Blow'd up 08 STI

Discussion in 'General Community' started by Biggis, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biggis

Biggis Member

Update 2-10-09

I called SoG this afternoon.

My car just today had a compression test done. Neil at SoG didn't know the results of it though.:unamused:

My rental "grace" period has ended. I don't know if Subaru will pay any of the rental car from here on or for the earlier stuff honestly.

So...anyone have a cheap car they want to temporarily sell or "rent" for a while? (SoG keeps jerking me around about getting a loaner)

2. WJM

WJM Banned

The dealership can tell SOA (via their service rep) that they need to extend you in your rental.

[​IMG]

3. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

big brother is watching remember
    but dont know who has the reflash

4. Biggis

Biggis Member

I just plain don't have the money to pay for a months worth of rental car at $56/day (40 +16 bucks insurance)

edit.
    and be comfortable.

5. techlord

techlord Active Member

I know I would be raising fucking almighty hell in the showroom until I either got a rental or stuffed in the back seat by the popo's. But thats just me.

6. Biggis

Biggis Member

Somehow that wouldn't really help me, but thanks.

7. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

You should check with your insurance company. They may cover a rental. Mine does.

8. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

mine does as well...but ONLY for accidents, not warranty issues. that, you have to come out of pocket for.

9. FACE

FACE Active Member

I think they should pull a used car off the lot and let you drive it....

10. Biggis

Biggis Member

but that would require a minor amount of customer service. WHY IN GODS NAME WOULD YOU DO THAT!!!

Jesus Christ I am so damn frustrated by all this I just don't want to deal with this car or Subaru ever again afterwords.

Kind of makes it worse, I was quite the fanboi before this.

11. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Yeah, I agree with the posts above. I would take a lawn chair and just hang out in the showroom talking to everyone that walked in until my rental/loaner car appeared...

On another note.. Doug, that is a pretty incredible offer you are willing to make to the community.

12. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

Now THAT's some tastey fucking PR :bigthumb:

Good job, and quoted for posterity, repetition and retention.

13. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

Dude SOG put me in a loaner car twice for 45 days +

WTF?

14. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

I think SoG has gone downhill as of late (apparently as with all of the dealerships...), but I also have a feeling your reputation preceded you at SoG and that is why you got those loaners;)

15. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Ive gotten loaners at SOG too

16. wrxin8or

Doug...you fucking win.

Listen to the man who knows what hes doing!

17. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

For those concerned, the thread will not be locked. However, I will continue to prune unnecessary comments. Nevertheless, this thread is not for members to discuss their own experiences with these dealerships -- we have a section of the forum for you to do just that. This thread is now for community members who have GR STis, who have concern for this problem or who share this problem. This thread will ultimately become informative only and most comments will be removed.

Please remain on topic and please remain pleasant.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
  18. WJM

WJM Banned

gotsol was not working at SOA at the time, and IIRC, the car was rather new. Similar situation here except it was engine/diff related instead of engine.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  19. WJM

WJM Banned

Yep, I know.

Cuz last I checked the new car thread you made, it was NOT a SUBARU. Thus, not a concern of mine. :hsnono:

20. wrxin8or

Posts are not being deleted at the request of anyone other than Alex to keep this thread on topic. Any post not on topic or relating to this topic, will be deleted.

21. UpSideDownDesi

UpSideDownDesi Active Member

:squint:eek:kay i get the point. Any updates on the compression test Biggis?

22. Galimore

Galimore Member

< Tuning noob. Do the Cobb Stage 1 & 2 maps do anything with CL/OL? (Say, for an '05 WRX :)). Hope this is on-topic enough.
    Sorry to hear about your troubles man - hope it all gets worked out.

23. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

its not just a cl/ol issue
    its timing and fuel as well

just imagine red hot metal douse with cold water repeatedly

24. dontcallitarex

dontcallitarex Active Member

This is what the new thread button is for. :)

But I think it will do something for the problem in the case of the 08s.

25. wrxin8or

Yes, the Cobb maps should fix your CL/OL delay, and yes the 05 WRX had some issues with that as well (not anything near what is happening right now, but a definite delay)

26. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

CL/Ol is only a small portion
    Tuners will fix it

not only when it switchse to OL or when it switches to CL
    what it switches to is more important

27. Biggis

Biggis Member

Update 2-11-09

Positive news!

SoG got me a loaner today (after a series of aggressive discontent phone calls) But a loaner none the less! At least I can stop spending money on this stuff for the moment.

I walked back to the shop with Neil and got the results of the compression test.

Piston -> pressure
    1-140
    2-140
    3-135
    4-25 :unamused:

They were pulling the engine earlier today and I imagine it is out of the car by now.

The people who make decisions as to what to put back into the car are coming on Friday or Monday.

Full short block :sx:

28. FACE

FACE Active Member

I would push for the long block and turbo :)

29. FACE

FACE Active Member

glad to hear you got in a loaner man

30. longfury

longfury Active Member

At this point, I would expect that the piston damaged the block. I would expect a short block at this point.

31. Dante

Dante Member

This thread is so damn depressing. Not just the car but the customer services aspects. :(

Glad you're getting it taken care of though (finally). Let's hope they don't find any other ways to screw you!

On a related note, I'm still loving my '08. Though it's been sitting at the airport for the majority of '09 :( Still, I'm hoping to order a set of sway bars this weekend and get ready for some spring driving! :rock:

32. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

I see a short block and gasket kit at most in your future.

33. FACE

FACE Active Member

Doug, Thanks for spending the time with me! I now understand quite a bit more about my car and appreciate the piece of mind.

Mike, I also appreciate the time you took with me as well.

It's nice to have friendly, helpful members like we do :hug:

34. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

[​IMG]

35. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

FWIW. Our 08 STI has been GREAT. Doug is correct in his assesment. We bought ours then drove it home easily (20 miles). I flashed it to the Cobb stage 1 map for the initial break in. Around 1500 miles the Cobb catted DP went on and the Cobb stage 2 map went in until the TopSpeed Siegel tune happened. 305whp and 369wtq later, you can't get the smile off of the wife's face. Our car uses ABSOLUTELY NO OIL between changes (3500 miles). There are ABSOLUTELY NO driveablity issues. The car is perfect.

The moral of the story is this, if you have no oil consumption on your 08+ STI get it over to TopSpeed ASAP and have all of your worries taken away.

And just an FYI, I did unmarry the AP in the dealership lot and have the reflash done and then flashed the stage 1 map back in afterwards in the dealership lot as well.;)

36. JDM-STI

JDM-STI Member

I got the REAL TopSpeed remedy. ;)

37. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Can I haz 08 STI?

38. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Glad to hear Doug is helping ease the problem. I was offering a free reflash as WJM was, but if Doug can take care of it for $50 that is still a really cheap solution from a known good source. Glad everyone is coming together to help out the community.

39. WJM

WJM Banned

^Plus Doug is doing more than the two of us would do...

40. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Great news :)

41. Demo24

Demo24 Member

Is that what causes the feeling of 'surging' or un-smoothness in power delivery? I really want to tune it to smooth that out, just not in the budget right now.

Glad you got a loaner!

42. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Yes it is. That kind of shudder you feel is it starting to get where it needs to be in open loop (starting to boost and raise cylinder pressures), but still running closed loop air fuel ratios (14.7).

43. wrxin8or

Thanks for the technical clarification dude!

44. Biggis

Biggis Member

2 weeks update.

Subaru still hasn't decided what to do to repair my car. Joy.

45. Galimore

Galimore Member

Lame, what did they give you to ride in?

46. Biggis

Biggis Member

09 base model legacy

Its nice enough. Not quite an STi though.

47. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

What is there to decide: Tear it down see what's broke replace broken part.......................

48. Batlground

Batlground Active Member

Man, what a terrible situation. I cant believe they have not fixed it under warranty. :(

On the bright side, you have a reason to build a motor and put a rotated kit on it if they dont fix it.

49. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Once again, the clock is ticking on lemon law repair time.
    At 30 days I would start asking for a check to make my car payment as well!!

From the Lemon Law code:

(4) during any period of 24 months or less or during any period in which the vehicle has been driven 24,000 miles or less, whichever occurs first, the vehicle is out of service by reason of repair of one or more nonconformities for a cumulative total of 30 calendar days, at least 15 of them during the lemon law rights period. If less than 15 days remain under the lemon law rights period when the new motor vehicle is first brought in for diagnosis or repair, the lemon law rights period as regards the problem to be diagnosed or repaired shall be extended for a period of 90 days.

50. FACE

FACE Active Member

Any word on your car bro? Good news I hope...

:sx:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.