Part Review Cobb accessPort v2 stage 1 review

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by Holc13WRX, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

Hey guys,

Im writing this review for anyone that is on the fence about getting an accesport like I was.

Here is a little background: I traded in my 2005 350z for a 2013 WRX December 7th 2013 with 7,292 miles on it. I drove to Nashville to get it, and it was absolutely immaculate.
    I have already put about 3,000 miles on it, and have loved every minute of it!

I was actually going to hold out a few more months before purchasing an AP, and buy it with some performance parts that required it, but I happened to find a used V2 from a seller willing to send proof of it being unmarried from his car.

I ended up paying $350 for it, and IMO it was worth every penny!

So I got the AP in the mail on Saturday, and plugged it straight into my computer and upgraded the firmware, and downloaded the manual from Cobbs website.

The installation was super easy, and took about 10 minutes. I loaded up a stage 1 map (no other mods to my car completely stock).

I live in Midtown so I took it out for a drive, but didnt have much room to open her up... I did get to do a 2 nd gear pull, and felt it pull stronger...

Sunday I went to alpharetta, so I really got to test out this OTS stage 1 map. AND WOW! I'm blown away by the power left on the table by the fatory tune.

1 st gear : Feels about the same
    2nd gear : Noticible difference. Car pulls a bit harder, and the powerband (3000- 6500 RPM) is MUCH smoother than the factory tune. No more hesitation!

3rd gear: HUGE DIFFERENCE. Powerband is wayyyy more smooth, and my car pulls much harder.

4th gear: Truly blew me away. Felt like a different car on the highway!

5th gear : Didn't redline 5th gear:rofl: maybe someday lol. I like having my license!

While on the way back from Alpharetta, I pulled up next to a fantastic looking EVO 9 (Black, lowered, Top speed sticker on window, very loud) and we ended up getting on the highway next to eachother, and I was able to stay with him up on the highway which made me :keke:

All in all I am super happy with purchase, and would recommend the purchase even with no other modications like myself. I'm modding slowly so I can always appreciate where I am at with my car.

Notes: This is all opinion, and every car is different. This has just been my experience... This is not mind numbing power increase, but IMO makes a fantastic difference over stock. The difference is very noticeable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  2. Andr3w

Andr3w Member

Awesome! The Cobb AP was my first mod as well! Great purchase

3. KGraska

KGraska Member

Congrats on the extra power!! If you think the stage 1 map is good, just wait til you go with a downpipe and stage 2.....you're gonna be grinning from ear to ear haha.

4. Holc13WRX

I've heard that stage 2 is a far better increase, so it is taking all of the restraint I have not to order a downpipe right now! I'm trying to spread out the mods a little bit haha

I'm looking forward to it!

5. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Awesome car! AP is an awesome upgrade... and yes, stage 2 is gonna really be awesome, and then pro-tune if you get any upgrades out of the norm....

6. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

Which is precisely what I do every time I drive my car, or even just think about it ;)

7. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Not tease your need for mods any further (actually I guess I am), but Rally Sports is having a spring sale if you want to pick up the DP. Looks like it would be about 450 for the catted two bung divorced.
    I basically went the same route as you and was VERY pleased with the AP stage 1…but I couldn't wait any longer and found a pretty good sale on an Invidia down pipe so I went stage 2. :wiggle:

8. Holc13WRX

Yes this is a tease BTW haha. Thanks for the heads up! I was leaning towards getting the cobb DP just because the OTS map from cobb is designed for it... Has anyone on here run the stage 2 AP map with an invidia dp?

The best deal I have found on the cobb was about $550... I have heard very good things about invidia, but I am concerned about the map on the AP. I'm not really looking to get a protune in the near future, as I was going to wait until i put a few more mods on the car.. any thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  9. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

I am running the stage 2 map with Cobb AP. I have the Invidia catted DP and aftermarket exhaust. No problems so far!

As far as I know, the Cobb map it made for ANY DP. I believe the testing and power gains they show on their site were obiviously done with the Cobb DP though.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, because I am still very new at this.

Make sure you have the most up to date maps too. I found out about a month ago they are now up to version 3.33. A firmware update will not pick that up so you have to download the map from the Cobb site and load it onto the AP.

10. Holc13WRX

Well I just found an awesome deal on an invidia dp may be buying it today...

:sx:

11. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Love this quote "I'm modding slowly"... lol.. Don't worry, we've all said that at some point in our Subaru years.

12. mothespaceman

mothespaceman Member

I loved my AP while I had my WRX! Definitely an excellent first mod.

13. Holc13WRX

The modding slowly thing isn't working out very well. Haha another goody going on tomorrow!

14. Sixth_Vang

Sixth_Vang Member

Hurry up and go stage 2 :)

15. Holc13WRX

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014