Call Me Cheap, But DAMN

Discussion in 'General Community' started by Silver Surfer, Apr 24, 2007.

1. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

As always we can use my lot for this.

2. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

I posted a link with ALL of the Scheduled Maintainence requirements on Pg 3, Post #22 of this thread. Flip back and click

3. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

Wondering when you were gonna volunteer your house for the spot!

But I think there might be too many people coming to help/be helped for your driveway.
    AND Road Atlanta sounds like a blast. Wish I could get that day off too:wtc:

Guess I'll have to be satisfied wit Drift Atlanta:D

4. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

:bowdown: Cool!

Where exactly is it?
    I'll post this as the Locale Suggestion

Any for or against this?

5. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

I'm available any Sunday and defintiely would feel comfortable with a smaller group at Peds if/whenever he's down...:sx: :coolugh:

6. WJM

WJM Banned

Yeah, just dump it all out (let it drip until no more drippy) and then refil with a 50/50 mix. 1 gal of coolant and 1 gal of water does the trick.

Timing belts on ALL EJ engines are due at 105,000 per the owners/service manual.

We usually do the tbelt with the 90k service...as for normal customers its inconvenient to do the 90k and then at 105k have another service.

If someone is trying to sell you a tbelt at anything before 90k miles...walk away.

7. V_WRX

V_WRX Member

I'm usually available on weekends, but right now i'm busy with finals until after may 13.

8. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

Cool.
    pEd's Garage is now on the list as a possible locale

COPY OF UPDATED LIST

Any suggestions on where and when?
    TIME SUGGESTIONS:
    Sunday May 6th?
    Sat or Sun May 19-20th?
    LOCALE SUGGESTIONS:
    Calmnothing's Lot?
    pEd's Garage?

Needs Help
    Silver Surfer(60K)
    savsuby
    scooby_snacks
    AXLEJOHNSON
    Nitro
    Kolgoth
    SubiNoobi(30K)
    AWD Tiger(90K)

Just Wants to Help
    pEd(sorry, you've been drafted, don't try duckin out to Canada neither)
    jkass85(thanks bro)
    Brian(tentative)
    Kolgoth
    1ll-WRX

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  9. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

You Need Help or do you Want to Help?

10. scooby_snacks

scooby_snacks Active Member

He wants to help.

11. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

I need help (in so many ways;) )....and will help as well(hopefully:sx: )...

Is there a list that someone could compile that includes what to get from SOG for this?

12. SubiNoobi

SubiNoobi Supporting Member

I am in need of 30k service soon, there's a lot of the same stuff, you can put me down on both lists.

13. AWD_Tiger

AWD_Tiger Member

Im at 90k and most of the stuff is the same for 90 and 60. I could most likely make it to either sunday, but not sat. the 19th (i have class). i can help work on the other cars too.

Thanks

14. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

Ok, since I see we have such an eager group of people I'm gonna change the lists to "Needs Help" and "Just Wants to Help."

Because when I think about this, after I get done wit my car or before I start my car, however we set it up, I would definitely help the guy next to me in whatever way I can.

That should clear up the list confusion I'm having.
    Hard to organize lists and enjoy your recreational drugs:420:

J/K Bluetwo:coolugh:

15. V_WRX

V_WRX Member

You got me on the list twice now, lol

16. scooby_snacks

The weekend of the 6th I definately can't make, got a test on the Monday and will still be at UGA over the weekend. Can you move the list to the front page so it's easier to check up on?

17. SubiNoobi

I'm gonna vote for sunday the 6th, or sunday the 20th

18. calmnothing

calmnothing Shlimp Flied Lice Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure I'm available on both those days. But if I'm not then the lot will still be avilable for you guys to use.

19. Nitro

Nitro Active Member

Edit........i will be helping too.....believe that:naughty:

20. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

Where is the lot?

21. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

the 6th might be too early to gather the parts in time.....some they might have to order at SOG?

22. socrates42

socrates42 Member

i need help!

23. socrates42

socrates42 Member

20th would be better

24. scooby_snacks

Sunday May 20th works better for me aswell.

25. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Ooh, I may be able to make it on the 20th as well.

26. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

Names added.
    Date strongly suggested.
    Any objections or ideas?

List Updated
    Vote for location!
    TIME SUGGESTIONS:
    Sunday May 20th
    LOCALE SUGGESTIONS:
    Calmnothing's Lot?(MARIETTA)
    pEd's Garage?(CUMMING)

Needs Help
    Silver Surfer(60K)
    savsuby
    scooby_snacks
    AXLEJOHNSON
    Nitro
    Kolgoth
    SubiNoobi(30K)
    AWD Tiger(90K)
    socrates42
    1ll-WRX(60K)

Just Wants to Help
    pEd(sorry, you've been drafted, don't try duckin out to Canada neither)
    jkass85(thanks bro)
    Brian(tentative)
    Kolgoth

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  27. socrates42

socrates42 Member

Doing a 60k on mine

28. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

Need help (60k)

29. D_K

D_K Member

wait so is there a document or a manual that tells you services that needs to be done every certain mile?

30. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

31. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

I'm off on the 20th, so I vote for that Sunday.
    Anyone else?

Also, can we make a decision on the location?
    Calmnothing's Lot(Marietta) or pEd's Garage(Cumming)?

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  32. SubiNoobi

bump for votes

33. scooby_snacks

Where are these 2 different locations?
    \

34. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

I was going to suggest that maybe we split this up.
    I'm up in Cumming, and Wes's lot is over in Marietta.
    Not sure that's best, but it may offer more options to those that don't want to drive very far.

35. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

yeah Marietta would be kinda far but it'd be worth the drive I'm sure

36. scooby_snacks

Marietta is much closer for me. I probably couldn't make it out to the cumming one. Either way, whatever is best for everyone else.

37. SubiNoobi

I vote marietta

38. deputychino

deputychino New Member

I just got my 60k service done last Wed.(May 2nd) at Troncalli Subaru for $630.66 out the door. It's still a crap load of money, but not as bad as the 800 bones SoG quoted you.

39. scooby_snacks

Having gone over that list, it seems everything I needed replacing has been replaced fairly recently. Asides from the brake fluid, I'll just need the inspections.

40. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

That's 3 votes for Marietta and 2 for Cumming.

Which is looking like we are porbably gonna end up going with pEd's idea of splitting the g2g up in these 2 different locations on the same day.

Any one for or against this idea?
    If so, can we make sure we get an even ratio of helpers to helpees? (we need like 8 polls for this:wtc:)

41. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

No need to worry about help on my side.

42. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

As always, thank you. Will "The Wife" be ok with us clamoring around in the garage again, stealing all the coffee?:rofl:

43. socrates42

socrates42 Member

sorry guys, I am not going to be able to make it, I am going to Savanah with the GF that weekend. Have fun though! and if anyone can take notes (with pics) of the 60k service so I can do it myself at a later date it would be greatly appreciated.

Have fun!

44. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

I vote for Ped's, and also could we make a list of what we need to purchase before (i.e. spark plugs, fluids, etc.) I am not really sure of what all is necessary, thanks.

45. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

I'll talk to the guys at SoG and see if they can't give me a better parts list than the ones I keep having to piece together from the internet

46. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

Sorry to be a little late to the party here. I did this on my car when I bought it a few months ago and like others balked at the $500+ for the service. Plus, it was a great way to get to know my car and learn some of this stuff.

Hard to tell how long it took me as I did it very piecemeal as I had time. The wife complained about the time it took. I just had to keep reminding her how much $ we were saving. I would guess 10 hours total but that was taking my time.

The parts I bought from Troncalli in Cumming were:
    Oil filter and washer (bought 2 of each)
    4 spark plugs (these were very expensive -I think about $15 each)
    Air filter
    3 bottles (pints?) brake fluid
    1 gal coolant
    1 bottle of coolant conitioner (maybe not needed for my '02)
    5 quarts gear oil (4 qt for trans, 1 qt for rear diff) (they gave this to me in a coolant bottle from their 20 gal drum)
    wiper blades (all 3)
    fuel filter

From Advanced Auto:
    PCV valve
    oil suction pump (for rear diff) (this made it possible, but still very messy) (BTW, gear oil stinks!)
    5 qt bottle of Mobile 1 10-30 (actually from Wal Mart)
    Techron fuel cleaner

The 2 hardest jobs were the spark plugs (Busted knuckles and all) and the PCV valve. Intercooler was a pain to get back on. Also PCV valve was very tight and almost did not get it off due to access. I am very glad I did the PCV valve as it was pretty sticky.

I got all info I needed from various forums (NASIOC, I club, Club WRX), butt the most valuable was from the service manual that can be downloaded here. It has a maintenance guide.

Coolant was very slow to drain (1.5 hrs - yes the radiator cap was off) and slow to refill. I took my time with the refill to avoid trapped air. I think it took about an hour to refill. It is very slow to bubble down from the filler area.

Due to demands with the kids, can't commmit to helping the group on the 20th, but would be happy to answer any questions. I will also review my parts list / receipt from Troncalli Subaru to make sure I did not miss anything.

I decided not to internet order parts as I did not want to wait and pay shipping. I think by total at troncalli was about $200 (incl wiper blades) plus the few things at advance auto.

47. AXLEJOHNSON

AXLEJOHNSON Member

^^Thanks David, by the way what happened to the "thank you" button?

48. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

How was the fuel filter install? And what are the best plugs for our cars? Right now I'm running NGK Iridium Spark Plugs (one step colder heat).

49. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

As far as plugs, I just used what I got from Subaru. I think they were NGK but not positive.

The fuel filter wasn't too bad. The hoses were a bit hard to get off. I think i used a hair dryer to soften them a bit (seemed a bit unsafe with a hair dryer + gas, but it worked out). Make sure not to tighten the clamps too much and cut into the lines.

One other note, last night I took the MAF sensor off and "cleaned" it. Actually it was not dirty at all. I sprayed it with contact cleaner (plastic safe) just for the heck of it.

50. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Member

Coming up this weekend ladies and gents. Does everybody have an oppurtunity to get all the parts they need? Check the list and go out and everything you need.

Think we finalized a time/date, at least for one group. Going to be at pEd's house this Sunday May 20th.
    What time is good for you pEd?

What's the plans for the other group? This Sunday at the lot?
    Post up and let me know something

Thanks

Mods: Should we move this to the G2G forum or something? Fuzzy on the rules on that...