BMW 135i

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Doug@DBW Motorsports, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

ONE MILLION TABLES!!!! mmmmwwwhhhaahhhaa

2. Doug@DBW Motorsports

In all seriousness though I do not know how many tables exactly are in the BMW. Since the BMW is such a new application and ecu people are still working on finding all the maps. As far as I know there are only maybe 3-4 companies in the US right now that have the ability to actually reflash the Siemens Ecu's in the BMW :)

The Bosch Ecu in the Porsch on the other hand has just over 400 usable tables and about 500 more that never need to be changed. It also allows for you to store multiple maps in ecu that you can switch between without having to reflash the car. Its actually really nice to be able to tune on one RAM file show the gains and changes and then switch over to another to verify the results, or should we say run a race gas map :)

3. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

i thought bit is the speed and MB is the storage

4. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

usually when people say 16 bit, 32 bit... that means thats how big the communication bus is..

I have no idea how anything could be a 2 Mega bit. Computers are 64 right now.

5. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Early 32-bit ROMs are 512kb in size, whereas later 32-bit ROMs are 1mb.
    16-bit:160kb in size, while others are 192kb

You are talking about ROM size there doug. 2MB would be the rom size, they are ALL 32 bit ECUs.

6. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

That's how it is with my R32. i can switch maps with my cruise control stalk. I have three maps on there now.

7. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

So you can't tune through the OBDII port? I thought there were tuners that can do this now?

8. Yes we can tune through the ODBII port. Doug's pictures was just showing the fun little gizzmo we got for those few ECU's that are not tunable through the ODBII. Or if someone else tried to lock us out ;)

9. Doug@DBW Motorsports

My mistake... oops. I stand corrected, thank you.

10. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Had a limited amount of time tonight to play with the 1. But so far just adjusting the tq limiting tables and upping the boost has netted some really good gains. Picking up just over 60whp at redline.

Car is completely stock right now with just the TopSpeed tune. I expect these number to increas as I get more in depth in the tune and start playing with timing, fuel, and some more boost.

Stay tuned!!!

11. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

very nice
    must feel like a diesel early in the pull :) 300Tq by 2k - pls someone wake me up

12. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

WOW. That thing is sick and is severely detuned. Looks like this engine has the potential to be the next 2JZ (sorta) with how much power can be had on a stock setup. What is the limit before having to tear into it?

13. Doug@DBW Motorsports

I totally expect to pull another 20-30whp out of her just like it sits with more playing around. Even being completely stock.

14. If you notice on the graph that at about 5700rpm the factory setup just falls off hard, and Doug's initial flash just holds the power alot better. From looking at the plot there is over a 60whp increase at 6500.

It looks really nice on a computer, but let me tell you the difference on the street is crazy. The car pulls so much harder on the big end! Before when you pulled second gear the car would get traction, I could totally feel that I was in the part of the powerband that fell off in every gear. Now when I pull second the car just re-lights the tires and rolls them all the way to redline. :D

By the time Doug is done with the TopSpeed ONE we are going to have to buy some bigger rubber :)

If I can step out of my roll as a part of TopSpeed for a second I would also just like to say how amazingly impressed I am with Doug's ability to tune a car. I mean the man had never seen a BMW ECU, and the thing is CRAZY complex. He sat in his office for a few hours on the computer and came back out with "I got a small initial map done" I am not trying to pitch TopSpeed here, I simply have to say that I am more impressed by this man's abilities and feel for a car by the day!

Ok...back to Mr. TopSpeed Cicio :D

Just wanted to throw in my .02...the other thing I realized is that we have not even gotten pictures of the car up for people to look at. I will try to do that tomorrow.

I know its not a WRX, but you guys still like hearing about it right? :)

15. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

How much are these cars?

16. $35,000 ish

17. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

Whats the AFR and timing at peak torque ? Boost curve ?
    Any chance of bumping the Peak torque

Thank you for the graph and excitement
    Very attractive

Any chance of HONDA ECU

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  18. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

You should have seen him when he tuned my buddies wagon. Doug remembers that car. BONE stock 02 pre-production wagon WRX. Only mods were exhaust, uppipe, APv2. This was the first wagon in the states. It never ran right on the OTS maps. It was always insanely rich.

Doug straps the car on the dyno after finishing my car and starts making pulls. Then he gets out and calls me over for help....we install a fuel pressure gauge. Doug noticed insane amounts of fuel from the get go. Pressure was dead on. However the car acted like it had bigger than STi pinks in them (remember this car is stock---I peeked at the injectors and they were blue as we were hoping maybe it's JDM or something). Doug had to start from scratch and redo that entire ECU and map it himself.

That stock turbo WRX made just as much power as the next car after it which had a VF39 on it. Whatever was in that car....it was sick for a stock turbo car on pump gas.

Cicio look up Derek Western and peak at the dyno sheet if you guys still have it.....that's essentially a Stage 2 car....impressive.

Doug showed us what he is capable of that day.....Derek still talks about that tune today even though he no longer owns the car and has a 2008 Civic Si now.

19. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I saw one on autotrader the other day....bone stock....$54k

20. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

You sure that wasn't a M3? The 135i starts at $36,050 brand new.

21. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Yeah but optioned out they are close to 60K....I just did it its actually 57k

22. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Never tried to option one out.

23. Yeah, if you hunt you can find the 08's for high 20's all day.

24. Thats crazy!

I have had my previous car tuned by the 4 MAJOR tuners in the Subaru world, and none of them even hint at compairng to Doug's. Now watching him use our new software that looks like complete greek to me (and I can tune a little on the AP software) is just awesome!

Next up Pepper! (The GT2) ;)

25. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

considering I was specifically looking for a 135i and I know the difference between the 2, yes, I'm sure.

26. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

Doug will you consider strapping my car on the D when my 16G and other stuff gets on the car ??? :)

27. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Sure

28. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Bump! Get a chance to play with the Bimmer any more?

29. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Yea.. its making some really good power now. :)

30. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

NICE! You gonna take me for a joy ride in it?

31. Joy rides all around!

32. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I will be up in a few weeks and demand a joy ride in both cars!

33. Absolutely! I am sure we will be giving a few rides during the meet next weekend.

34. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Have a break this morning before my tune gets her to play with the ONE. I am uploading a new file now put just wanted to post a quick update. Starting to turn the wick up more each time.

This was from my last file I uploaded, still only at 12psi. I am slowly working my way up to 15psi, stock was around 8-9psi.

[​IMG]

35. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Did you name the car Bunny? LOL

It's the ONE
    [​IMG]

36. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Why is torque right off idle so much lower? What has that done to the driveability of the car?

37. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

I am guessing that is because he started the run at a different point in the RPM range

38. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I agree...you can see where he started the pull later.

Sometime to keep in mind Doug....how about do each pull at the same rpm if you can for us noobs. :naughty:

39. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Just made a small change in the higher rpms runs I am going to make a few more changes and upload yet another file. So far I have probably 60hrs into searching and testing maps on the 135i.

But here are the results from my file last changes. You can see the improvement in the upper rpms from the changes I made.

Man I have to admit I love the development side of things...

Again this car is BONE STOCK, just a custom TopSpeed reflash.

[​IMG]

40. Doug@DBW Motorsports

yea... I just started the run later... I will do the next ones at the same time.

41. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Uh-ohh... almost reach 100whp gains at redline!!!

[​IMG]

42. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

More more

43. Doug@DBW Motorsports

I know... baby steps though.. I am turning it up a bit now :naughty:

44. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

[Matt Ball Dyno mode] MOAR! Don't be a pussy! More boost and more timing! [/dyno mode]

45. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Ok.. done on the dyno for now since I have a 2010 sti waiting to go on. But for the limited amount of time I have made huge improvements and discovered a lot of new things within the ecu. Gaining over 100whp now above 5.5k rpms.

Here is the final numbers from this test session, the car now will spend some time driven on the street to insure everything stays constant and perfect.

Again I am very impressed for the car being completely stock, but still not completely happy with the boost contol. I need to do some digging and searching in the raw file now to see if I can find the turbo dynamics maps.

[​IMG]

46. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

This is just awesome.

47. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

woo woo!

Now put a proper diff in that car!

48. ↑↑↑↑↑ Working on it ;)

49. WRXCoupe

WRXCoupe Active Member

Damn that sounds fun!