BP vs Shell vs QT

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by jyang, May 20, 2007.

1. jyang

jyang Member

So I filled up at a BP (Rockmart, GA coming back from skydiving) today and my car felt soooooooo smooooooooth ......................

I usually stop at Shell / QT but from now on I think I'll go to BP.

What are your experiences? Do u think its just this BP ?

2. Deke

Deke Active Member

I don't remember where it was, but some thread a month or so ago, everyone seemed to be bashing bp. Personally I've always had a good feeling car after using their gas. I think the general concensus though was that shell was the way to go.

I imagine it could be different from station to station as well (maybe quality of tanks and pumps?)

3. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

but Racetrac is soooo damn cheap!

I've usually liked Chevron but they are the most expensive.

4. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

^^ that's gangsta y0!

5. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

i try to use shell, but when theres a chevron i always go there

6. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

evos love shell.

7. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

i loveee chevron

8. sti-mike

sti-mike Member

I've always used Bp.

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Bp makes my car knock prematurely. Shell I don't knock.

10. AirMax95

AirMax95 Active Member

hmmmm....screw gas

11. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

Bp is smooth but it feels like your car doesnt pull as hard. QT is better than BP in my opinion, but chevron or shell beats them all. I remember telling this to my dad (he is a real estate licensee and he has a few listings for gas stations), and he says that the gas stations only borrow the name of the major company, and it is not necceasarly ture that they use that company's gas. So, in other words, one QT could be better than other. however, because i am a cheap @$$ i always find myself filling up at QT because they seems to have a reasonable price for a decent gas. but if i had the money, i`d fill up at shell everytime hehe.

12. amoco/Bp ultimate only on all my vehicles for 23 years. That is a lot of gas and $$

13. siegelracing

siegelracing Registered Vendor<br><b><font color="#666666">bion

Shell and Chevron are all that get my vote right now.

SS

14. fast shadow

fast shadow Member

Unless things have changed over the past 10 years (I used to work in a marina when I was in high school, and we had large gas and diesel tanks on site) fuel typically comes from the same source no matter which station you buy it from.

15. ptc075

ptc075 Member

That's funny, I was going to post the same thing. What little info I have says All the gas comes from the same place. About the only key difference is how it's stored & how long. A new station is going to have fresh tanks, which should mean less contaminants in the fuel. Similarly, a busy station should see a high turnover on gasoline, which means little time for any issues while sitting in the storage tanks. (What happens to gas anyway? Permeation? Separation?) Both these differences are very minor, but I'd more likely attribute any performance +/- to this than the name on the sign.

-Chris!

16. crashtke

crashtke Member Supporting Member

the gas itself may, but there are other concerns. There is the top tier rating system which includes:

Chevron, Conoco, Phillips, 76, Shell, Entec Stations, MFA Oil Company, Kwik Trip/Kwik Star, The Somerset Refinery, Inc., Chevron-Canada, Aloha Petroleum, Tri-Par Oil Company, Shell-Canada, Texaco, Petro-Canada, Sunoco-Canada.

These have a higher detergent level and standard of gas...one might notice that BP is not on the list. I only use Shell, Chevron, Texaco and QT. The other thing is QT has quality control on the amount of water in their system and cut off their pumps much sooner when the level of gas gets low. Further, the high volume places like QT also turn their gas over much quicker so it has less time to absorb water or lose octain. Just some thoughts. I won't put Race Track in my car...

17. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Ive been using Shell lately and the car has seemed to appreciate it.

18. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I usually fill up at QT but I was recently informed that QT buys the gas almost about to expire from the fuel company meaning its a few days from becoming "old" gas. Don't quote me on this cause I don't know how credible my source is, but this sounds about right considering QT is alot cheaper than Chevron. I still fill up at QT cause its one right by my house and I burn so much gas I rarely go a couple of days without having to fill up.

19. Ashley25

Ashley25 Member

I think people's personal opinion is their opinion and not much of what I have to say is going change it; however, here's my peace:

Not all gas comes from the same place

Shell, and another brand that I don't remember, had a prob a couple of months ago where some moisture got into there holding tanks and caused some serious issues with the cars that got it

BP is Amoco gas and that gas is very reputable and has been around for a while

Chevron is by far the best, too much to explain, but you can research on the internet

**********BE CAREFUL WITH CHEAP GAS**********
    A friend of mine was running low on gas in his STi so he stopped at what we now affectionately refer to as Shitco. He was on his way home, didn't want to get stuck in traffic, so he stopped at the closest place just for $5 worth to get him home. $400 and 1 week later he got his car back. I don't remember exactly what the diagnosis was but I remember that the technician said that it was caused by bad gas!

Happy driving...

Oh and remember, you drive a Subaru...it deserves the best!!!

20. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

Another tip about gas station

NOT all Shell Gas station is not THE SAME. Once the initial contract is done with Shell, the gas station owner can buy gas whenever he/she wants as long as the gas station keeps up with current Shell promotions. (ex. Shell credit card) The initial contracts can be 5-10yrs. which means AVOID older Shell gas station.

I'm pretty sure that this applies to BP, Chevron, and other major brands as well. (except QT & Race track which are owned by main corporate)

21. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I don't think it matters what gas you use. If you have a car modified to the ragged edge and you don't pay attention to what is going on in the engine then you don't deserve that car. I monitor mine all the time. I think people should have some form of datalogger, and some external tools.

For instance, I have access to a wideband....working on getting one permanently for my car. I also have a knock light that works really well. I data log and monitor the delta dash from time to time especially when I try a new gas station. If you car likes the gas and the knock correction and timing is where it's supposed to be then good. If not then find a better gas supplier.

That's the only reason my car still runs like a champ ;) It's a combination of a good safe tune and a good cautious driver....know your facts and all and everything will work out fine.

22. WJM

WJM Banned

it does not matter where you get gas from.

Gas is gas.

However, when filling up with 93...make sure you purchase a large amount of 93 (more than 8 gal at a time) such that you have a higher concentration of 93.

If you pull up and only intend on getting a few gallons of 93, and the previous user was getting 87....you are going to be getting about 1~2 gallons of 87. That means if you get 4 gallons...you are getting a 50/50 mix. No good.

So make sure that on small amounts, you find a pump that the last user got 93. Otherwise, wait until later and fill up (10+ gals).

Also, all fuels come from the same place. Different companies use different additives. But in the end, its all the same.

23. I'm Slow

I'm Slow Member

I love shell

24. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Ditto. That's why I ride until the low light comes on. When it gets that low I don't beat on the car for insurance.

25. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

nothing but BP for the minivan

26. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

i gas up where its cheapest...except not some hole in a wall gas station. car runs fine on it all...no better, or worse.

27. FACE

FACE Active Member

I have always used bp amoco gas for many years with no issues at all. If the station has pumps for each grade this should not be an issue...right???:naughty:

28. WJM

WJM Banned

you mean separate HOSES/NOZZLES for each grade...yes, no issues there.

29. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

I just wanted to chime in on the top tear rating. I think to get top tear the gas provider must have certain amount of additives and cleaners in all levels of their gas. From what I have read is that Amaco/BP does not have a top tear rating because their 87 octane does not have the required additives. So, if you are putting that crap in your car you shouldn't be reading this thread anyway. I've had good luck with BP, and actually had about 1mpg drop using shell for a month. Not much, but I switched back to BP. I didn't really notice a performance difference between the two. I do love the kangaroo 100 octane up in gwinett though!

30. FACE

FACE Active Member

only 93 or up for burch face...any thoughts on octane busters from anyone???

31. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

From what I've seen they only go up about one octane, so they don't have enough to prevent knock in my tune. I need 100 octane. Although, I have not tried any of them. I'd rather drive to get 100 octane at 5.99 a gallon.

32. FACE

FACE Active Member

Where all can you get higher than 93...I live in marietta and haven't seen any...not that I have been looking that hard...???

33. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

you know that BP gas has sulfer in its gas.....:hsnono:

34. FACE

FACE Active Member

:squint: sorry next post.......

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  35. FACE

FACE Active Member

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  36. Dr.Chris

Dr.Chris Member

The only place that I found that sells it at the pump is up 985 to exit 11. Make a right off the exit and it is the first station on the right. It's a Citgo with a Kangaroo store. If you are looking at the station from the road the 100 octane pump is on the right, I think the last pump. The only other choices sell 5 gallon drums for about $50. I think Dynolab in Marietta or the dirt track off 92 in woodstock sell it. Hope that helps...
    Chris