Coolrex is down for the count :(

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Cool_____, Nov 14, 2007.

1. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

I have never driven one, but I'm sure I would really like it. I don't speed on public roads, so the improved gearing through 4th would be awesome for every day driving. For a dedicated racer, 5th might be too short considering how long 4th is.

2. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Screen shot and then host that image?

3. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

the 07 box is better than all of the previous but that doesn't make it the greatest thing since sliced bread. With any real power the shift from 4th to 5th is to short. I would spend the extra money and get the spec b tranny but thats me.

4. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Not everyone is a big baller! I'm not down talking but you sound very hostile there. Each has their own opinions.

Just like Milo said, my car is not going to be drag raced anymore...those days are over. This is gonna be purely a street car that I will enjoy. That being said 4th winds out at 118mph....that's plenty.

5. slowwrx

LOL, I don't sound very hostile at all, I'm just letting you know what my experince has been. Its not 4th thats the problem its 5th. If its a daily and you aren't worried about drag racing it then why even get an 07 why not just get a older 6 speed.

6. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Because the older 6 speeds SUCK and that's my opinion. I want the better ratios but there's a limit. I don't track the car and I'm not drag racing it. But I do want to make power and lots of it but I don't want to stay in a gear for less than a second. The 07 ratios are dramatically better and suit me perfect. It's all personal preference.

7. slowwrx

Thats cool good luck

8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Haha I'm not bashing ya man!

I'm going with your or should I say Dan's GT30R turbo. With the Hydra controlling it, it should spool faster than your car did since I can run no MAF and a much bigger intake. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out. I just hope Scott tunes it as well as yours ;) (wasn't your car tuned kinda aggressive or was that only that pump gas only map?)

9. slowwrx

You will have to ask Scott how aggresive the map was. Aggresive is diffrent for everyone.
    It was safe to run on One Lap and thats what I asked for

10. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

What resulted in the spun bearing? Wondering if it was aggressive tuning or you not changing the oil *ducks and runs*

11. slowwrx

There was no spun bearing just bearing damage, I suspect the bearing damage was from a combination of Meth and 10k track miles. Its pretty hard to damage a bearing with tuning. You could damage it with detonation but I would imagaine the stock piston would give up before that would happen on a stock motor.

12. WJM

WJM Banned

Oh yeah...the piston would break long before the bearing getting flattened out. If you had 4032 or 2618 forged pistons...then I would be more concerned about a rod breaking from det. before a bearing getting flattened.

13. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

All parts are at Fred Beans Subaru. They are coordinating with Fedex freight so everything should be shipping out on Monday or Tuesday! Whoo-hoo!

14. GTscoob

You get that driveshaft from your bro yet? Thanks again for buying that, its just been sitting around forever and I plug that its for sale everytime I hear about a blown 5spd.

15. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

No THANK YOU for getting up or staying up till my lazy bro rolled through town to pick it up. You saved me so much trouble in getting it. I haven't seen it yet as I'm in NY for Thanksgiving with the wife's family but I just talked to my bro and said it's lying beside the car waiting for it's new home!

16. GTscoob

No problem, get your car back together ASAP and give me a ride!

17. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I have a nice CLEAN SHINEY 6MT in the back of the truck....LMAO

I told my buddies if I can't drive it in the car now....I'm gonna freaking drive around with it!

Hopefully it's up and running this weekend. I waiting on Subaru Extra-S fluid and the 6MT tranny mount to come in.

18. GTscoob

What are you doing for a rear diff? R180 or ring and pinion swap in the R160?

19. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Stock. With the 2006 and 2007 STi you don't have to touch the rear end. Both are 3.454.

20. WJM

WJM Banned

21. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Doh got my numbers backwards.

22. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Well everything will be in tonight! Tomorrow I go get the Subaru Extra S fluid and I'll be riding and grinning ear to ear.

23. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Well the six speed is installed but I'm missing two critical pieces.

35046FE010-joint
    633046020-spring pin

It's what the shifter connects to the tranny with. DARN sooooo close! It'll be a few more days and I'll be sporting a 6 speed. :ddirty:

24. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

Good luck!! I know how it feels to be w/out a subie for a while...it's like torture lol. I hope it all goes well.

25. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Nothing like being held up by $50 in odd parts..

26. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Joint has been ordered and is already on it's way. $47 shipped. Should be rocking a 6 speed Wednesday I hope!

27. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Nice dude. I'm going to be jealous of your longer gears :)

28. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'm jealous of your 2.5L and SZ65!

29. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

2 sided jealousy is not good. How bout we trade transmissions and the jealousy will be one sided :D

30. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

:rofl::rofl::rofl: that would make your day wouldn't it!

:ddirty:

31. johnswrx

johnswrx Member

Sorry I didn't get you the parts list..... I forgot all about it until I read this. Man
    Sorry it didn't work out for ya though. That sucks!!!

32. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

WJM (the guy that did the install on your current car) hooked me up with the parts list. It added up a lot. Just the parts alone were gonna be $5500 ballpark. Then you needed someone who knew what they were doing to install the LSD and speedo stuff. The 2007 STi trans was the same price as the Legacy Spec B one (both were $3500 for just the transmission) and the STi has the LSD and DCCD installed already! It was a no brainer at that point!

33. johnswrx

johnswrx Member

Well atleast you did get another transission. Thats what matters the most. i wouln't know what to do if something like that happened to me. hope everything goes well with the install!

34. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Update! I haz a 6 speed and it's def an 2007 tranny. 118 mph at 7000 rpms in 4th gear.

Breaking in the clutch now. I'mma go drive the car some more......I'll get details tomorrow.

35. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

awesome

36. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Man I LOVE how crisp the shifts are and how short the short throw shifter is. This car is a different beast now.

37. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

What about redline in 5th :eek:hnoes:

What speed did you reach at redline in 4th with the PPG's?

38. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

The PPG's are the same as stock 5 speed.

redline in 5th is gonna have to wait. I'm almost out of methanol and need to refill which I will do tomorrow.

39. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

40. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Roughly cost was $5100. EVERYTHING was brand new minus the driveshaft which I got for $100 and is a automatic WRX driveshaft.

****KEEP IN MIND THIS WILL ONLY WORK FOR 02-05 WRX**** 06-07 owners more is needed for the rear end.

32000-AJ350 2007 STi transmission
    805329010 Circlips *need 2
    38415AA110 stubs *need 2
    806730041 oil seal *each side is different
    806730042 oil seal *each side is different
    C1010FE004 short shifter
    35046FE010 -shifter joint
    633046020-spring pin
    4.1 quarts of Subaru Extra S gear oil

6MT clutch and pressure plate kit
    6MT flywheel
    Either STi or automatic driveshaft

You will need to swap your speedo sensor (simply screws out) and swap the rear O2 harness over as the STi harness has the DCCD incorporated into the same plug so it won't plug into the stock wiring.

HUGE THANKS TO GTScoob and WJM! GTScoob got up in the wee hours of the morning to meet my brother who convienently was passing through Atlanta on the way home for Thanksgiving. You saved me a ton of headache there. Then I can't pass nearly enough thanks to WJM for all of his help, research, and advice in my quest of doing my homework so to speak. Thanks a ton buddy! Enjoy that busted 5 speed of mine!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  41. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Oh Mike.....5th 138mph. I'm NOT doing that again!

42. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

Well, all you need to do is drive at 3500rpm in 5th and double the speed :)

43. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Never thought of that.....is that really accurate? You're Dr. Milo for a reason!

44. FACE

FACE Active Member

:fawk:

My 06 is 101 at the end of 4th :wtc:

6th gear anyone :eek:hnoes:

45. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

If you read the EXACT speed at 3500 and double it, it will give you the EXACT speed at 7000. However, any error you make in reading the speed at 3500 will also double.

46. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

nice, isn't it ;)

47. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

This tranny is a simple pleasure to drive. 6th gear winds out at 178 mph using Milo's method. I was reading the DeltaDash too so that's accurate.

48. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

what?

49. GTscoob

Should be more accurate than looking at the tach/speedo since both get way out of calibration towards redline and in the upper speeds.

Glad to hear everything is working out for you, hopefully you wont gain too much time at the strip with the added gear change.

50. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I think the car may be faster. There is virtually no lag now.

I have a DSM buddy that I used to race around with going 30mph - 100 mph. WIth the old 5 speed he would stay dead beside me until 60mph when I started picking him off. At 100 mph he would be 1 car behind me. Now at 30 mph, I almost immediately pull him a good 1 1/2 - 2 cars and at 100 mph I'm 3 - 3 1/2 cars ahead of him. He still doesn't believe that he only change was a transmission. It's a beautiful thing.