Diff fluid and transmission fluid

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Holc13WRX, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Holc13WRX

Holc13WRX Supporting Member

Hey guys,

I need to change my diff fluid (front and rear) and transmission fluid.

What viscosity should I be looking to use? and what brands do you guys recommend?

2013 wrx stage 2 with 30k miles.

Thanks!

2. liltoua

liltoua Member

Since you have a newer car I would just recommend OEM for both front and rear. The older 5 speed suck, but you don't have that problem :)....well yours isn't that bad HAHA

3. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

agreed i would stick with the stock stuff. I believe they are still using subaru extra s.

edit: also you have the newer torsen rear diff so you can put extra s in their (much cheaper than lsd fluid that i have to use)

4. Holc13WRX

5. crazyazn

yup thats the stuff, it must be a new think for it to come by the quart. i got used to going to the dealer with a empty milk just and buying it that way.

i know on the 6spd it takes 4qts, i would imagine its the same or similar for the 5spd. As for the rear diff, my car takes 1L of diff fluid, which is just about a qt. SO I guess you can get away with 5qts

6. Holc13WRX

Thanks for the help man. Yeah I just read that the transmission on mine takes 3.7 and the rear diff takes .8. should be fine with 5

7. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

I got mine from the dealership too. They have it in giant barrels, so you can't just get quarts like oil. They had to pump it out into something.
    I am sure you already know this, but this stuff STINKS!!! Be sure not to wear anything you want to keep!

8. Sok is carrying it in smaller (quart?) containers at the same price as bulk..Check with your local dealer.

9. LoveMyNewSoob

LoveMyNewSoob Member

Good to know as I am nearing the 90K service...

10. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

is it the same for all subie diffs? my outback cover is leaking, need open, clean, seal it and refill...

11. Mad Mallard

i ask because the manual show 80w/90 for front and rear diffs...

12. crazyazn

it kinda depends, the front diff shares the fluid in the transmission, and in my case of a older 06 sti, I have a clutch based rear lsd that needs lsd specific fluid, the torsen diffs use normal gear oil.

so i would think if it doesnt specify subaru lsd oil, then regular gear oil/ extra s would work

13. Mad Mallard

well, in my case its not shared, 4eat and all...

14. weepel

weepel New Member

Looking to do a fluid swap soon - car is shifting like shit in the cold and I don't know if the fluid has ever been changed (I'm the 2nd owner)

Any thoughts on whether this is in-fact the same as what the dealer has in 5-gallon barrels? Lots of noise on the internets about how it's not actually extra-S:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3542880

Anyone know if the dealer in-fact is still using "true" extra-S?

I'm running Amsoil 75w-90 in my BRZ and am happy with it, but most people say steer away from synthetics in the WRX/STI.