don't know where to start

Discussion in 'General Community' started by I3unz, Mar 28, 2006.

1. I3unz

I3unz Member

i'm trying to upgrade my car but don't know where to start
    probably cuz i don't know anything about cars...turbocharged ones especialy
    can some one help me?

2. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

buy a gutted Uppipe from some of the pople here on the boards that have them lying around, then go with a downpipe

3. I3unz

I3unz Member

is a downpipe big metal thing that hooks up to your turbo and goes under the car?

4. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

yes it is

5. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

yeah, the downpipe hooks up at the turbo and is the start of the exhaust...

headers -> uppipe -> turbo -> downpipe -> catback exhaust

If you are wanting GO mods, start with the gutted uppipe. then upgrade your downpipe or if you have the money turboback exhaust.

you want to get the exhaust system to flow better

6. I3unz

I3unz Member

hmmm...when i got my car it already had a downpipe so i thought it was stock or is it...

and i'm guessing i already have a uppipe to...

7. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

you already have all of it but you need to replace them with catless ones if you want to open the exhaust up.

8. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

What year is your car? If it's an 04 or 05 I will disagree with the above recommendations and say that engine management should be done first, or in conjunction with exhaust.

Also, you can get a high flow catted downpipe, which will give you very good gains as well without assaulting mother nature too badly. Lots of us are running the Helix catted downpipe.

So for an 04/05 I would say: Engine management, uppipe/downpipe, catback would be a good start.

9. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

if the avitar is a pic of the car, then it looks like a bugeye...

and +1 on a catted downpipe

10. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

:rofl: you are so right

11. I3unz

I3unz Member

its a 02

how do i know if my downpipe is stock or aftermarket
    my friends tell me it looks like an aftermarket but there not sure...

12. longfury

longfury Active Member

I would say this...Educate yourself about your car before doing anything.

I know that sounds rude but it is the cheapest mod you can do. Read NASIOC and here and any other Subaru forum and you will learn alot. Also don't just throw random parts at the car. Do you research first.

Once thats done go for a catless uppipe. I went with a catless downpipe and a catted 3rd cat pipe. Then get some engine managment so you don't blow it up.

13. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

come to a meet and have one of us look at it

14. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

very good point, longfury

another thing i was going to ask is if you thought about doing any suspension upgrades?

i bought my car fully modded. but if i was going to buy an new or unmodded WRX/STi, i would get familiar with the car's attitude first. then do some suspension upgrades.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  15. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I believe the most important question is what does your budget look like? Also, I have a gutted upipe for sale if you are interested.

16. I3unz

I3unz Member

i feel stupid asking simple quesions but i do it so that i'll learn more about cars its one of my main reasons i joined this forum so that i could get help from you guys

17. longfury

longfury Active Member

Not a problem. But that said we don't know everything. :) We are all willing to teach as much as we can.

Welcome aboard. Enjoy the WRX. I miss mine more than I can put into words. :wtc:

18. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

don't feel stupid for asking questions... that's how you learn these things and most importantly, this is a friendly site! we don't flame...

unless you're amol :pssh:

19. I3unz

I3unz Member

i do want to attend the meeting but its a lil to far from where i stay

20. Meredith

Meredith Banned

Try to swing by an autox, the mostly take place at Gwinnett co fairgrounds on sunday. Most people, including myself, will give you fun rides. You can most likely get a good idea of what you want to do your car after riding around at an autox, and you might become addicted as well :).

21. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

Just don't let Milo drive it :eek:hnoes:

22. Deke

Deke Active Member

what are you looking to get for it?

23. Alex

One of the foundatonal principles of this community is for everyone to learn more about their cars, that's why we're enthusiasts, we just love cars. With that said, you should never be afraid to ask a question, we have a newbie section for that. Ask until you're blue in the face :)

Alex

24. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

don't be bashfull asking questions. i bought my sti site unseen. and really was a dumbass when i got the car. Fast forward two years later, I'm still a dumbass, but i know a few things about these cars, but i think i learn something new everyday. There are several very, very knowlegdable people on this site, Genya, Scott Siegel, and Slowwrx to name a few. This site is one of the wells of knowlegde you may find, use it to your advantage.

25. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

low blow

26. bigb996

bigb996 teh Wannabe Mod

uppipe for sure! then some springs!

27. WrxCrazy

WrxCrazy Active Member

i would go with sumthing u know u can trust with, like a full tune up package, cost abt 1.5 k and gets everything u need, an up-pipe, down pipe, turbobak, and a cai and eurtek

28. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

where did u find that deal?

29. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

I would disagree with everyone and say the first mod should be to upgrade your wheels and tires. If you are still running the Stock RE92s there is a ton of improvement to gain from stickier tires. You can ask anyone in the Subaru world and everyone will agree that the RE92s are very lacking in grip.

It is one of the most expensive single item upgrades you can do and will drastically change the look and handling of the car.

Also, a good driving school like SS does will greatly improve your ability to control the car.

Aside from that, like said above, if you want go fast upgrades, uppipe, downpipe, and Catback are good. Depending on what choice you go with for Engine Management will also direct you in the mod path.

If you plan on doing EcuTek, then you will want to do the exhaust and a couple other go fast mods, then tune. If you go with AP, you can start with that and do the stage 1 and go from there. Adding mods later is easy since you can just download a new map. With EcuTek, any major mods will need to be tuned for which will cost money each time.

30. Agreed, though i just did my tires and i thought my rims were good enough. Though, its good to learn with RE92s for a while, but you should up them first. I ordered 4 Eagle F1 GS-D3s and they should be here any time soon...

31. Alex

If you need me to get you a gutted UP, let me know.

32. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

just about everyone here is very knowledgable and friendly. you won't have a problem learning as long as you don't have a problem asking :)

that said, you need to figure out what your car's purpose will be. so definitely go to the get-togethers and ride around and ask each person what their goal for their car is. some go for track/autox, some for drag, some for show, etc.

what other cars have you had or rode in? what did you like/ about them?

and definitely go to one of siegel's driving schools
    ( http://www.siegelracing.com/instructor_history.htm ) .
    it does a world of good. to paraphrase a good quote "to go faster, first tune the nut behind the wheel"

Last edited: Apr 4, 2006