Being Dropped From Insurance WTF

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nygiant, May 14, 2011.

1. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

you might want to call

[​IMG]

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Wowza, that stinks! Sorry she couldn't be of more help.

3. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

amica is known to be a VERY highly rated insurance company. If you're getting a halfway decent quote from them, its worth seriously considering.

But since you have til June til your current coverage expires, you have time to keep shopping.

4. nygiant

nygiant Member

amica details below: 246/month

(progressive would be about the same if i adjust the coverages to match this...if i got basic coverage and 1k deducts for progressive, it would be around 210/month)

Automobile Policy Coverages

Coverages for: 2008 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX
    Rental Per Day/Maximum: $20/$600

5. nygiant

nygiant Member

i checked out a couple quotes leaving out my accidents/ticket....almost all were around 100/month :|

6. tolnep

tolnep Member

you might try taurus insurance in marietta off rosswell road west of the big chicken.

theyre a broker, they put your details in and a computer churns out quotes. some being higher than others of course. you can mix and match, like take bigger deductions for instance.

they do everything from cars, boats, planes.

at one point in my life i almost had 'fishbowl' insurance. thats what i call assigned risk. where your record is so bad no insurance company will take you so they put your name in a fishbowl and the 'lucky' insurer pulls your name out. not cheap.

in my highschool days, one time i wrecked 9 cars in a single accident in broad daylight in the middle of the day, just off the square in marietta. i was not intoxicated, just in a hurry. made the front page of the marietta daily journal.

i know about 'insurance'....

btw, you cannot escape your driving record. you can leave it out to get a quote but when they go for real, they're gonna do a records search.

i use them also to find out what insurance would be if i bought vehicle x.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  7. Mad Mallard

whelp. there you go.

Are you paid off on the car yet?

If so, do you have $25,000? you could self-insure your liability.

Office of Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner issues certificates of bonds on that.

unrealistic for most people, but meh, who knows...

8. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

Wreck nine cars at once.....

Challenge Accepted

9. nygiant

nygiant Member

[​IMG]

10. nygiant

nygiant Member

so the day is coming near....i did a nationwide quote this morning and got a rate of 260/month. got a voicemail from a nationwide rep, then looked at my quote again and it dropped to 216.
    see pic below for coverages. as you can see, i dont have have gap payoff coverage. however, the next comparable quote i am looking at is progessive at 219 for the exact same coverages but it DOES have gap payoff included...do i really need gap payoff coverage? which company would you guys choose?

[​IMG]

11. nygiant

nygiant Member

i was also looking into the GA online traffic school for an insurance discount...but neither progressive nor nationwide offer the discount

12. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

It's a no brainer. You question $3 more a month for gap coverage? I'd go with the gap coverage.

13. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Make sure you call a local agent. I switched to Allstate about a year and a half ago, through their website. Their quote was cheaper than I was paying at the time with Progressive, so I signed up and have been with them ever since.

When I bought my bike a couple months ago, I tried to set up insurance for it online, but was directed to call a local agent. While talking with the agent, he looked at my account and noticed that I was on a Non-standard Allstate policy. Because of the Non-standard policy, I was paying about $250 more per year than I should have been.

He switched me to a Standard policy, added Homeowners, and Bike insurance, and saved me a good bit.

14. b reel

b reel Active Member

What kind of dumbass wouldn't have Gap if they still owe on the car?

15. Jake

Jake Active Member

at the same time compare apples to apples. check the online policies against the quotes from the local offices. the local guys make commission that's why the internet is generally cheaper, and local guys are viewed as 'sleezy', because they are always trying to tack on extra coverage they get bonuses for.

16. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I never noticed to respond, but I am with state farm. I'm 21 years of age, had my license suspended for 6 months, 2 speeding tickets, Good Credit(Not Perfect), .... I had 2 incidents, where they payed out. One of my previous cars rims that got stolen, they paid 3k in full, 2 months later my car gets stolen, they covered full 7k, and this was 1998 integra. Year later I was in a accident, my fault, they had to pay other side and me, Probably costed them 20k+, since they had to cover my 12k side. And my insurance is only 140/month, full coverage. Not sure how some peoples insurance is so HIGH. -.- Not sure why they scrweing you over so much, probably because you were dropped from insurance, and had recent accidents. Still, shouldnt be that anal.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  17. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Ummmmm.
    I'm wondering why in the hell your insurance is not up the roof.
    I pay ~200$ a month. It used to be ~280$, but my mom's speeding ticket was cleared so it dropped.

18. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

That 140 includes road side assistance, and insurance on my current apt..... Not sure if this has anything to do with the low price, but my mom been with them for past like 10 years or so, I was added 4 years ago, title on me. And my speeding tickets were 2 years ago, 4 months apart, and suspension was 2 years ago also. I guess I'm dodging bullets?

19. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

I mean, I don't know too much about how insurance works. But it seems like it. Lol.
    I have 1 accident on my record, but that was 2 years ago.
    A dinky 4 door sedan shouldn't cost 200$ a month to insure it!

20. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Not sure how you are insured at all. You are High Risk and should be paying out the ass. Are you on your Mom's policy?

21. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Well I used to be a high risk, havent seen a ticket in 2 years. Yes, I was added to her policy, 4 years ago.

22. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

That is why your insurance is as cheap as it is. If you were on your own policy, it would be much, much higher.

23. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Well, I'm not complaining. Gotta find the loop holes.

24. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

I pay right around 70 a month under my parents policy :)

25. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

^^
    lol and i thought mine was low.

26. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Aren't you married?

Mine is $150 a month for 3 vehicles under MY policy :)

27. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

No, not married. Just committed.

28. nygiant

nygiant Member

soooo...after actually running my record...the cheapest came back from progressive at 262 a month with 50/100/50 and comp 500 and coll 1000 with gap, rental, and roadside
    i also enrolled in the progressive snapshot program that monitors the vehicle ecu for driving habits, so i'll most likely get a discount once they see that i barely drive the car since i work from home

29. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Snapshot program? Enjoy giving up your freedom.

How the heck that work anyways? You permanently plug in something to the ODBII port?

30. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

With Snapshot, Progressive’s usage-based insurance program, you could turn your good driving into huge savings—of up to 30 percent—on your car insurance.

Here’s how our usage-based insurance program works*:

Enroll online.
    Sign up for Snapshot when you quote and buy your Progressive car insurance policy.

Plug the device into your car.
    We’ll mail your Snapshot device to you, along with details on where to plug it into your car.

Drive as you normally do.
    For the next 30 days, you’ll keep track of your good driving habits with the Snapshot device. You can log in to your Progressive policy anytime to see your projected Snapshot DiscountSM.

Enjoying your savings
    On day 31, your initial Snapshot savings—which can be anywhere from 0 to 30 percent— kicks in. After six months, you’ll send back the device, we’ll finalize your driving snapshot, and you can keep saving for as long as you’re insured by Progressive.

You can only save money with Snapshot—your rate won’t go up—but if at any point, you decide the program isn’t right for you, just call us and then send back your device.

The heck with that. What business is it of their's if you decide to go a little 'spiritedly' one day?

31. nygiant

nygiant Member

well i can end my enrollment anytime i want, but saving money is more important to me than driving like an asshat. and i dont really drive like an asshat anyway. i have my cbr for that now
    its similar to the dongle thing that the AP uses...just plug it in to the OBD

32. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

:rofl:

can only imagine the letter. Well your driving is perfect every weekday on your commute to and from work, but..

33. Mad Mallard

then trying to get a discount from them on the pretense that you are a safe driver in their judgement isn't for you...

34. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

They all just rip you off anyways so like that matters.

I swear everyone is just giving up all their freedoms.

35. Mad Mallard

Participating in a voluntary monitoring system to save money isn't quite the same 'giving up of freedom' that deserves invoking a Benjamin Franklin response, imo...

but whatever straightens your hair, i guess.

36. nygiant

nygiant Member

so after my 30 day period on the snapshot program, my savings is.......

A FULL 30%! $529
    not bad at all

37. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Good news.