Door card wear

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Mad Mallard, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

So I had my door card off to diagnose a blown tweeter...

and I was looking at the back of it because my arm has completely worn off the surface and finishing of the top vinyl upholstery.

there isnt too much complicated going on and was wondering how hard it would be to re upholster that part. I see shallow furniture staples, and adhesive overspray, as well as a few screws...

but theres also plastic rivets that would have to be removed to do it and i have no idea what to do about those.

suggestions?

2. Are they rivets or just melted parts of the plastic?I have not had mine off but that is the way a lot of other cars have their door panels made..If so you probably will have a very hard time with them.Photo might help.

3. Mad Mallard

i figured plastic riveting was melted by design, but I may be a moron (lab results still out).

4. b reel

b reel Active Member

when dealing with problem, take a short self tapping screw and washer with glue and reattach. depending on depth sometimes you may have cut the screw.

5. Mad Mallard

is Jo-Ann's a good place to shop for replacement Vinyl? or somewhere else?

6. b reel

b reel Active Member

I'd hit the webz or local trim shops before going there, you'll need automotive grade.

7. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

I have used Midwest Fabrics before to get vinyl for an Outback. It was
    almost a perfect match to the tan.