Build a 2.2 closed deck?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by outbacksprt, Jul 13, 2015.

1. outbacksprt

outbacksprt Member

No I'm not talking about buying a fully closed deck 2.2L. I'm talking about building a 2.2 closed deck.

Okay your all probably wondering what the heck I'm talking about.
    As of recently I have come to the conclusion of possibly building a 2.2L. How you ask? simple really..

I was thinking of taking the famous 2.5L block and getting it shipped off.
    http://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/engine_blocks.htm

From there I was curious that if you got a 2.0 crank yes I know it would originally make it a 2.3L.. If you were to sleeve the block though or even just run different pistons you could lower the compression even more making it eventually a 2.2L

Turbo 2.0 L
    Bore × Stroke mm (in) 92 × 75 (3.62 × 2.95)
    Compression ratio 8.0±0.2

STi
    Bore × Stroke 99.5 × 79 (3.92 × 3.11)
    Compression ratio 8.2±0.2

I'd pull up a 2.2 closed deck but Subaru apparently wont give me that information

I'm willing to get a good conversation going as I'm interested in what everyone else would do to make say a 22B. I know the way I'm thinking of is a expensive build yes and could find a 2.2 closed deck a million times cheaper.

so lets hear how everyone would attempt something like this. Maybe even choose a different route?

2. Justin V

Justin V Member

there's one sitting in my garage in need of tear down inspection and bearings replaced.

I like the idea so I bought one.

3. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Cheaper in the long run to just do what is already proven and works.....2.5L.

4. b reel

b reel Active Member

Closed deck does nothing for the hammering of bearings and the bursting of ringlands

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  5. Justin V

Justin V Member

Yeah it does, it requires you to use oversized pistons, which will most likely be forged, because it distorts the bores.

I did it because it reduced the crank angle and sideloading therefore ovaling of cylinders, had a longer TDC dwell time to reduce detonation and provide a more complete burn, and I liked the linear power band over the peaky cliff.

Only reason mine cam out was because of oil pressure... which I couldn't find anything wrong with the pump after getting it apart.

6. outbacksprt

outbacksprt Member

B reel I understand what your getting at I do. I was looking at making a possible 2.2 closed deck with a turbo for the reason of I might be getting a 2.5RS soon and was really contemplating making a 22B.

Superhawk, your right as a 2.5l would be cheaper in the long run. but even a 2.5l can not withstand major power without modification to the block. I'm not looking for major power out of the thing I just want something not everyone says they have. I've always strive for something people don't have or have that much of. I like having unique things.

So back to the subject. Yes, Ring lands are a major failure for a 2.5 or any turbo for that matter with a Subaru. There are ways to keep ring land failure from happening. I've heard of some, none of which I can remember to bring up at this moment. Most built blocks have bigger oil passages causing less bearing failure. Ring lands are still a failure only to the point of forged pistons can give slightly better clearance for rings. There are many options to counteract failures with the right amount of time.

7. b reel

b reel Active Member

22B is 96.9mm bore by 75mm stroke, same as the 91-94 USDM Legacy turbo case. Had Arai forged pistons@ 8.1:1 compression, STI V4 heads with sodium filled exhaust valves with mild port work and gasket matched. Had one off red cam gear covers and a VF-23 BB turbo

8. b reel

b reel Active Member

I have a early Phase I type-RA case going to the machine shop tomorrow for the rear main thrust mod so I can run my Phase II rotating assembly.

Oil-squirters and ceramic coating FTW

same case as what the Grp A and Grp N cars run, only difference is the EJ257 crank for that extra 0.18L of displacement

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  9. b reel

b reel Active Member

Closed-deck is just added security, strength and stability at TDC. You'll still make the bore look like a barrel () with detonation under high boost... which can lead to ring and ring-land failure with the larger piston to cylinder wall clearance. Bearing failure is caused by heat, detonation, debris, bad tolerances... or any combo but usually the first two if not by some ringland parts killing them first. Actually the first two go hand in hand so if you have high EGT's at the exhaust ports then plan on a new build or new car soon after.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  10. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Such an inaccurate claim. I know of so many with 400-550 hp on bone stock 2.5L engine and lasting well over 100,000 miles. I think the real magic is in the owner of the car, maintenance, common sense, and a good tune.

11. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

521whp here 20+k miles and rolling. Open deck, stock sleeves. Stock head gasket.