Dash Cams

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Matt, Feb 12, 2015.

1. orndog

orndog Member

Still waiting on a screaming deal.

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

crazyazn picked up the same one I bought 2 weeks ago for less than I paid.

3. Matt

4. orndog

orndog Member

5. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

i picked one of the Black Boxs up, the mass produced G1W-C that goes under many labels off an Amazon vendor with good reviews.

works ok so far... hard to beat the entry price of 62$

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MIO2KRC

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  6. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

Finally getting around to ordering these. How are the black box cam's working for you guys a year later?

7. orndog

orndog Member

I didn't get a Black Box but my SpyTec (or whatever it is) is still going.

8. Matt

I had one issue where it just kept power cycling itself instead of turning off. I don't know how it was doing it with no power going to it, but it was. I did a factory reset and it's been solid ever since.

9. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

mine are still running fine, i have two now for both my cars. Haven't had any issues, definitely works quite well at night when i got rear ended in my old camry daily.

10. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

They come up on sale on Amazon and Massdrop frequently. Massdrop requires an account but they've got all sorts of neat gear to consider.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

11. orndog

orndog Member

12. Mad Mallard

update on mine.

I got the capacitor one as opposed to the rechargeable battery one due to summer heat down here. The Cap life however doesnt hold a charge longer than 2 days.

It also sometimes doesnt recognise the microsd class10 card in it when i power it up, forcing me to reboot.

the 'light' on it is useless.

the lense has a respectable field of view, and the codec looks ok, the nightime capture is good enough to get the point

I didn't actually pay for this, i used discover points, but I dont know if i'd buy it with actual money.

13. Matt

14. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

So if you were to buy one, which model would you buy now that you've tried this one?

15. Mad Mallard

I haven't looked at the competition that has arrived since I got this one so I don't know what to compare it to.

Between the Battery and the Capacitor version, I probably still wouldn't get the battery one just because of summer heat and direct sunlight (since i leave it clamped up and dont take it down).

also the cap charge is closer to 4 days, i guess i was exaggerating.

16. Matt

working on my second summer and my car lives outside. not a single issue from the device.