a range we frequent out here that has 'tactical bays' and ranges from pistol to more than a 1/2 mile. so just cuz

25. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Gotta get ready for the government apocalypse...duh.

26. b reel

b reel Active Member

yeah Obama's imaginary domestic enemies, zombies and the ancient aliens... got those covered

27. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

28. Jake

Jake Active Member

29. integroid

have you shot it yet?

30. Texsun

Texsun Member

That guy screams credibale source!

31. Jake

Jake Active Member

still need a gas tube, probably shoot next weekend

32. Texsun

Texsun Member

You got all the pimped out jazz but a $5 gas tube lol you crazy!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  33. Jake

Jake Active Member

thought it came with the barrel, i was wrong. picking one up next time i'm at the distributor. no biggie. with the car in the shop i'm broke anyways, so i can't really afford to drop $100-$300 on ammo to go to the range and shoot it. so i'm not really in a rush.

oh here are the final specs:
    Troy/VTAC TRX 15" rail (FDE)
    Daniel Defense S2W (strength to weight) 16" midlength barrel w/ low profile gas block
    Troy midieval muzzle brake
    Vortex Optics red/green dot scope
    Magpul STR stock/MOE grip/trigger guard (FDE)
    Spike Tactical Upper
    Ameetec/ASA Lower
    FailZero coated BCG
    KZ Ambidextrous charging handle
    Palmetto State Armory LPK/Mil-Spec Buffer tube and spring kit

i think that's everything. excited to go shoot it after i check the headspacing and get that gas tube and what not. then i'll pick up a sling and MBUIS. but pretty good start, i'd say

34. Texsun

Texsun Member

buying the Buis for me right?

35. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Jake, sell me the gun...so you can fix the car and not be broke...for once ;)

36. Jake

Jake Active Member

nah, got it under control ;)