crazyazn's 2006 STI 'abbey'

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by crazyazn, Mar 12, 2014.

1. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

Well I've been on here for a bit, and while I'm waiting for some work to finish I figure I'll give this journal thing a try.

Well I bought my '06 March 13, 2010 (hmm almost 3 years old yay) with 19,500 miles, and my little sister immediately named it 'Abbey' in her tradition of naming all my cars. I'm still back and forth on naming cars despite being 3 cars in, but its easier than saying 'impreza wrx sti' :rofl:

Anyways, I got it with rota dpt's and a set of oem bbs' (beat up winter wheels).

Since I'm a visual guy I'll just start throwing in pictures now..

After the first car wash and detail..
    [​IMG]
    JML_8364 by thelucid1, on Flickr

Some more of the early days...

[​IMG]
    Subie_garage_shoot-1 by thelucid1, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    STI struttin' like a boss by thelucid1, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    Basking in the sunset by thelucid1, on Flickr

Hanging out at a Tuesday Dinner meet..
    [​IMG]
    WRXatlanta_group_62811-2 by thelucid1, on Flickr

And one of my most favorite shots of my car...
    [​IMG]
    Wish upon a star by thelucid1, on Flickr

Then sometime last year, with the idea of avoiding rock damage from driving behind Robb on a Tail of the Dragon run, I bought 3 gallons of plasti-dip and ended up with this..
    [​IMG]
    'Abbey' Compilation by thelucid1, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    Fall sight seeing by thelucid1, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    Amonst the leaves by thelucid1, on Flickr

Ok the mod list (because i see people do this on such journals):

Engine
    Invidia v3 divorced and catless downpipe
    SPT catback exhaust
    cobb heat shield :rofl:
    Open source stage 2 tuned by Doug at Topspeed

Drivetrain
    Group N Transmission mount
    Whiteline Positive Shift Kit
    TIC 'Unabomber's Sexy Rear End' bushings

Suspension/Brakes
    RCE Tarmac 2 coilovers 500lb front 400lb rear springs
    Eibach sways (too freaking small diameter)
    Perrin solid (pillow ball) endlinks
    Whiteline ALK
    Whiteline Rollcenter Kit
    DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors
    Hawk HP+ Pads
    ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  2. crazyazn

Then unfortunately the unthinkable happened...
    While driving on a country road, and thankfully at speed limit, I fell into a ditch (short story of it).
    Ended up crumpling the passenger front quarter panel, bent the front passenger control arm, broke the faux v-limited lip and cracked the bumper. Along with bending one Tarmac 2 coilover and cracking a rota DPT.
    The worse part was denting the sheet metal on the driver's side rocker panel.

Broke some things, had my life actually flash before my eyes, and learned that Plasti-Dip is surprisingly durable..

Parked at Allpro for Brandon and Wes to look over and do their magic...
    [​IMG]

Why I'm certain I am done with rota wheels..
    [​IMG]

Then it took a bit to strip the dip off and get back to normal and send it out for body work.
    [​IMG]

I took the car to Classic Livery of Atlanta to have Bryson and his team fix the damage, and also do some transformations to the car.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  3. crazyazn

4. Allpro Subaru

Allpro Subaru Registered Vendor Supporting Member

Can't wait to finally see those on!!!

5. Drowland87

Drowland87 Staff Member Supporting Member

295/30/18 that's a hell of a roll/flare, and it sounds sexy!

6. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

Taking the Engine/HP further in response to the massive width? or making the most of what you already have?

Extreme increase :)

7. jchon3

jchon3 Supporting Member

Feel like its been AGES!
    Can't wait to see the final product!

8. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Ooooh. That looks like an awesome choice.

9. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

This is going to be epic...

10. crazyazn

Yes, its definitely been in the works for a while, but I think I can safely say that I'll be able to show the end result very soon :sx:

As for power, its definitely in the long picture, I am still thinking low 400hp at the most, and as much low end torque as I can get. Since I am hoping to get serious into AutoX I want the responsiveness of the stock turbo, so I think the dom 1.5 is still a route, with a 8cm hotside.
    However, since I'm dramatically changing the handling of the car, I think it's best to run the car as is for a long while to get that sorted, I am suspecting I will have to up my sway bar and spring weights to balance the increase in grip.

11. Tperk90

Tperk90 Member

Always see you talk about it. Nice to finally see what the car looked like! Can't wait for the finished car!

12. liltoua

liltoua Member

Man all along I thought you had a member journal HAHA. Can't wait to see the progress!

13. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

:bigthumb: This makes me happy.

I can't wait to sit in your car and blacken some cones! Any idea of a time line yet?

14. Enzo

Enzo Supporting Member

Jeff I have known you for a couple years now and I have only seen the car once. I can't wait to see the new parts on it.

15. crazyazn

lol, yeah I never really thought to do one because I honestly thought I was done with my car to keep it DD friendly, now I figure because of AutoX and the karlton flares, I can hopefully be a reference point for others wanting to do this route. Also, I'm thinking I'll need insight on things in the future.

Yes, can't wait to get some instruction and seat time with you and others, I think the current eta for the bodywork is next week, then I have a lot of suspension and bushings to get on the car, and well praying the wheels fit on the front and can turn left and right without too much rubbing.

Yeah, Enzo I guess outside of going to dinner meets and mountain runs, I almost never drove the STI around, especially when I was daily commuting downtown.

16. b reel

b reel Active Member

so I guess we'll be seeing you in the Camry for a while longer since this will not be your daily... like it's been your daily

Didn't realize you were doing flairs, I thought you were going wide body according to the Judist Dew

17. crazyazn

Yeah, I guess it never was much of a daily, but now it may be a warm weather car because its kinda pricey to do a second set of wheels and all seasons for winter.

As for the wide body, yeah I guess it just was a miscommunication, just doing karlton flares, as that was in the budget. Though I do love the WRC front end just not so much on how the rear quarters are done on those replica kits.

18. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

YES.

My car has been down 3 times since yours was down 1 haha.

Let's see who arrives back on scene first :D

19. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

All seasons? Really no need for winter tires in Atlanta.....sure yall had one snowpacalypse but it only lasted for a few days. Matt and myself both faired quite well on RE11's a few years back in nasty ice/snow.

20. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Yeah, I've been rocking my Z1's for over a year, with 2 people racing and a DD. You'll have to find a better excuse not to daily drive your car ;)

21. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

I can say from last Sunday's auto-x that as close as our cars are in spec, you should certainly enjoy it with your planned setup :)

22. crazyazn

Well hopefully not much longer for the both of us!

23. crazyazn

Yeah I'm not really worried about the weather here in GA during the winter, it's more for the random winter cabin trip I sometimes do with a few friends. I'll see how bad my gas mileage is rolling the new tires at the least they actually weigh in a hair less than the PSS on my oem bbs which I was not expecting.

24. sil'vr-boi6

sil'vr-boi6 New Member

Wow, great looking ride. The RE30 will not peel like a banana like those Rotas did, I will be getting rid of my rotas for Enkeis soon.

25. crazyazn

Niice, yeah I'm thinking in the future of getting rpf1's for a second set and 10.5 instead of 11 so i can do autox with a 275 35 18 and be a bit lighter on the unsprung mass.

26. crazyazn

well typing to type as I wait for some renders to finish. The current status is that my car will be ready sometime next week. Super excited, saw a nifty sneak peak from Robb, now I really can't wait to see it in person.

27. liltoua

liltoua Member

The suspense is killing me!!! I've always seen the karlton setup in pictures but never in real life. Going to be awesome!

28. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Saw it yesterday. The color looks good

29. crazyazn

Yeah the suspense has been serious lol. Well plan is for me to be ready to chill with some of you all at IA coming up. Not usually my thing but I'm down for hanging out.

Dana how goes with your car? Thinking about IA? Maybe rollout with patrick, toua and I?

30. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

mines not done yet. I travel too much to finish it right now. I will be there though bright and early in Sam's GR.

31. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Can't wait to see the pics. Bet it'll look great.

My favorite car with those flares.
    [​IMG]

32. crazyazn

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.3; SCH-I545 Build/JSS15J) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/33.0.1750.166 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Yes, I cant wait to shoot some pics! That black one is such a nice build, tons of nifty things on that car.

33. crazyazn

Ah, well I'll give you a ring and catch up with you two, been a long while

34. RoMe

RoMe Active Member

So jelly!

35. digitizedsoul

I'm guessing IA is import alliance? And is this a private invite? I've never been.....

36. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Yes, import alliance. It. Pretty public event. Prepare to be overwhelmed if its your first time

37. crazyazn

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.3; SCH-I545 Build/JSS15J) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/33.0.1750.166 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Yes very public. Come out and play with us. I just hope I dont get beat up making fun of questionable tire setups

38. bullyhatch

bullyhatch Member

Nice! Good to finally see some pictures of your car! Beautiful wheels, can't wait to see them.

I'm going to IA this year too. Do you guys usually roll out together?

39. crazyazn

Hey man thanks!

As for IA, if my car is ready in time, I'll be meeting up with a few friends and members here at the varsity downtown at 7am (we are running early in hopes we can park in a decent spot).

40. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I dont think 7 will be early enough lol

Im working a booth and have to be there by 630

41. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

If IA doesn't pan out, there's always an auto-x you can set up shop at! :D

42. crazyazn

actually, yes. I'm planning on just doing IA for saturday, sunday i was going to go to the autoX. Won't run the car tho, I think the paint will be too soft.

43. crazyazn

Well i picked up my car from bryson's. It's still in a transitional phase but good enough to go play this weekend. But first off to Allpro tomorrow for a bunch of suspension bits to be installed.

Sadly, I didn't get the car until very late so I didn't get my coilover's installed (sorry Brandon), so hopefully they can fit in that install in their day. The saga continues, getting closer, see the general look of my paint, needs some more work, but getting there.

oh and how troll like, i have no pictures to add bc it was late when i got her.

44. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I know you are glad to have your car back. Looking forward to pics of the awesomeness!

45. b reel

b reel Active Member

don't you have a flash? maybe a timed exposure with a street light or is that too old school? too many wine spritzers last night?

46. liltoua

liltoua Member

Real photographers use phones to take pictures! ;)

[​IMG]

47. crazyazn

lol. i was tired, been working on a large project and literally at 10hrs of sleep this week.

I'll get pics soon, once I figure out how to get the wheels fitted.

48. liltoua

liltoua Member

Let me know if you need help Jeff

49. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I have beer I can drink while you two work on the car. :D

50. digitizedsoul

I will help with anything you need my friend, and I have all the tools as you can imagine at this point.