Crucial Racing Quicksteer column

Discussion in 'Product & Service Reviews' started by SkullWRX, Aug 13, 2005.

1. SkullWRX

SkullWRX Member

Ok, so here's the review... Scott please add your expert knowledge to this as well:

Vendor: Crucial Racing Systems (www.crucialracing.com)

Price: $524.99 shipped +200 deposit until core is returned.

Purpose: Changes steering ratio from 16.5:1 (three full turns lock to lock) to 11:1 (two full turns lock to lock).

Notes: Because this is a column and not a rack change, the number of degrees the wheels travel is left unchanged, they just turn more for each steering wheel input (ie at lock turning radius is the same as stock)

Review: Unbelievable handling change, especially at speed and in twisties. Steering is significantly heavier, but is not at all uncomfortable. In fact it's exactly where I would like it to be. There's still a little bit of play left to right when the wheel is centered, but you will not accidentally turn out of it like you can with a stock wheel. The increased weight compensates for the ratio change to help prevent overcorrection of the wheel.

The first thing I did on getting this column was sit for an hour in 85S traqffic from SOG (speeds everywhere from 0mph to 85mph). I did several lane changes and I did not have any problems or inconveniences from the faster steering. In city under normal driving conditions, I don't notice a whole lot of difference from stock other than the weight. But for reference, it only take about 1/2 turn to make a right instead of 3/4. The amount of turn decrease is significant but because of the weight I didn't really notice it until i paid specific attention to wheel turn.

When pushing the limits of my car, I found an *AMAZING* difference!! :bigthumb: Once you're up at speeds, zipping through the corners is incredibly easy and if you're lucky enough to find a chicane having to barely turn the wheel to work through it is perfect, you can just twitch it left, then right (or vice versa) and not even feel like you had to do any work. I'd put it as "telepathic" :naughty: I don't really know what else to say other than YOU MUST DRIVE THIS COLUMN TO GRASP THE FULL IMPACT! After all of the other suspension mods I've done, this is undoubtedly my favorite one! :wiggle:

:bigthumb: for Crucial Racing putting this product together!

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Thanks for the Review, I'd love it if they made one for the STi ;)

3. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

awesome man..wish i had a few more dollars to buy one for myself..sounds like a very good mod!!

4. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Cool!

I didnt know anybody made a quicker ratio steering rack for our cars. I'll probably pass on it for a long while though.