Doug's soon to be EPIC BRZ build..

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Doug@DBW Motorsports, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Bought it 1-17-14 with 6 miles on it.

Big plans for this little guy!

2. b reel

b reel Active Member

look forward to the thread, Lucy incarnate?

3. Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

I will be looking forward to your progress.

4. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

This is either going to end in no traction or awd swap somehow someway. :D

5. Tperk90

Tperk90 Member

Cant wait for this one!

6. wlee32

wlee32 New Member

Subscribed!!!! Haha! Maybe a weekend local "meet" at TSM?

7. techlord

techlord Active Member

Thanks a bunch for this massive tease Douglas! How about a few pictures and some hints on your direction?

8. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

Ha, forgot Doug had an account on here.

Can't imagine this project won't be fast & fun. Nice to see you back on something you actually enjoy *cough* GTR's *cough*

9. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Doug is likely getting bored with the GTR's....too easy to make them do virtually anything.

Ahem will this be a OLOA 2014 car? Please say yes!

10. techlord

techlord Active Member

OLOA...haha
    They are Winners and would settle for nothing less. So unless he's stuffs a GTR's drive line under the BRZ I don't see how they could get to the top.

11. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Who said that a GTR isn't being built dude? And you severely under estimate TSM and Leh combined.

12. chameleon

chameleon Member

This!

13. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

14. techlord

techlord Active Member

Not me!
    I'm stating that platform to my knowledge can't throw down enough pony power to compete against 700+wheel GTR's that show up at OLOA. I'd love to see a LS swap or GTR retrofitted for that car. One thing for sure it will make crazy power but I'm sure they are developing to capture a growing market for that vehicle.

15. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

I know Leh talked very highly of the one he drove at the Nurburgring. It would be so funny to see him in one at OLoA and win.

16. benfrancis

benfrancis Member

I'm exited to see what voodoo magic happens to the BRZ.

17. GA Scooby

GA Scooby Member

Hope this turns out well. The more the FA20 is developed, the better.

18. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

LS2 swap?

19. dwx

dwx Member

There are some very high HP 86's, but few running the FA20 engine. :) There have been a couple LS6 swaps, a number of 2JZ swaps, IS-F engine, and built EJs. There are a couple 2JZ cars making over 1000HP, someone just posted a built turbo 2AZFE one making 700WHP. Now putting the power down compared to a GTR... not going to happen. The highest HP FA20 cars are in the 450-500WHP range. Full Blown Motorsports has done a lot of development on the cars and has parts to bolt a Supra transmissions, put in a 8.8 domestic rear-end, etc. Just takes $$$.

Looking forward to see what Doug does with the car.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  20. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

I hope topspeed brings a relatively mild but well tuned BRZ and brings home the economy car trophy as a side project to gtr in OLOA.

21. techlord

techlord Active Member

22. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Hints from the source would be great....

I agree that it would be great to see a staged upgrade approach to give some realistic options to those BRZ platform owners jonesing for power to match chassis dynamics.

Not everyone wants a 700whp monster......nor should most of them have one

23. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

This is Doug's car we are talking about. I remember his red hatch. Oh it's gonna be a mild street build like most all customers will do. Next thing you know its getting a full built engine and a GT35R.

24. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Built motor and big turbo is what most customers do to there GR's nowadays, where have you been?

25. jchon3

jchon3 Supporting Member

I want to see a twin scroll set up like this

[​IMG]

26. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Not by choice....LOL

27. Justin V

Justin V Member

Happy first week of ownership.

I hope you've enjoyed the 6 days of people razzing you about what you are going to do to the car you have owned for 7 days. lol

28. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Sorry guys... I haven't gotten around to taking pics. Still trying to decide on what wheels to buy. As for power I plan on building it relatively mild at first. Then get crazy with it doing a compound FI setup.

29. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  30. digitizedsoul

compound!
    whole lot of win in that statement.

31. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Figure I should make a small update here since I have now had the car for two weeks and just broke 600miles :)

As of now I have done the following mods:
    - Cat delete mod to the OEM header
    -TSM 3" overpipe/downpipe combo
    -Tomei 80mm Titanium catback
    -Matte Bronze RPF1 18x9.5 +38
    -Swift Lowering springs-
    -5% Tint
    -TSM custom E85 Dyno tune

I have a AMS style carbon trunk that should be here sometime this week that I will send to get painted body color. As well I have ordered all my flanges and double slip merge collectors to start building my turbo kit which will use a GTX30r as starters. I also will be installing front and rear brembo's from a 2011 sti

Things I am undecided on.... front lip, coilovers, side skirt extensions...

MY BRZ

[​IMG]

DYNOGRAPH
    [​IMG]

32. Tperk90

Tperk90 Member

Sick!!

33. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Did you get rid of the m3?

34. whitepony22

whitepony22 Member

Just curious, why does the torque curve dip down in the 3200 rpm range?

Looking good though.

35. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

That's the switchover from primary to secondary injectors or vice versa...cant remember which.

36. whitepony22

whitepony22 Member

Fair enough. Always wondered why almost every FA20 dyno graph I've seen had that similar dip.

37. jchon3

jchon3 Supporting Member

Switch over from port injection to direct?

38. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

correct.

39. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

That's the verbiage I was looking for. Thanks for clarifying.

40. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Pardon the ignorant questions as I don't read into the BRZ community....

What was the point of using dual fuel delivery systems?
    Can the system be converted to one OR the other?
    What pros/cons would that entail?

41. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

From my understanding emissions had a LOT to do with it.

42. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

and fuel efficiency

43. b reel

b reel Active Member

manifold mounted injector keeps the intake valves clean from sucking in the crappy exhaust gas and crank/head vents.

44. slade1274

slade1274 Member

I get that... but makers have been successful achieving each of those challenges with either of those fuel delivery options.

45. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Actually it has nothing to do with the port injection switch over. Its just a huge drop in VE in that certain area. Interesting thing is once you FI the dip is completely gone. Also interesting that you can make 300whp on factory fuel system.

Me thinks they intended this to be a low boost turbo motor from the start, but it was too quick and they can't have it running faster then the STI flagship car.

46. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Interesting. But what actually causes the VE to drop? I don't understand how that works? How does the VE drop in the middle of a power curve? There has to be something physically doing it right? Head flow design or something?

47. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Sure they can.... put an STi badge on it and charge the same amount. They would share a small amount of the market. Many STi owners are that was for the AWD, so few would migrate to a BRZ.... I'd bet some Subaru die hards would have both in the garage.

48. superhawk28

superhawk28 Member

Umm the regular BRZ Limited IS nearly the same price as a STi to start with.

49. digitizedsoul

lol doug, i got banned from nasioc for 2wks for bringing this up.
    I was discussing how they already had the FB20 (in my wifes 2013 impreza) and that the FA20 was supposed to be FI, but they changed their mind.
    I theorized it had something to do with toyota and their part in it too and some non agreement there, but meh.

i agree with you though, and the fuel system kinda confirms it.

50. longfury

longfury Active Member

The BRZ Limited I have cost $28.5K That is WRX money, not STI money. STI starts at $35K MSRP.