Atlanta SCCA RallyCross Event #1 2015

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by boogerburns, Jan 21, 2015.

1. boogerburns

boogerburns Member

It's that time of year again. I've got my 2015 WRX registered. I also have a friend with a 2013 Impreza and another friend with a 2002 Outback registered. Lets' represent! Let me know if you'll be there and we can meet up or whatever. I'm renting a cabin on the grounds, so I'll be bringing alot of food and beer with me.

It's at Durhamtown plantation over in Union city, which from here in Woodstock is a 2 hour trek.

Register

Atlanta SCCA RallyCross Homepage

2. J-Rad

J-Rad New Member

This is a thing that I've wanted to start doing since I got my car, and I'm very interested. One question I have, are there any real hurdles to passing tech? The registration page flippantly mentions battery tie-downs, and I know I sure don't have one of those.

I didn't see anything like a comprehensive list of things they were looking for. as long as I have a relatively new car, and I'm not hemorrhaging fluids, am I going to pass tec inspection?

3. griggs81

griggs81 Supporting Member

All new cars have battery tie downs. Try to move the battery with your hands. If it is solid and doesn't shake or move, you are good. If it is loose, tighten the bolts that hold the battery in place (tie-downs). Be careful not to over-tighten as that can bend the piece of metal that goes over the battery. Hope this helps!

4. boogerburns

boogerburns Member

If you have an STi, you definitely have a battery tie down. They look for things like loose stuff in the car, leaking fluids or gas, bad tires, etc. Anything that could potentially be unsafe. It'll be easy to pass inspection,its not a big deal. The hardest part is making the decision to register. Why not today?

5. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

I work Tech for Atlanta's Solo (autocross) events. The biggest thing I had to call out on people's cars was a loose battery. Give it a big push, see if it moves. If it does, do what ever you need to do to secure it. Zip Ties work in a pinch. The second thing was shit in folks trunks. Empty everything from the car. You can do it at the event in the paddock area. You'll see piles of other driver's stuff all around. You MUST remove any subwoofers, doesn't matter how well you have them tied down. Unless it's factory stuff of course, I'm talking boxes in people's trunks. Yes, it happens. Torque your lugs down to the right lbs. Over tightening them will event in failure and for something simple like torquing down the wheels it can cause a lot of damage. I torqued mine to 80lbs. Look up your car's numbers. You can not run with any missing lugs, either. Yes, that happens too. Over inflate your tires before the event. When you get to the event ask what other guys are running and bleed out what you don't need. It's easier to let air out then put it in at an event. I would air mine up to 40psi the night before events. Bring extra zip ties with you, too. In case something comes loose, you can fix it quickly until you get back home. Oh, and last, have your numbers and class on both sides of your car before you tech. Painter's tape is the best option here. Bring a roll of it. If your car's blue, don't buy blue tape.
    Thank all I got for now ;)

6. boogerburns

boogerburns Member

Thanks for that @superdude

7. KGraska

KGraska Member

Will there be extra helmets or helmets for rent?

8. boogerburns

boogerburns Member

I think on the site, it says there will be ones available to borrow. I bought one off Craigslist for 80 bucks. If anything, Ill let you borrow mine when I'm not running or something. Wouldnt worry about that too much.

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

besides battery issues, check your exhaust hangers

10. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Yeah, make sure nothing is hanging low on the car. Like the motor splash shield. Sometimes a pin can come loose and sheared off on a dirt clump.

They should have loaner helmets.

11. J-Rad

J-Rad New Member

Okay, I'm sold! Im registering on payday. Anyone know what the best/nearest hotels are near there are? I'm guessing Union Point is the nearest town...

Also, I don't have a SA helmet, only a (brand new, full face) motorcycle helmet. Will I need to use a loaner, or could that work?

12. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Helmet needs to be SA or higher. Sorry. Might want to rethink the motorcycle helmet if it's not rated at least that high. No one wants to see your brains except Zombies ;)

13. ~The_Duke~

~The_Duke~ Member

I dunno, I've been told it goes well with fava beans...

The SA helmets are designed for your head bobbling around in the car while its rolling

The motorcycle ones are disigned for you head hitting the ground once or twice.